Molting

Perezaris

Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
Parrots
Quaker parrot named Tito
Hi, my 5 months old quaker itā€™s losing a lot of feathers. Is that normal?
What should i do? Will he be cold?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It would appear as if Fall has quickly come to the Northern Hemisphere at least in Central and Eastern North America as it is a bit cooler than normal...

At five months it is likely that your Parrot is transitioning from baby feathers to young parrot feathers. What you should see is the loss of body feathers with a load of downy feather (commonly white and/or gray) still in place. This would be common at this age in their development.

Our adult Amazon is molting flight feathers and with the exception of his flight being a bit noisier than normal it is very difficult to tell, with the exception of the appearance of a shedded wing feather.

Check the Amazon Forum and that huge Thread near the top, which is tilted "I Love Amazons -, ... That huge Thread has a number of segments that near all Parrot owners will find helpful. I believe that there is a segment in there, which is Tilted "Help My Amazon just Exploded" or something like that, which speaks to molting.

Target steady temperatures, in the bird area, in the home during this period and target limiting drafts near or around you're parrots and cover the cage at night. That should comfort you as well as your Parrot.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
hello and welcome to the forum! I hope you will visit us often and join in our discussions.

It is big molting time. And lots if feathers will be shed as new ones grow in. But yiu shouldn't see any bare skin. Nor should see down feathers and outer feathers are removed If you are it could be that your quaker is plucking out its feathers. Quakers are highly intelligent and social parrots that are also very active. As such they are prone to become pluckers. Common pluck sites are around the neck, the chest, tops of shoulders and thighs . They can also take this to the next level and start mutilate they're breast muscles and feet, chewing off toes!!! Sometimes a medical issues us the cause. Sometimes its because tte burd us feeling stress in tge household, or tgey need more time out of the cage and things to do. Its a complex issue...

Hopefully you are just dealing with a normal molt. I've had feathers everywhere with mine recently.

Diet is important , molt takes more calories, and tiny amount if extra protein. Thus protein csn vine from offering a little scrambled or boiled egg, a tiny strip of well vooked chicken..or nuts like walnuts, or cooked legume..

The diet should also normally include a wide selection of parr safe vegetables and leafy greens, like romaine, arugula, grocery store dandelion greens ect. Leafy greens are packed with vitamins and nutrients!! Also hot red chili peppers are a fav, and tgey have lots of much needed vitamin A. Parrots like most peppers, and they cab5 taste the " heat" , cooked sweet potatoes ( most won't eat raw sweet potatoes) carrots, fresh green beans, broccoli the list is long ;)

If you want to include a picture of Tito?,
You can click the go advanced button under rge text bix abd hut rge paperclip to up load a picture, or manage attachments, it will show up as a thumb nail in your text. We can click on it to enlarge.
Edit: oh wow I saw your album what a gorgeous quaker!!! Is he grey???? Neat!

You might find some ideas to keep him busy here, and feel free to add your own ideas or toys your quaker really likes!
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-toys/87375-rainy-day-boredom-buster.html

Last edited:

Most Reactions