Molting: how long does it usually take?

GFGC

Aug 26, 2015
Hey everyone. So my little guy has been molting for what seems like forever but what must be at least a month. I keep thinking he has cleared the hump and then the next morning I'm sweeping up another pile of feathers and more pins are on their way out. It's turning him into a very irritable little beast, at times going back to his previous ways of some really hard biting and, for some reason, pinching a little harder than he has to on his first "step up" out of his cage.

How long does a molt usually take? This may very well be his first one since he's around six months old, if that makes any difference. My girlfriend and I are really surprised at how blue he is turning with all his new feathers. We feel bad about how uncomfortable he must be with all the pins he can't reach, but he's a bit "difficult" to help, lest you risk the beak of doom.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
How long?!

Usually they only take about a quarter inch or so off your finger tip, if you hit one of those nasty pin feathers and the bird turns and nails you with his beak! :11: Don't worry. They do wonders with surgical reattachment these days... Just keep a cup of ice handy when you're grooming your bird...

Oh... Wait.... you meant, how long before the feathers grow back?

Depends on the species.

They're all different.

OP
G

GFGC

Aug 26, 2015
Sorry, forgot to specify! Green cheek conure. Haha!

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
The moulting of any given bird lasts as long as it takes to accumulate enough feathers to completely build 3-4 more birds with a ziploc bag or two of feathers left over.

In more certain terms, until he is good and done! Some seasons will be just a few feathers others it seems they are squawking pillow factories!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Macaws seem to molt enough feathers to make two birds...

No sooner do I get one batch open, than Maggie is another mass of pin feathers...

IT'S RELENTLESS!

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I don't think I've really ever "witnessed" a molt, I've only seen the aftermath that looks like a feather pillow exploded.

My GCC had almost constant pin feathers around the top of her head but I never noticed too much else. Give more baths and it should help to soothe the savage beast, and make it easier to preen the feathers because it'll soften the keratin outside.

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)

Most Reactions

Latest posts