HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
92! Wow...I would love to help at a place like that (as long as it didn't bring any diseases home to Noodles) lol. I hope the owner has someone who will take it over in the event that health prevents him/her from continuing.

That black cockatoo is ADORABLE. I worry about those guys because they are so cute that I could see people trying to take them for pets. :(

Your comment on noise reminded me.....
After many hour-long scream fests with Noodles early on, I THOUGHT I had heard her at her loudest (I mean, with the windows open, you could hear her 2-3 blocks away)....so pretty loud, right? SUPER LOUD during her scream-fests.
Then one day, she made a sound so loud that I stopped in my tracks---I couldn't comprehend what had just happened lol. It was like the equivalent of an m-80 firework going off in my house right next to me--bird-style..That was nearly 2 years into our relationship and she's only ever done it that one time.

I haven't heard it since, but Lord help me if she ever decides to start doing it more often...because the potential is there---I seriously don't know that I have heard a bird make a sound SO loud before (not even a macaw). It's amazing how loud they can be when they want to.

I wondered what would happen to the place after he is gone as well m, it sounded like he had a lot of family who help, so hopefully theyā€™d take it on. However I feel like this man is going anywhere anytime soon as he had absolutely no health problems what so ever, and was the fittest 92 year old Iā€™d ever met!

Loved the black cockatoos they all seemed so gentle and sweet, You have to have a licence to have them..but anyone can get the licence it only requires $100:rolleyes:

That really made me laugh about noodles random one time super loud noise!! I wonder why she did it? And hasnā€™t done it since..maybe she scared and super herself too :p
I feel I could cope with the noise if I lived in a bigger house that was more suitable for a large cockatoo. And I mostly just wouldnā€™t want my partner getting fed up with the noise. Oh and also my guinea pigs might have a heart attack from the sudden screaming cockatoo lol!
In fact the Wild cockatoos are waking me up early every morning at the moment anyway, Iā€™m sure they like to screech the loudest when they fly over the cottage haha. .. And the peacock has got in the habit of honking outside our bedroom window at 7am everyday

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
That Red-tailed black cockatoo is pretty rare over here in the states. I have seen one in my lifetime. That a beautiful bird. Love those tiels, yep they pretty much are smaller cockatoos.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
92! Wow...I would love to help at a place like that (as long as it didn't bring any diseases home to Noodles) lol. I hope the owner has someone who will take it over in the event that health prevents him/her from continuing.

That black cockatoo is ADORABLE. I worry about those guys because they are so cute that I could see people trying to take them for pets. :(

Your comment on noise reminded me.....
After many hour-long scream fests with Noodles early on, I THOUGHT I had heard her at her loudest (I mean, with the windows open, you could hear her 2-3 blocks away)....so pretty loud, right? SUPER LOUD during her scream-fests.
Then one day, she made a sound so loud that I stopped in my tracks---I couldn't comprehend what had just happened lol. It was like the equivalent of an m-80 firework going off in my house right next to me--bird-style..That was nearly 2 years into our relationship and she's only ever done it that one time.

I haven't heard it since, but Lord help me if she ever decides to start doing it more often...because the potential is there---I seriously don't know that I have heard a bird make a sound SO loud before (not even a macaw). It's amazing how loud they can be when they want to.

I wondered what would happen to the place after he is gone as well m, it sounded like he had a lot of family who help, so hopefully theyā€™d take it on. However I feel like this man is going anywhere anytime soon as he had absolutely no health problems what so ever, and was the fittest 92 year old Iā€™d ever met!

