Male or female

birdy_numnum

Jun 14, 2013
Media
Parrots
Alexandrine Parakeet
Hi my birds are about a year and a half old, no sighn of any red ring round their neck, could both my birds be females, of do they take longer to mature?

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That one with the larger flatter head and large beak is probably male. The other has a noticeably smaller beak and probably female, at least it looks that way from pictures. They should start the molting soon at that age. I think it probably takes a few molts to complete the ring?

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Your birds are beautiful, that's for sure! There's no way of telling their gender at this age, except for DNA testing. Males can take up to three years to develop the neck ring. Some say they see definite signs of the ring during the second moult, but my Barney is showing no signs of his ring and he's due for his third moult soon. Mind you, it could be that Barn is a Lady, but he was supposed to have been DNA tested as a chick. I'll just have to wait to find out, as you will. :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
IF I remember right, it takes them around 2 years or so to really show.....

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Your birds are beautiful, that's for sure! There's no way of telling their gender at this age, except for DNA testing. Males can take up to three years to develop the neck ring. Some say they see definite signs of the ring during the second moult, but my Barney is showing no signs of his ring and he's due for his third moult soon. Mind you, it could be that Barn is a Lady, but he was supposed to have been DNA tested as a chick. I'll just have to wait to find out, as you will. :)

Three years Trish? Wow. I knew the Psittacula took a long time to color in, but I didn't know it took that long to even START!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
If it turns out my gorgeous Barney is really a Bernadette, you'll hear me wailing clear across the Specific Ocean! I don't think so, though: he's much more massive in the head and body than Madge is and he just 'feels' male. Madge rules the roost, though. She's a bully of the first water!

Diesel_Hyland

May 26, 2013
Media
Tuakau, New Zealand
Parrots
'Diesel' the Alexandrine
Hi there
Our Diesel is one and a half also, I have attached some photos for you.
Every bird is different though, some are late developers, but I think you have at least one female there.:green1::green1::green2::green2:

Attachments

• diesel plumage 1.jpg
    diesel plumage 1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 285
  • Diesel plumage 2.JPG
    Diesel plumage 2.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 199

UMARKHANMARDAN

May 20, 2013
Hi Brdy Numnum Thrish is right its not the right time to judge which is male & which is female.If any of them is male after six months you will come to know.If you wanna know it right now DNA test is must.One of my Alex pair & A, gray pair layed eggs.Hope hatch next week.

Pigletguinea

Nov 29, 2013
New Zealand
Parrots
Alexandrine
1508166_10154117057845191_1457033408240972642_n.jpg

10338342_10154117057835191_7800814196916658631_n.jpg

Oskie was just under a year when I adopted him; after a month he started moulting and his ring came through (so he was about 1 when it first appeared). I'm guessing next moult it will come through a lot darker.
Guess it's different for each bird!

Most Reactions

Latest posts