Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I'm sitting with Husband looking at all of Gabby's pics with jealousy. Not only is she gorgeous I'm jealous because Buzz doesn't like touching, doesn't come out of his cage, he has been so slow to trust and come around but he is coming around. I'm glad to see Gabby has adjusted so fast, is she a talker? Buzz is a talker and loves making all kinds of sounds so that's really good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I just saw this thread. Wow. Very nice. The Rickeybird was 3 months old when I got him, too, just like Gabby. I wish you decades of happiness!

OP
Elvin_Overberg

Elvin_Overberg

Feb 1, 2016
Kisses with sound and love lol
03af573fd6cbee09ad0d655cc06e80bf.jpg

Sent from my Note4

OP
Elvin_Overberg

Elvin_Overberg

Feb 1, 2016
Gabby mumbles lots of stuff and whistles alot but no clear words yet. Im trying to get her to talk clearly every day

Sent from my Note4

OP
Elvin_Overberg

Elvin_Overberg

Feb 1, 2016
Hi everyone. My Gabby has recently started biting her feathers. Yesterday i saw her biting off a piece of her wing feathers. She also nibble on her toe nails. I see what looks Iike molting feathers alot now too.
I was wondering if i can use Pluckstop to break this behavior. Can it be used while the bird is molting?

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi, sorry to hear Gabby has started biting her feathers. Have you enough for her to do? Foraging, chew toys, preening toys from what I can gather remedies may ease the behaviour but it is really best to get down to 'why'?

Is she sprayed or bathed often enough?

Probably good idea to have a trip to the AV to rule out any any physical illness. Nutritional deficiency, bacterial infection and metal toxicity are also possibles.

There are also boredom, lack of attention, stress, lack of sleep and a dirty cage. You know your bird, perhaps have a think?

Important that you pay no heed to this behaviour, if you see her do it turn and walk out the room.

Really sorry your gorgeous girl is doing this.

Last edited:
OP
Elvin_Overberg

Elvin_Overberg

Feb 1, 2016
2d009b0a4b11fb339560c6d8c2b96eb7.jpg

After about a month of using Pluckstop [emoji2] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]

Sent from my Note4

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Good to see you have had good results. Aren't we due a Christmas pic of your gorgeous girl LOL?

Just a quick question - humidity? Not something that is a problem here in soggy UK but am realising that folks in US do struggle. Maybe something to consider? :)

OP
Elvin_Overberg

Elvin_Overberg

Feb 1, 2016
263973fc7a2624dc0a772d070305c99b.jpg

Please can someone explain to me how to fit this harness? Must it go over the wings only or is it something that goes over the head and around the body under the wings? Please help.

Sent from my Note4

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Elvin, from what I have seen and read,the harness goes over the head and under the arms (wings) and around the body.

Jim

OP
Elvin_Overberg

Elvin_Overberg

Feb 1, 2016
Thanks. It is very difficult to put on. Was hoping it just goes over the wings.

Sent from my Note4

Tsali

Jul 22, 2016
Parrots
Tsali - African Grey- I am a one parrot parent. It's a full time job keeping Tsali healthy and happy.
Gabby is a beauty! Hope she brings you as much happiness as our Tsali has brought us.

Tsali

Jul 22, 2016
Parrots
Tsali - African Grey- I am a one parrot parent. It's a full time job keeping Tsali healthy and happy.
We use an Aviator Harness with Tsali. You slip one harness loop over the head and then the larger loop goes over each wing. It is a bit bothersome to put on and requires training, but it is the only harness that I feel is really safe.

DrBob

Mar 28, 2017
Washington State
Parrots
Congo Grey (in a couple weeks)
So, I have been wondering... A couple pictures show Gabby and it looks like she is outside. I was wondering how you managed that without a harness. And... how many folks on the forum have used harnesses and how do you like them? I'm sure that a person needs to have a really good relationship with your bird to be able to put the harness on but what is the overall opinion of taking your bird outside with the harness on. It is said that a CAG likes to spend lots of time with their person so is it reasonable to take a Grey with you a lot?

TIA,
Bob

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Elvin, IIIIIIIII've not seen that particular design for a harness before. It looks like it only goes under and around each wing. It may be easier to put on then the Aviator design , but looks like it is not designed so the parrot can fly with it on . More like a restraint. The Aviator design is designed so the bird can fly and it has no chance of coming off. The dwon side - it takes a lot of training with your parrot to get them to cooperate in getting it on. I have been working with my parrot,Salty, for months and months with the Aviator and we still not there yet. Good luck.

Most Reactions