Me again! More questions!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I've always kept my birds in male/female pairs and never once in over fifty years of bird-keeping has an egg been laid. (Qualify that: my son's lovebirds have laid eggs twice in nine years, but they were sterile and the hens didn't sit). I see no problem in allowing my birds to partake in 'that' part of their lives - I just prevent the arrival of unwanted offspring by not providing nesting materials. I've kept Rosellas, Galahs, Grass Parrots, Red Rumps, Turquoises, Bourke's and Alexandrines in bonded pairs with nary a problem.

Regarding bonding, most of the abovementioned birds were aviary dwellers. The Galahs and Alexes were not, however, and all bonded strongly to me as well as to each other. The Galahs were hand-raised (by me) and the Beaks arrived together at four months of age. I found that growing them up together helped them associate strongly with one another as well as with me. I wanted this, as part of my intention in keeping pairs is to permit each bird to find refuge in another member of its own species. I don't believe for an instant that a human companion alone is enough for a bird. They're social animals and need that avian contact for their mental health.

It's interesting that birds can exist quite amicably in horrendous living conditions where overcrowding and mixing of the sexes occurs, yet people who ever-so-carefully monitor every detail of their pet bird's environment find a pair no longer gets along after years of living peaceably together. I always wonder whether this occurs because of the careful monitoring and not because of any animosity between the birds.

Anyway, that's just my personal opinion. I know others will disagree and that's cool. I'd love to hear more opinions because, after all, that's how we learn, right? :)

Before I get started, I just want to be clear:
I DO NOT THINK YOU ARE NEGLECTING YOUR BIRDS BY HOUSING THEM TOGETHER LOL. I just wanted to emphasize that--if it works for you, great (no need to fix what isn't broken). I am just saying that many people have not been so fortunate so it is a big gamble. I think you are a fine/good/caring bird-owner and so none of this is a criticism of your "parronting" skills. Just want to make sure that was clear!!!

My bird doesn't really like other birds (she came to me this way)---She can be around them and they interest her, but she is scared of them at times when they fly unexpectedly etc (they make her a bit anxious even though she spent a lot of time in a place with other birds). She prefers people and other animals to birds lol. I get what you mean about them being highly social (and no argument here in terms of captivity being unnatural for such a social creature), but at the end of the day, as long as they have lots of interaction with multiple people/situations etc, I don't think another bird is a MUST for their happiness. I mean, they are designed to do a lot of things that that cannot do in captivity---flying 40+ miles a day for instance. Captivity itself is far from an ideal scenario, but unless a single bird is visibly unhappy, I am not sure that we can assume that their life is lacking (any more than any other captive parrot's) without an avian partner. At the same time, I can see what you mean.

Many people's birds do lay eggs etc, so that is certainly a risk (even though it isn't always a problem). Also, for species inclined to pick one mate for life, a bond to another bird often IS that life-time bond. Instinctively, it is not typical for many species to have a close bond with more than one being (bird or human). Not saying that ALL birds are like this (in fact, cockatoos are an example of a species that can have more than one close bond), BUT many possess this tendency. Even cockatoos will pick a favorite person and exhibit mate-defending behaviors within the right setting.

That having been said, if we are talking about what is natural/their nature, the very things that make mating pairs less desirable within a home-setting are the things that would make them successful parents in the wild (protecting their mate, protecting their nest/territory, bonding closely with one mate, killing young at times, mating frequently to ensure the survival of the species during times of perceived "abundance" (e.g., captivity). SO,my point is, nothing about captivity is natural and sometimes what works in nature actually creates a worse situation in the home (both for the bird and the person). Yes- all birds want to reproduce, but by avoiding the triggers, sometimes it can be less anxiety inducing for both the bird and the human.

I understand wanting to keep things as close to nature as possible, but a captive bird is so far removed from "natural". If the presence of another bird is going to potentially increase aggression and limit socializing opportunities (as a direct result of a disinclination towards humans) then it seems kinder to take the path that allows for the most freedom and socialization (even if it is the less natural). All too often you hear about these cage-bound pairs that only want to be together and do not even want human hands in the cage for feeding. That is due, in part, to human mistakes (I am sure) but it is also instinctual and I would rather avoid that possibility altogether. Then there are the potential health issues, which many members have experienced (heck---even a stimulated single bird can lay eggs, but if there is an opposite-sex parrot of the same species, that risk increases, as does the risk of actual chicks hatching).

The other thing is that young, pre-pubescent birds are not going to exhibit the same behaviors that they do in adulthood, so what seems like a friendly relationship can and often does become sexual and/or aggressive when hormones kick in down the road. In the wild, two birds (even 2 bonded birds) would never have the limited space we provide them within any aviary or cage (a city-block is far too small if we are looking at their range in nature). That, plus hormones, plus instincts, plus the anxiety of captivity alone could lead birds to display sudden aggression---whether or not they are closely monitored by humans. You know what I mean? I haven't ever had it happen to me, but lots of people experience issues with this (some of these people don't care about their birds at all and some monitor their every move--the point is, it happens to all sorts of bird owners--not just the ones who are overly cautious).