Loved the black cockatoos they all seemed so gentle and sweet, You have to have a licence to have them..but anyone can get the licence it only requires $100:rolleyes:

That really made me laugh about noodles random one time super loud noise!! I wonder why she did it? And hasnā€™t done it since..maybe she scared and super herself too :p
I feel I could cope with the noise if I lived in a bigger house that was more suitable for a large cockatoo. And I mostly just wouldnā€™t want my partner getting fed up with the noise. Oh and also my guinea pigs might have a heart attack from the sudden screaming cockatoo lol!
In fact the Wild cockatoos are waking me up early every morning at the moment anyway, Iā€™m sure they like to screech the loudest when they fly over the cottage haha. .. And the peacock has got in the habit of honking outside our bedroom window at 7am everyday

LOL- she probably did scare herself--and people one state over as well lol! It was so shocking, given her known noise capacity (I thought I had heard her at her loudest).
If I recall correctly, she was mad at me (following a travel transition) and annoyed that she couldn't have something she wanted, so nothing THAT unusual haha!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Lovely pics Hannah, but you'll have to bite your tongue with the "mug" comment! :D

So Paul runs a sanctuary, but does he ever re-home birds under extraordinary situations? Like to the most eligible and deserving lady on the planet???????????

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

Lovely pics Hannah, but you'll have to bite your tongue with the "mug" comment! :D

So Paul runs a sanctuary, but does he ever re-home birds under extraordinary situations? Like to the most eligible and deserving lady on the planet???????????

Well I was trying to hint to him when I asked if he knew where I could get birds from, but I gave up as he loved to talk and I didnā€™t really get much chance to ask many questions lol. Besides, they all live in an aviary In pairs or groups and probably wouldnā€™t cope as an indoor bird anymore.

To be honest, The more Iā€™ve been thinking about the bird world. Iā€™m a bit disappointed with it. Paul was clearly very passionate and loved his Birds. But the place was lacking love and soul. The concrete aviaries were quite bare (except one of the black cockatoos larger pen where I got the photo, and the free flight aviary) with just a few perches and A breeding box. Trays on the ground with seed and a water dish. The place was full of falling down native trees, so I feel they should have put branches with leaves in the aviaries for some enrichment for the parrots. And some toys and things to do, especially for the playful cockatoos.
I tried to think it was all fine while I was there, especially as Paul was so lovely. But really, the birds where depressed.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
So sad, Hannah. Seems like Paul's heart is in the right place but the place is more of a warehouse.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
You always look good with a 'too on your head Hannah ;)

Jim

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
So sad, Hannah. Seems like Paul's heart is in the right place but the place is more of a warehouse.
Sadly it is how most private sanctuaries are. They pretty much hoard birds and don't adopt out and in the end birds end up suffering when the owner dies, or get in way over their heads, or to the point he can't care for them. I know as we had to rescue a few over the years. He sure let Hannah adopt that too out as she one of the most capable people that could give that bird a good home. It not always about yourself, but sure be more for the bird and what best for that bird at the end of the day and long term. I would have gave her that bird for free even, but then again I seen what she capable of and would have no issue adopting a bird out to her. If anything she sure be working at a sanctuary she clearly has a talent for it and care for theses animals. It extremely rare to find someone like that.

Last edited:
OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

Sadly it is how most private sanctuaries are. They pretty much hoard birds and don't adopt out and in the end birds end up suffering when the owner dies, or get in way over their heads, or to the point he can't care for them. I know as we had to rescue a few over the years. He sure let Hannah adopt that too out as she one of the most capable people that could give that bird a good home. It not always about yourself, but sure be more for the bird and what best for that bird at the end of the day and long term. I would have gave her that bird for free even, but then again I seen what she capable of and would have no issue adopting a bird out to her. If anything she sure be working at a sanctuary she clearly has a talent for it and care for theses animals. It extremely rare to find someone like that.

Yes it was a real shame to see.. sadly not much can be done though. I hope the birds will be okay when the place ends up closing. Which I can see happening when Paul goes.. I donā€™t think they get many visitors. We were the only ones there when we was there!

Thank you for your kind words about me.. you are all too kind :60:

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

I should mention that I am actually kind of a godmother to my Uncles lorikeet ā€˜Bottletopā€™! I did a post about her a few months ago but for those of you who missed it.. My Uncles found Bottletop a year or so ago outside their house in the gutter. One of my Uncles bent down to take a look and she just climbed up his arm and stayed there. That was it, my uncles were now owned by their first Parrot, they fell in love instantly. They put out posters but no one came forward.
Bottletop had an old wing injury when they found her, it never healed so she canā€™t fly. But sheā€™s a super happy, quirky little bird. She has the run of the Sunroom and just sleeps in a small cage at night. Sheā€™s VERY spoilt.
However, my Uncles are in their late 80ā€™s and they are concerned about her future when they no longer can care for her or when they go..
So I will take Bottletop on, Iā€™ll road trip up to Queensland to collect her when the time comes. Which I hope (For my uncles healths sake!) that it wonā€™t be for a long time yet.
Z0FvkTj.jpg

0SVVg7M.jpg

:rainbow1:

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

Would a cage like this be suitable for 2 cockatiels?
Itā€™s for sale on a local page for $100

UXejHOA.jpg

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Have you considered all of the downfalls of getting two?
One will bond better with you---one will be healthier with regard to egg-binding and prolapse issues--one will be less hormonal (2 of the same gender can still stimulate a hormonal response)---one will require a lot of time, but 2 could require double the time in totally separate spaces if they do not get along---with one, you can let your guard down (never with 2---they could always fight or mate etc etc)...
That having been said, it looks about right for 1 (not just because I think 2=bad news, but because it isn't a very large cage--hard to tell from the pictures though).

Last edited:

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
For one that would be fine, but more then one I would go bigger as that cage is not deep, so them flying back and forth, flapping wings, hanging upside down would be a problem and cockatiels are pretty active. Here the one I use for my 3 cockatiels.

sB63815.jpg

xDASLhy.jpg

Last edited:
OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

One will bond better with you---one will be healthier with regard to egg-binding and prolapse issues--one will be less hormonal (2 of the same gender can still stimulate a hormonal response)---one will require a lot of time, but 2 could require double the time in totally separate spaces if they do not get along---with one, you can let your guard down (never with 2---they could always fight or mate etc etc)...
That having been said, it looks about right for 1 (not just because I think 2=bad news, but because it isn't a very large cage--hard to tell from the pictures though).

Thanks Noodles! I was worried about the egg binding, sounds horrific! Didnā€™t know hormones could get messed up even if I had 2 females. I would never get a Male and a female as of course wouldnā€™t want them breed. 2 males could end up fighting like you say!
Iā€™d prefer to get one, I only thought about having 2 because me being me hate to see animals on their own. But youā€™ve convinced me one will be better. I just knew if I went to a Breeder who had lots of find it hard to take just one away from a flock. But Iā€™m
More likely to find a singleton who needs a new home off gumtree anyway:)

Do you think the bar spacing is okay for a cockatiel.. like you said hard to tell much from the photos, Shame there was no Info about it. But I could go and check it out anyway, would only take it if itā€™s not rusty etc

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots

Thanks Noodles! I was worried about the egg binding, sounds horrific! Didnā€™t know hormones could get messed up even if I had 2 females. I would never get a Male and a female as of course wouldnā€™t want them breed. 2 males could end up fighting like you say!
Iā€™d prefer to get one, I only thought about having 2 because me being me hate to see animals on their own. But youā€™ve convinced me one will be better. I just knew if I went to a Breeder who had lots of find it hard to take just one away from a flock. But Iā€™m
More likely to find a singleton who needs a new home off gumtree anyway:)

Do you think the bar spacing is okay for a cockatiel.. like you said hard to tell much from the photos, Shame there was no Info about it. But I could go and check it out anyway, would only take it if itā€™s not rusty etc

I when with 1/2 bar spacing 5/8 max is the most you want to go and recommend 1/2 as they can climb better overall. Check specs as most are 3/4 and higher, the max is 5/8. You want at least 24 deep and 24 wide as they need space to move around and flap wings. Tall is not as important, you better with a wider cage then taller. A lot of cages are only 18 x18 and not really a lot of space.

Last edited:
OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

Thank you for the suggestions and information regarding a cage :)
Iā€™m not going to get that cage, and I still donā€™t know what bird(s) Iā€™m getting yet so I should make my mind up first haha!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
For me, I prefer a full height door access.
* It greatly easies getting the Bird in and out of the cage.
* It is much easier to change out water and seed bowls as a second access over the water and seed bowl access doors.
* It greatly easies switch out toys and perches.
* And, cleaning the interior of the cage is so very much easier.

Just a few reasons I like full height access doors.

Enjoy.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

I can't tell how big it is---I think what may be throwing me is the fact that it looks like it was designed for larger birds (??? maybe the bars look thicker and more widely spaced but it's very hard to see???). Like ParotGenie said, check on bar-spacing to make sure its appropriate for a tiel. Perhaps the reason it looks small to me is because I'm so used to looking at cages for cockatoos etc and it's like a big-mini-cage? lol---you know, face-value- it is pretty large I guess, but something about it makes space seem limited when compared to some of the flight cages I have seen for smaller birds. Plus, you were talking about 2 birds, and in my mind, bigger=better.
When considering a cage---look at width and depth more than vertical space (yes- you want it to be tall enough that it is well off the ground etc, but they will be able to utilize horizontal space better than vertical.

I didn't mean to paint a total doom-and gloom scenario for getting 2, but if your goal is to bond with your bird easily and have the fewest complications, I would start with one (bonding will most definitely be easier). I might be wrong about this next part, but I would think you could always get a 2nd later, as opposed to starting with 2 (others may correct me on this if I am wrong)--not sure that there is any major benefit to getting them simultaneously vs. waiting and adding to the family later (aside from potential territory issues and jealousy I suppose).

The thing is, with 2, the risks will always be there ( unless you adopt a pre-bonded pair but even then, you can never be certain that it will work long-term). There are stories of birds who stop getting along after many years. If you do eventually decide to get a 2nd, I'd get 2 females (assuming they aren't aggressive toward one another like Ekkie females tend to be) and then house them in separate cages....but I know many people may house theirs together without issue.

As long as you provide your bird with lots of interaction etc, it will be okay.

Last edited:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I've always kept my birds in male/female pairs and never once in over fifty years of bird-keeping has an egg been laid. (Qualify that: my son's lovebirds have laid eggs twice in nine years, but they were sterile and the hens didn't sit). I see no problem in allowing my birds to partake in 'that' part of their lives - I just prevent the arrival of unwanted offspring by not providing nesting materials. I've kept Rosellas, Galahs, Grass Parrots, Red Rumps, Turquoises, Bourke's and Alexandrines in bonded pairs with nary a problem.

Regarding bonding, most of the abovementioned birds were aviary dwellers. The Galahs and Alexes were not, however, and all bonded strongly to me as well as to each other. The Galahs were hand-raised (by me) and the Beaks arrived together at four months of age. I found that growing them up together helped them associate strongly with one another as well as with me. I wanted this, as part of my intention in keeping pairs is to permit each bird to find refuge in another member of its own species. I don't believe for an instant that a human companion alone is enough for a bird. They're social animals and need that avian contact for their mental health.

It's interesting that birds can exist quite amicably in horrendous living conditions where overcrowding and mixing of the sexes occurs, yet people who ever-so-carefully monitor every detail of their pet bird's environment find a pair no longer gets along after years of living peaceably together. I always wonder whether this occurs because of the careful monitoring and not because of any animosity between the birds.

Anyway, that's just my personal opinion. I know others will disagree and that's cool. I'd love to hear more opinions because, after all, that's how we learn, right? :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts