Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
since my previous attempt at a photo did not work I will put up this one.
Same subject my two Green Cheek Amazons whom I refer to as.
the Twins.

23845d1583111179-march-2020-potm-contest-doubble-trouble-resized.jpg

View attachment 23845

Wow! Twins is the perfect nickname for Luna & Merlin! They are gorgeous!
Is it easier to tell them apart by personality differences or sight? My 2 BTCs look almost exactly alike but are so different in their actions that we can tell who is who by that (thank goodness because it would take much longer going by their looks..lol.)

Neptune Blue,
Because I love the sea, and because I saw a picture of the planet Neptune and it was the most amazing BLUE!! I had considered naming him Rain man.
laurasea-albums-neptune-blue-picture21910-img-20191007-095946153.jpg

Penny, because when I saw her stuffed in a tiny travel cage only inches larger than her body , and in which she couldn't stand up in because it was so small. She was covered head to toe in her own poop, with piles of poop in her cage, with her water covered in a film of algae. She was screaming, self mutilating, plucking, trying to bite.

I thought to myself , in for a Penny in for a pound.

Definition of in for a penny, in for a pound
British
–used to say that a person should finish what he or she has started to do even though it may be difficult or expensive
"If you want to quit, I'll understand." "No, I'm sure we can do this. In for a penny, in for a pound."

I thought she would be vicious, and take a lot of work. But she is a very sweet and funny bird, has the biggest sense of humor of any of my birds. She did take some work, mostly to engage her in life, to learn to fly, she still gets scared and lunges if I move quickly, but she pushes my hand away instead of bites now. I love her so much. I found get on a shelf in dark corner of a mom and pop store who was letting an employee re-home her. I wasn't looking for another bird, but I had to save her! I had to borrow money from two people to buy her. So worth it! I will make her my official entry!
laurasea-albums-penny-picture20261-img-20180803-183903536-3.jpg

Laura, Neptune is stunning! That colour blue is so beautiful and what a perfect name for him!

Penny's story touched my heart, I am so glad that you found her and changed her life! I love how you came up with her name, you are quite good at naming your babies! Penny is beautiful, great choice!

I wanted to post a photo here just for the heck of it. Who cares about winning?

But there is no way I can explain how Archie got his name without creating problems here, and the story is unbelievable!

Since you're worried about the story of how Archie got his name possibly creating an issue, please feel free to send it to me by PM and I can let you know if it's okay. You can also just post a Just For Fun picture without a story if you like! I know we would all love to see your baby:)

This is my budgie, North.
She came to me the name Norm (previous owner though she was male)

I wanted to attend Green Mountain college, one of the dorm halls I could have stayed in was North Hall. Since the college closed and I was devastated, I decided to name her after one of the buildings. Out of all the names, North fit her most.
Yep, she was named after dorm hall.
453e191b95769b39e1ba4f6e15519926.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy s8

North is so pretty! I love how you came up with her name, and the extra meaning it has for you. North fits her much better than Norm:)

tfw

Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2018
Parrots
B&G Macaw
We are huge Legend of Zelda fans in our house (we even named one of our kids after another Zelda character). So we named Kass after a character from Zelda Breath of the Wild. The character, Kass, is (surprise surprise) also a Blue and Gold Macaw! Ok officially his species in the game are called "Rito" but he's awfully B&G Macaw-like :)

Kass in BOTW is a wandering minstrel who sings along with his accordion and is actually quite helpful in the quest.

Side note: Just found out a few weeks ago Kass is actually a girl, but the name still works LOL

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
We are huge Legend of Zelda fans in our house (we even named one of our kids after another Zelda character). So we named Kass after a character from Zelda Breath of the Wild. The character, Kass, is (surprise surprise) also a Blue and Gold Macaw! Ok officially his species in the game are called "Rito" but he's awfully B&G Macaw-like :)

Kass in BOTW is a wandering minstrel who sings along with his accordion and is actually quite helpful in the quest.

Side note: Just found out a few weeks ago Kass is actually a girl, but the name still works LOL

What a great namesake for Beautiful Kass! The character definitely looks like a B&G. Kass is just as perfect for a girl! Now she just needs an accordion:)
I love names based on our interests, we have a few named for favourite TV characters.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)

JUST FOR FUN!!!! ^_^

NAME????

Kise: "I was wondering what MOM was thinking on naming me???"

