Moody Lori and Biting...

froche3

Nov 27, 2013
Parrots
Binky - Cinnamon Rainbow Lorikeet
Hello! My lorikeet is 18 months old, and I got her a few weeks ago. She can sometimes be really relaxed, and will just sit on ky shoulder nibbling, or she will be excited and hop from shoulder to shoulder screeching, or she will be irritated at me, because I am trying to take her off my shoulder. Is this normal? Or is it because she is sexually mature? Being a new parrot owner I do not know....
If anyone knows anything, please suggest!
Thanks!

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Sounds like Binky would benefit from some positive reinforcement training. She remains on your shoulder because that's where all the fun is! Why come down?

Well, she just needs to learn through training (i.e. using rewards/reinforcements/treats) that coming down can be just as fun as staying up!

OP
froche3

froche3

Nov 27, 2013
Parrots
Binky - Cinnamon Rainbow Lorikeet
True. Does anyone know what treats Lori's like?

LoriBabies

May 21, 2013
Australia
Parrots
2 x rainbow lorikeets. Pistachio is a normal coloured 1 1/2 yo birdie who's currently on a diet and Zazu is my grey/green or olive baby, about 4 moths old
I know this will probably be frowned upon but my loris absolute favourite treat is licking a drop of pure (real stuff) maple syrup off the tip of my finger. They'll do pretty much anything for that.

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
I agree with Monica and also my Lorikeet was an evil thing when I got him!!! He was a year and 1/2 old and he bit me hard every day it wasnt like he wasnt tame cause he loved being with people and begged to be held and pet and played with but he got frustrated so easily and was going through sexual maturity and every day I got bit by him until recently now he is almost 2 and 1/2 years old and has stopped biting one day he just stopped I dont know why but im guessing cause hes older now im not sure just hang in there and try some training like Monica said.

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
pure organic honey in small amounts i have read is ok for training but I use bits of grapes for mine he goes crazy for it! good luck!!

Most Reactions