macaw foot problems

babylola

Aug 15, 2011
i have a 1 year old scarlet macaw. i noticed that when she stands on flat surfaces she has 3 toes facing forward, instead of 2. its only on one foot. i noticed it bcuz she wasnt really walking, and if she would start to she would walk in a strange way. she hasnt always been like that(this just started), she used to walk normal and there used to be only 2 toes facing forwards. she has a vet appointment, so dont think i am not giving her the care she needs. i was wondering has any1 had a similar experience or have any idea why this happened? and do u think there is a cure? but no matter what i will always love my baby :smile015:

mele

Jul 26, 2011
California
Parrots
Lotty- Umbrella Cockatoo,
Scarlet- Scarlet Macaw,
Paco- Lilac Amazon, Josh-blue front amazon
Very odd.....
Im glad to hear she's going to see her vet. Im curious as to what would cause this. Please keep us posted.

Last edited:
OP
B

babylola

Aug 15, 2011
we took her to the vet today to see what was wrong with her. nothing was broken or damaged. the problem was that she was really weak,because she has some kind of infection. so the vet told us to give her some antibiotics and hopefully she will get better.

mele

Jul 26, 2011
California
Parrots
Lotty- Umbrella Cockatoo,
Scarlet- Scarlet Macaw,
Paco- Lilac Amazon, Josh-blue front amazon
My thoughts are with her.

Get well soon

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Did the vet point out what cause the infection? How long have you had her?

OP
B

babylola

Aug 15, 2011
thanks.
the vet wasnt 100% sure what caused the infection, but he said it could had been from a virus or something in the air. i've had her for about 7 months. he said it wasnt anything to be too worried about, but if she doesnt improve soon they will do some blood test.

OP
B

babylola

Aug 15, 2011
So shr hasnt been getting any better. We already made her an app. To do some blood test and whatever else needs to be done.

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
Out of curiosity, what type of med did he put her on? Dose? Oral or injection? Did he culture and do a sensitivity test before he threw antibiotics at her?

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I second the culture and sensitivity. VERY important! Antibiotics can do more harm than good in humans and animals, if they're not given appropriately. They kill off the good flora along with any bad, and it can cause digestive problems (among others).

And if it's viral, antibiotics won't do anything for it.

Most Reactions