2398391.jpeg

Mom named me "Kise" is because of this guy here... Do I even look like him????" :D :D :D

1160529.jpeg

kuroko-no-basket-basketbol-kuroko-kise-riota.jpg

kuroko-no-basuke-24-720p-mkv_snapshot_13-15_2013-05-14_17-25-53.jpg

The beautiful Kise! I think that Diva is working the name better than that anime guy ever could!

Parker’s name when he came to me was Porker. While he was well loved in his prior home, he definitely got rescued from that name. We named him Parker as a name similar to his own, since he was often saying his old name.

3WVY4Tu.jpg

Great call on the name change, my friend! Subtle, but it made all the difference! And that pic is pure gold! All love!

The story is a bit long
Me with my familly visited a zoo where I saw hanging parrots for the first time. They were the most adorable to my mum. There also was a poster with bats - two of them were upside down and one in (un)normal position. One of these hanging was saying "Zenek passed out!". After this trip my mum started calling all hanging parrots "Zeneks". She also wanted them to home but they are rarely met in aviculture.
A year later we got a conure. The first day he was walking in his Cage upside down and mum said "Zenek, Zenek!" ...and later we gave him this name
18380faa99fd2b2a43023a0801905175.jpg

Wysłane z mojego Redmi 5 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Can't go wrong with a name that came from mum! Always cool when the backstory has a personal, inside joke type of connection!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I named my GCC Ta-dah! Because from the first moment it is clear she likes to make a big entrance! She always lands with aplomb!!! Aplomb or Ta-dah explains it best. She's like Bam here I Am!! And then she cranes her neck to look at you and see if you are impressed! Ta-dah is also what she is thinking when she escapes her cage at mommy and me time ( if forgotten, 830 pm).
If I don't get her out if the cage at 830, then she flys through the dark house to land on me Ta-dah! 3 different cages, zip tied all doors, very narrow bar spacing. I don't know how;?! She never gets out at any other time.....
laurasea-albums-neptune-blue-picture21079-img-20190127-094725021-2.jpg

As you know by now, I've always been in love with your bird and her name! And even better that my reasons for being so enamored by the name dovetail so well with your actual reasons for giving her that name! So very fitting! "Ta-dah!!!"

His name is "Sludge", ladies and gentlemen!

lamanuka-albums-mars-birds-picture20773-sludge-monster.jpg

This is Sludge, our previous purple crown, pictured circa 1998. We originally named him "Roger" but weren't really happy with that. One night while watching a major football match with commentary provided by a well known Australian comedy duo, we heard them use the nickname "Sludge" for one of the players. As everyone here knows, lorikeets are infamous for what is produced from their rear ends, so the name was deemed appropriate, and way more fun :)

Sludge was beautiful! Enough so I was initially wondering at the choice of name. But once you mentioned Lorikeet poop, I definitely saw your vision! Hahaha! Sludge, indeed!

since my previous attempt at a photo did not work I will put up this one.
Same subject my two Green Cheek Amazons whom I refer to as.
the Twins.

23845d1583111179-march-2020-potm-contest-doubble-trouble-resized.jpg

View attachment 23845

The Twins! That title is very much on point. Wow! I'd have a lot of trouble telling these two apart! But as the parent, I bet you've got it down. Both beautiful, though.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Neptune Blue,
Because I love the sea, and because I saw a picture of the planet Neptune and it was the most amazing BLUE!! I had considered naming him Rain man.

Penny, because when I saw her stuffed in a tiny travel cage only inches larger than her body , and in which she couldn't stand up in because it was so small. She was covered head to toe in her own poop, with piles of poop in her cage, with her water covered in a film of algae. She was screaming, self mutilating, plucking, trying to bite.

British
—used to say that a person should finish what he or she has started to do even though it may be difficult or expensive
"If you want to quit, I'll understand." "No, I'm sure we can do this. In for a penny, in for a pound."

I thought she would be vicious, and take a lot of work. But she is a very sweet and funny bird, has the biggest sense of humor of any of my birds. She did take some work, mostly to engage her in life, to learn to fly, she still gets scared and lunges if I move quickly, but she pushes my hand away instead of bites now. I love her so much. I found get on a shelf in dark corner of a mom and pop store who was letting an employee re-home her. I wasn't looking for another bird, but I had to save her! I had to borrow money from two people to buy her. So worth it! I will make her my official entry!

Two for two with the great name picks! Neptune was an awesome pick, especially given that beautiful color, but the Penny backstory is my fave! I LOVE the sentiment behind it! In for a Penny, in for a pound. Perfect!

I wanted to attend Green Mountain college, one of the dorm halls I could have stayed in was North Hall. Since the college closed and I was devastated, I decided to name her after one of the buildings. Out of all the names, North fit her most.

North beats the heck out of Norm for your sweet lady budgie! Love the name! And nice shout out to the college that missed out on having you!

Hahahahaha! I love this! That is so Kass' animated avatar! My sons are huge fans of ZBOTW, so I look forward to showing this to them when they get home from school.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Neptune Blue,

British
–used to say that a person should finish what he or she has started to do even though it may be difficult or expensive

Two for two with the great name picks! Neptune was an awesome pick, especially given that beautiful color, but the Penny backstory is my fave! I LOVE the sentiment behind it! In for a Penny, in for a pound. Perfect!

North beats the heck out of Norm for your sweet lady budgie! Love the name! And nice shout out to the college that missed out on having you!

Hahahahaha! I love this! That is so Kass' animated avatar! My sons are huge fans of ZBOTW, so I look forward to showing this to them when they get home from school.

North is such a beautiful amazing color!!! I've never seen such a lovely color in a budgie!
Kass is a perfect name,! The character picture and her is just perfect!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
His name is "Sludge", ladies and gentlemen!

lamanuka-albums-mars-birds-picture20773-sludge-monster.jpg

This is Sludge, our previous purple crown, pictured circa 1998. We originally named him "Roger" but weren't really happy with that. One night while watching a major football match with commentary provided by a well known Australian comedy duo, we heard them use the nickname "Sludge" for one of the players. As everyone here knows, lorikeets are infamous for what is produced from their rear ends, so the name was deemed appropriate, and way more fun :)

Sludge was beautiful! Enough so I was initially wondering at the choice of name. But once you mentioned Lorikeet poop, I definitely saw your vision! Hahaha! Sludge, indeed!

Thank you Uncle Stephen :) Bird poop is an integral part of all our lives here, doubly so with lorikeet poop. Friends and family were always bemused at how we could have given a name like that to such a pretty little bird, until he pooped on them! Sludge was also a notorious little shagger, if you’ll pardon the expression at this early hour (Brisbane time). Good job we don’t have him and Lilly together, with her propensity for egg-laying we’d be up to our eyeballs in baby Sludges by now :eek:

Valyndris

Apr 24, 2019
Canada
Parrots
Jacob the blue and gold macaw
JFF
Before my parents got my macaw my mother was trying to rescue a cockatoo from a terrible place, his name was Jake. This place is a vet's office that is terrible, the vet kept the poor cockatoo in a cockatiel sized cage that was always covered and never cleaned, no toys and food/water was rarely changed. We unfortunately didn't raise enough funds to adopt him in time as he passed away, may he have a much better afterlife. Well, when we got our macaw we named him Jacob in honor of Jake.
eiVClBi.jpg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
JFF
Before my parents got my macaw my mother was trying to rescue a cockatoo from a terrible place, his name was Jake. This place is a vet's office that is terrible, the vet kept the poor cockatoo in a cockatiel sized cage that was always covered and never cleaned, no toys and food/water was rarely changed. We unfortunately didn't raise enough funds to adopt him in time as he passed away, may he have a much better afterlife. Well, when we got our macaw we named him Jacob in honor of Jake.
eiVClBi.jpg

Ah man that is sad. Jacob is beautiful and an honor to life lost.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
JFF
eiVClBi.jpg

That poor 'too, this hurts my heart. I'm so sorry that things didn't work out for you guys to bring Jake home, that must have been so hard for you all.
I love how you honoured him with Jacob's name, that is a such a wonderful tribute.

Gabz

Feb 25, 2020
Glasgow, Scotland
Parrots
CAG - Tico - 2 (hand reared by us.)
CAG - Rosie - 10 (rescued Nov 19)
GCC - Kizzy - 9 (rescued Nov 19)
GCC - Kandy - 5 (rescued Nov 19)
Parakeet - JJ - 2 (rescued Dec 19)
This is my Tico Papagayo.

He is the only one of all our birds we chose the name for.

When i was told I was getting him, as the best Christmas present I have ever received, we inevitably got chatting about names. As a life long Bon Jovi fan, i suggested Jovi as thought it was a cool name, by other half vetoed that name, saying no way. Lol. As a sneaky attempt to honour the band in some way, I suggested Tico, after Tico Torres the Bon Jovi drummer. The name stuck.

The Papagayo of his name, comes from my toddler memories. I have wanted a parrot since the second i saw them on a family holiday when i was 2 years old, and there were parrots in our hotel. I was a very chatty child, hard to imagine i'm sure, so was speaking with the people in the hotel who had the parrots, they taught me that they were Papagayos (a spanish word for parrot) and from that day, parrots were forever papagayos in my mind.

As such, Tico became Tico Papagayo.

23854d1583319201-march-2020-potm-contest-tic.jpg

Attachments

• tic.jpg
    tic.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 236
Last edited by a moderator:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

When i was told I was getting him, as the best Christmas present I have ever received, we inevitably got chatting about names. As a life long Bon Jovi fan, i suggested Jovi as thought it was a cool name, by other half vetoed that name, saying no way. Lol. As a sneaky attempt to honour the band in some way, I suggested Tico, after Tico Torres the Bon Jovi drummer. The name stuck.

The Papagayo of his name, comes from my toddler memories. I have wanted a parrot since the second i saw them on a family holiday when i was 2 years old, and there were parrots in our hotel. I was a very chatty child, hard to imagine i'm sure, so was speaking with the people in the hotel who had the parrots, they taught me that they were Papagayos (a spanish word for parrot) and from that day, parrots were forever papagayos in my mind.

Great story, great name! Great picture of Tico!
To be inspired young and to achieve your parrot dreams us awesome.
I was inspired by The World Book Encyclopedia of Animals , still have it ;)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Gorgeous grey, wonderful story!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I must admit that I'm bad at naming pets lol..even with Smokey (TAG) my then-wife's best friend named her :eek: When Amy came home with me my mom and I racked our brains..Bubbles..Birdy..couldn't decide. Then I thought "she" is an Amazon..so I named her (now we all know she is a he) Amy...short for AMYzon. A couple days after he came home the breeder I got him from called to ask how he was doing and if I named her and when I said yes it's Amy...he was like.."Huh??..ummm...ok!"

Jim

23856d1583340014-march-2020-potm-contest-img_0881.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 238
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots

Tico Papagayo is such an awesome name, and what a great story behind it! I love how you figured out a way to still have it honour Bon Jovi:) He is gorgeous!

I must admit that I'm bad at naming pets lol..even with Smokey (TAG) my then-wife's best friend named her :eek: When Amy came home with me my mom and I racked our brains..Bubbles..Birdy..couldn't decide. Then I thought "she" is an Amazon..so I named her (now we all know she is a he) Amy...short for AMYzon. A couple days after he came home the breeder I got him from called to ask how he was doing and if I named her and when I said yes it's Amy...he was like.."Huh??..ummm...ok!"

Jim

LOL! I have always loved Amy's name, and AMYzon made me smile! I think Amy still fits him perfectly, he is beautiful and wears that name with pride:)
I hope he and the Beebs are spoiling you today!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Jim

Amy's colors and face are amazingly beautiful!!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
JFF
eiVClBi.jpg

As always, Jacob's beauty blows me away! And I love how you named him in honor of Jake the cockatoo. Gone, but now never forgotten.

Hahahahaha! I LOVE the name! The kind you just want to say again and again. (Unless that's just me? Could be. Lol!) And I love the origin story as well! Funny how you snuck the Bon Jovi reference in there!

Jim

AMYzon! Hahahahaha! I love it! The manliest Amy ever there was!

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Loving this month's theme, Terry! You amaze me with your fabulous ideas.

Okay, I wanted a smart name. My first choice was Eli, hubby wasn't crazy about it. I have an ongoing list of future pet names. Whenever I hear a cool name that strikes a cord, I jot it down in my 'future pet name list' ... ha :D

Well, years ago we used to watch the Amish Mafia. Lebanon Levi was the star of the show and mob boss. I fell in love with the name. So, when hubby knocked down Eli, I reverted to me trusty 'future pet name list' and low and behold I spotted Levi. I was so excited and made the pitch and hubby agree ... :04:

*J4F*
4mm5yzw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions