paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
Just to prove a point to anyone who says amazons are not ones for the cuddles and kisses I say differant and this picture of me and jinx this morning proves that amazons can be just as loving as any other species of parrot.

Me and my snuggle buddy jinx :D
Meandjinxsnuggling.jpg

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Our Zon's are total putty with the wife, she can pretty much do anything to them and they don't care, they both will lie upside down on her shoulder area and literally roll down her. Can't tell you how many times she has to catch them before they roll off her.

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
It just comes to show how loving and sweet zon's can be yeah there are stories about them saying they are bad birds to have I heard people in town talk about how nasty amazons are they couldn't be more wrong with the right amount of attention and love they make great pets.

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
Jinx is just beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad you have her home. I love Amazons and I am especially partial to the blue fronted. We have one too and she is the sweetest parrot you could ever imagine. She is a rescue and at first she was very reserved and depressed. Now she is the happiest, sweetest bird and she loves her family. She is like our little guard bird. She really watches out for us all. You will love having a blue fronted Amazon!!

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
I read all the stories about amazons and according to a number of sources the yellow nape, double yellow, and the blue front are the hot three but i can't see a blue front being as fiesty as the other two jinx is more layed back than anything he doesn't like to fly to much where as our sennie is like a dart she can't stay still for no one but that's her choice lol I'm glad I picked a blue front well saying that I didn't pick him it was him who picked me but he is everything to me. :D

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
Casey (our Blue Front) is very laid back too! She just has a wonderful personality.

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
Well jinx will be 14 weeks old tomorrow he seems to like to look out the window alot and his sneezing is so cute he sneezes then looks at me as to say what was that lol :)

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
really cute pic.:D

lokiNotis

Jul 3, 2012
WV
Parrots
Loki-Green Cheek Conure
Otis-blue Quaker Bandit-YNA
I think parrots are sterotyped. My YNA is wonderful. He has never tried to bite, he cuddles and doesn't scream or screech at all. He will talk and make noise but nothing to burst your eardrums. I think it depends on how much time, energy, love and patience you put in. Congrats again on getting him home. He looks so happy!!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Have you handed her off to mom yet? Remember , early socialization is the key to a well behaved zon.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Good work , it will pay big dividends later.

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
Rich when your zons were baby's did they use to bite down on your fingers or hand to let you know they were hungry jinx has been doing it since I got him yesterday my breeder called today and I told him he said that he's letting me know he wants food lol.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Yeah that sounds right. Even spoon fed they still associate fingers with food. That would be a good time to get him to try different fresh fruits/veggies. Feed him little pieces by hand. They also explore with their beak . they use it almost like a hand. He will also explore how hard to "beak" when playing,you'll have to teach him what's too much. Sooner or later he'll learn to crack tough stuff and discover how tough his bite can be(eating nuts/seeds ,chewing up perches etc), he'll then test it out on you !!! Be careful about how other's react to his bites(beaking), he'll learn it's something that gives him control over his situation and "learn " to use it more and more. Zons learn quick what gets a reaction and they love it.

Last edited:
OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
Nice to know I'm going to end up a human pin cushion lol na I'll teach him what's the best way to teach him its hard enough just say ouch to him and he should pick up on that right? And yeah I guessed that he thinks our hands are food the bite is hard but not hard enough to break the skin or make us bleed but I'm still spoon feeding him just until I can get him eating his pellets solid and his fruit and veg he picks at it now and again but he still depends on me to feed him he's had a drink out of the water dish once today but that's it but he is doing grand and he's so lovable.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
I use the word "easy" but what ever works for you. It'll happen when your playing and he gets excited, just use your word to let him know and avoid getting him that "wound up" till he knows what's OK.

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
Yeah I have been using the word no but he's to young to understand that so I'll start saying easy to him instead he has a good weight on him don't know what he weighs yet but I'll find out tomorrow as I'm going to pop into my local vets and ask if i can weigh him but I'm guessing he is about 450 - 500 grams at the minute.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
That's a good weight, we have a male BFA that's about 500 grams.

Most Reactions