Lovebirds good pets?

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
Hi! I am new to birkeeping but definetly not new to birds. I have been doing research for about two years and i have narrowed my choices down to getting either a lovebird, cockatiel or parrotlet. I want something that could hang out with me virtually any minute i am home but i would be gone for school. I dont mind cleaning up messes as i suspect i am OCD. The cage i have could fit a conure at most, better suited for smaller birds. Although one day i would LOVE to be owned by a hyacinth macaw, i can't go on parrotless! Any suggestions? Thanks:blue:

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
:rainbow1:I think all 3. Are good for you. I recommend lovebirds so before you go to school you can cover the cage with a blanket so while your at school theHy could be rested . Give them A LOT of chew toys as they are know to be good chewers

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I would go for a cockatiel... They are the best pet bird in the world...

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird~Precious, Sennie~Snoopy,Hahns Macaw~Fiona
If you end up choosing a lovebird make sure you get one hand fed do not buy one from Petco or Petdmart. Only because those are not tame. Try to get a male one verses a female. Female lovebirds can be very moody and nippy. I have had mine for 14 years and she is bonded only to my 14 year old teenage daughter. My daughter loves the lovebird more than anyother that I have ever adopted. Cockatiels make great pets but beware of their dander. Some people like myself can't stand dander. I had to rehome all my cockatiels. Good luck in your search for parrot friend.

cdnbirdlover

Aug 24, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Peach faced lovebird Basil
If you end up choosing a lovebird make sure you get one hand fed do not buy one from Petco or Petdmart. Only because those are not tame. Try to get a male one verses a female. Female lovebirds can be very moody and nippy. I have had mine for 14 years and she is bonded only to my 14 year old teenage daughter. My daughter loves the lovebird more than anyother that I have ever adopted. Cockatiels make great pets but beware of their dander. Some people like myself can't stand dander. I had to rehome all my cockatiels. Good luck in your search for parrot friend.

I (perhaps naively) purchased a one year old lovebird who was not hand-tamed/hand-fed. We think Basil is a male but you can't tell for sure. He's been with us four months and has recently started hopping onto my or my daughter's shoulders. He started coming to us for treats but now he is quite content to sit on my shoulder forever. We have had to be very patient with him as he was quite scared of us at first and wouldn't even take food from our fingers. We started by giving him treats through the cage and just letting him get used us. He's still scared of hands but is okay with arms and shoulders.

He is so clever and so funny. We love him to pieces.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I never owned a Lovie but I have heard wonderful stories about them :)
There is a member here Joey , who has a beautiful Lovie named Cloud.
Cloud has changed my mind on Lovies , I never knew that they were so friendly and playful ! Wonderful little birds :)

fluffypoptarts

Oct 3, 2012
Lovebirds are amazing pets/companions if you're willing to spend the time with them that they need. They're very intelligent and have a lot of personality. Very affectionate, too, but not so much that they're needy or incapable of being fine without you for part of the day. My older lovebird likes to cuddle up and doze on my chest in the evenings while we watch TV. <3 My younger, while nowhere near that calm, likes to sit on me and will play with my fingers and cuddle against my face for long minutes while we make kissy noises back and forth. :)

As someone else said, get a handfed/hand-raised baby, and it's worth it to DNA test to make sure you get a male. They're far more friendly and you won't have the concerns about reproductive system issues.

amysaviary

Dec 16, 2011
Chambersburg PA
Parrots
African Grey-Kenya
Blue and Gold- Baby
Jenday Conure- Izzy
Hahns Macaw- Derby
Cockatiel- Lemon
Senegal-Dylan

I breed, Sun, Green Cheek, Black Capped and Crimson Bellied Conures. Also IRN's
I use to breed lovebirds and yes get a handfed and hand raised male. Pay for DNA before u get the bird or find a breeder that includes DNA. Also please only get 1!!!! They bond very strongly to another bird so if u keep 1 they will bond to u! Male single lovebirds make great pets, get a baby from a breeder and have DNA done. I don't breed them anymore because I was tired of arguing about only getting 1. Everyone thinks they need to have 2. I tried to tell people I could make more money if I sold u 2 but I will not sell 2 at a time they make better pets alone, so if that was not true y would I not make more money and sell 2??? I just got so tired of it so I sold them all! My pet lovebird Peaches died a few years ago and I miss that little bird!