I also think that the ones who exist in horrendous conditions are often the "children" of "parronts" who don't care...and so when things go wrong, or when a bird dies (or gets injured by another bird), they are not going to post on a forum or ask what went wrong. Yes, birds have survived unthinkable neglect (as have children) but a neglectful parent (or parront) isn't likely to express concerns about the loss of a bird/problematic incidents, as they are too negligent to even care or notice, let alone take the time to trouble-shoot on the internet. The ones you WILL hear from are the ones who tried to do everything right/ supervised their birds somewhat carefully...I guess what I mean to say is that correlation does not equate causation. I think your observation is a correlation but I wouldn't say that it is the cause of these issues. For the most part, if you hear someone's horror story, it is because they care enough to discuss it---when it comes to the apathetic/neglectful owners out there, you are unlikely to ever hear from them unless A) they realize they were messing up and feel bad that they didn't know better OR, B) because they are worried about a monetary loss relating to breeding/sales etc. That having been said, the majority of tragedies due to neglect/inappropriate housing etc are never discussed publicly due to the very nature of the beast.

Last edited:
OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
My natural instincts have always told me to keep animals in pairs or groups (except hamsters, and other lone species). There is a risk with my small group of bonded Guinea pigs that they could one day fall out and start fighting, If that happens then Iā€™m prepared to separate them as necessary.
I personally, feel it might be best for me to have 2 teils (unless I get a Galah then Iā€™d probably only have they one) mainly because Iā€™m not home all day everyday and itā€™s important for me to know the bird has company. My main reason for keeping animals is because I enjoy making them happy, To form a bond with them is a huge bonus. Of course having Sunny in my life massively opened me up to the amazing relationship you can have with a Bird, and that is half the reason I want to now get bird(s) of my own. But If the birds didnā€™t bond with me and bonded more with its cage mate then it would be a shame but Iā€™d be pleased in knowing that they are content and happy. Itā€™s a tough one for sure. I can 100% see the good and bad in both opinions!
My sister in the U.K., has cockatiels, budgies and another type that I canā€™t remember in an outdoor aviary she recommends me getting 2 teils as she hasnā€™t had any big issues with fighting or illness. And she probably has about 10 birds!

Itā€™s good to hear everyoneā€™s experiences, and I ALWAYS appreciate all opinions. Certainly lots to consider when keeping parrots. Thanks everyone :)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Yep! You're absolutely right on all counts, noodles123! My only reason for 'arguing' (I don't mean to argue: simply to present a different POV for consideration) is that, as you say, correlation doesn't always equal causation and your POV could be just as skewed as mine. We're looking at the same problem from two different vantage points.

I think it's a shame to warn someone away from keeping opposite-gender pairs simply because 'many people' find it doesn't work. 'Many other people' find it does! I have a few friends and acquaintaines who keep opposite-gender pairs and would never have thought of doing otherwise. I also know a few who keep different species in the same cage with success. Why shouldn't they if it's working?

What's wrong with leaving people to decide for themselves how they would like to proceed instead of warning, warning, warning that it will surely fail? And why should newbies automatically be told 'oh, you can't keep opposite-gender pairs together without them breeding' when they very likely could do it successfully?

I don't want to argue your post point by point. All I want to say is that every point you make has an opposite outcome and none of us is clairvoyant enough to know what will happen in every case. Why not leave people to decide based on their own situation and wishes? After all, we're not the Bird Police. Are we? :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think most of us with multiple birds are happy with our experience. Parrots are so social as well. I had my first GCC as an only bird for ten or more years, her joy when I added my female Ta-dah was huge. They become best buddies and my Burt the Bird was so happy. They lived together and slept together in the bad type but. But both still loved me . So when my Burt The Bird passed I got Neptune, tadah i was so sad and I didn't want her to never have a bird freinds. I also wanted a Quaker. Neptune and Ta-dah are bonded, have sex ( which I try to prevent) feed eachother . So they are a Quaker GCC pair but kept in seperate cages. Both are still bonded to me. Take from that rambling what you will :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Would a cage like this be suitable for 2 cockatiels?
Itā€™s for sale on a local page for $100

UXejHOA.jpg

I think so, but I personally keep all my birds caged seperate

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
The only difficulty I've had with pairs is the dreaded male/female cockatoo aggression. Had to split up two pairs to date. Once parted, they each found other interests in a non-breeding scenario.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We have long been a Single Parrot Household! No hands on experience with multiple Parrots in the same house, let alone a single cage.

The Amazons that find their way to takeover our home have needed singular attention as their health problems placed huge demands on time and money. If you barely have enough of those two for a single Parrot, what happens when you have multiple Parrots. Few people consider that point until they are faced with medical issues of size.

Personally, I do not care if an individual has a single or thirty Parrots, as long as they have the time and resources to support their proper care.

Enjoy!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Since having companion parrots for over thirty years,I have always had two. Yes they had their own house. I feel I have been blessed with Amy. He is a very social creature and wants to be pals with any creature human or not. Two birds can be not only time consuming but pocket draining..crap, ONE can be pocket draining when it comes to vet visits.
Get a "friend" coz " I think my bird is lonely"..I actually thought about that when Smokey passed on...geez Amy and Smokes where together for 26 years.
When Jonesy came along,he became buds with Amy..now it's Beebs. Amy adores that little guy. They live side by side,can see and chat to each other anytime,and they do.
Hannah...you have proven to us and yourself that you would make an excellent parront. Now you just need to decide what kind of fid fits you. I wish you luck!

Jim

Most Reactions