Lovebird

critterman

Jan 1, 2011
Maryland
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure.
Hi can anyone tell me how loud do lovebirds get? I might get one and am concerned about the noise. Also need some help with diet issues and what to feed. Thanks, Critterman

cdnbirdlover

Aug 24, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Peach faced lovebird Basil
I don't think my lovebird is loud. Can I hear him when he gets going? Absolutely. But I like all the songs and peeps in his repertoire. There are several "lovebird singing" videos on youtube that give you an idea of how they sound, not necessarily their volume but the types of sounds they make.

I converted Basil to a pellet-based diet when he came to us. He had been eating a seed mix but formulated pellets are what the avian vet and another reputable source recommended. It was a bit of a challenge converting him but now Harrison's pellets are the main part of his diet. They should be offered fresh fruits and veggies daily as well. Basil doesn't like fruit and the only veggie he will eat consistently is broccoli. So he gets broccoli two or three times a day. Millet and broken up sunflower seeds are for treats and training.

That's some starter info for you based on my experience; there are other members here who have more experience to share.

mistywaterwoman

Jan 25, 2013
New Orleans, LA
Parrots
2 Peach-faced lovebirds (1 SeaGreen)
I have to say, mine are louder than I expected. Especially Periwinkle, when he gets going. He's a shrieker. Honeydew is a little quieter, she just sings mostly. It could be because she spends most of her time upside down, hanging from the toys, whereas Peri is just sitting on different perches all day.
The "volume" isn't too bad, it's just that they are shrill. If I'd spent any time around anyone else's lovebirds, I might have hesitated before getting mine. Only now that I have them, and love them so much, I can't give them up and will just have to deal with it, lol. My hubby wants to shoot them some days, though.

If the house is quiet, they are quiet(er) and just sing. It's sweet. If we all start talking or the TV is too loud, they compete for volume. I read that it's them "singing with their flock", lol. :p

As for diet, I do seeds and pellets mixed, and give a little fresh food every day. Millet twice a week.

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
I have two pets, separate cages, one female (11 years) and one male (2 years). They are medium loud but not anything like say a Sun Conure or white cockatoo (or even my loud Congo Grey). Their noise doesn't bother me as bad as say a male cockatiel's vocalization. The female is quiet most of the day, but she sings to the sun in the mornings. Early. The male calls to me all day (when he's not on me). I just talk back to him and he is quiet for a bit. But, if ignored, lovebirds can be pretty loud. Go spend time with one and see if it grates on your nerves (like male cockatiel noise does to me). That's the only way you'll know for sure.

cdnbirdlover

Aug 24, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Peach faced lovebird Basil
When Basil gets going we call it "peaching"...peach-faced lovebird screeching. He is the loudest when he's asking (demanding) to be let out of his cage. I don't find him that loud though. And I have a big echo-y house with hardwood floors. He will sing and chirp along with the kids practising piano and when I'm crashing around in the kitchen. Noise begets noise...maybe we are noisy??

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
I have a male Black-Cheeked Lovebird and he is VERY quiet. But again, I own Caiques HA!

Most Reactions

Latest posts