Cockatiels can make great pets as well but the dander can be hard to deal with if u have allergies. Males & Females both make good pets. (I have tiels now I am starting to breed)

I also use to breed parrotlets, I don't think they make great pets, they get very nippy so I stopped breeding them.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I would not cover a bird during the day while you are at school they need the daylight like we do . I have never had a lovebird as a pet ,however the last house we lived in up north only had one close set of neighbors , we lived back in the woods and the two kids next door were about the same age as our two grandsons that we used to babysit for, the 4 kids played together all the time .Jake the oldest boy next door had a lovebird that he had gotten when the bird was a few years old but he and that bird were totally bonded. as soon as he came home from school that bird was on his shoulder like he was velcroed on. they would be running around climbming trees, playing ball catching frogs inthe swamp etc. The funniest summer was the year all 4 kids decided to do pogo stick jumpling contests in our driveway. Everyday theyed be jumping and that birds wings would be flapping for dear life but he never lost his grip. should have gotten it on video tape. I also heard that you should keep one at a time if you want that kind of bond:D

fluffypoptarts

Oct 3, 2012
My lovebirds are in separate rooms, but can still call to each other. (I also frequently call to them from wherever I am in the house.) They both get window views on the garden, and both have another bird in the same room for company (though a different species). They remain uncovered until I go to sleep, and get to listen to the radio all day. :)

brookysmom

Aug 3, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
2 Parrotlets, a Blue Fronted Amazon.
I also would not cover the bird while gone Just leave a TV or radie playing and possibly place the cage near where he can see out a window You need to watch though and make sure that wherever he is sitting that at No time during the day does it get full constant sun or that he has the ability to move in the cage that part has sun and part does not.

I used to raise Lovebirds many years ago. They are great little birds but can be a handful for a new owner. These guys are sweethearts and can be happy hanging out with you and getting into things. My Rocky used to love to help my Son do homework he would steal paper and try and tuck it into his tail (they do that looks so funny)
We had to be sure he had lots of balls and strips to play with so my sons homework stayed safe.

I currently have a pair of Parrotlets that i occasionally breed if i have enough people interested in babies. These little birds can be a handful as well if not handled daily for a while. They are quite the little clowns and love to play on the bottom of their cages with little balls and foot toys that are for a bird that's larger. They are VERY active these birds seem to Never sit still. They are like energizer birdies. but also love to sit and get scratches.

Cockatiels are what I recommend to first time owners. I do a lot of education talks locally for schools seniors scouts etc. They are very personable and are really fun to have as a pet. they also do not bring with them the noise the other two bring into a home./ Of course they are the ones with the most dander so if you have allergies this may not be a good fit.

Finally you mention School are you speakign as in high school or lower? or college?
I ask as if you are in high school or lower Please make sure that your parents are willing to take the bird while you are in college if you can not handle owning a pet and doing college.
All of these birds live for 20 years or better. So keep in mind this will be your responsibility for MANY years. When you go to college fall in love, start a career get married and have kids. So remember he will be there through it all.

i only add this part as i have done rescue work for the past 12 years and so many of those we get in that are cockatiels are given up due to young people going to college and the parent not wishing to care for it. Oh and because the parents may one day be the owner and because it is honestly better for the bird it is best to keep the bird in a living area where the bird interacts with family and not in your room where it is only with you Mind you having a extra cage or play area in your room for him if fine too.

Good luck in your choice. I know some wonderful people who breed all or one of these if you need a recommendation when you decide shoot me a message with your location i will do my best to help.

Oh and Hello Amy from Myself Pancho and the flock , :10:

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Anytime you get a pet always get them from a breeder as from petco and petsmart, none of there pets are tamed, I learned that the hard way I got both of my parakeets from there took. Me 2 months for them to fully trust me.

Most Reactions