Music Recommendations for Bird Sanity

ohsoqt.sr

May 18, 2018
I think if I make Alexa play the same smooth jazz playlist one more time, Gremlin is going to go homicidal, so I'm looking for music recommendations that I can cycle through for him.
So far, we've done 1) smooth jazz, 2) Bob Marley playlist, 3) progressive dance, and 4) classical. He seems to like them. He's been quietest through the classical playlist, for whatever reason.

I like to keep music on for him, but I probably shouldn't have it playing all day long, I suppose. He likes to come sit with us in the living room. We did move him to the office room, which he seems to like. It's got a door on it so Boogie, our cat, can't get to him!

Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks guys!
At 330pm each day Alexa plays opera in the bird room. Of course my budgie talks up a storm and has a huge vocabulary… but that little guy just cannot hold a tune lol.
The Bridgerton soundtrack is a hit - as are most string instrument music choices…
My Parrotlet loved Beastie Boys. 😂

gadlaw

Jan 2, 2018
Florida
Parrots
Greenwing Macaw, African Gray Timneh
I once played Al Jarreau 'Look to the Rainbow' so much that Hiro my Greenwing Macaw started trying to sing like Al Jarreau. The boys are in the living room with me and listen to what I'm listening to. Sometimes I'll put on bird sounds from one of the many YouTube channels that will play parrot room sounds or wild bird sounds with video. You know, they like whatever. Except for the sound of the vacuum cleaner that is.

AnimaliaPrime

Apr 11, 2017
Wisconsin
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure female
I've always played music for my bird(s), (I had a rescue Quaker for 15 years and now I have a Green Cheek Conure). But I only play music when we're gone out of the house. Lately, since my poor girl broke her wing and it didn't heal perfectly, she spends a little more time in her cage than she used to. So she gets more music. I've expanded her playlists. My Quaker really preferred Broadway showtunes, his absolute favorite! But my GCC clearly loves 60's pop the best, although her main playlist has other stuff and she seems to like specific singers like Garth Brooks, Julie Andrews and Alvin and the Chipmunks! LOL They truly are individuals. I now have a 60 bubblegum pop playlist of 100 songs or so, a Disney playlist with added Julie Andews stuff and a 60's and 70's pop mix--plus the huge variety on her main playlist (which was MY playlist before I got her) . But she is with me every second i'm home (I'm retired/disabled) unless I'm sleeping or doing something that might be dangrous for her--like cooking. It's more of an issue now with the broken wing. She can fly better than a bird with clipped wings, but not much. And we have four cats. And I can't trust she can bank a fast turn or self correct if she's about to fly into something dangerous--so now she's locked up while I cook. And I used to leave her loose in "her" room (my office and the pet room), but now if she flies off a perch or her cage, she can't get back up off the floor (yet). So I have to lock her in her cage. I hate it. But all the music is her consolation prize. She LOVES music.

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
Our macaw stops our Alexa. LOL, He will even raise his voice to Alexa if it doesn't stop the first time.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I would think they like movie scores because they are very dramatic, haha. Is there a particular album or station you suggest?
I'm personally fond of the 'Transformers' (first) live action movie score, followed by the score to 'Day After Tomorrow'. :)

Madtownjules

Dec 1, 2018
Our Red Belly Harpo loved Irish music especially with penny whistle. When I first got him, he really missed his previous owner and resented me a great deal. Around that time, I started learning penny whistle and it was the key to his heart. Also, he was crazy about loud music, rock, the Pogues. He seriously loved it, the louder the better and he would dance, bob, and whistle along. I didn't play loud music for a long length of time of course, but just for a few songs here and there. He sadly passed away in 2018. We now have Sunny, an older (28 y/o) Meyers parrot who gets mad when we sneeze, or laugh too loud. However, she does enjoy and bob her head along to a few loud songs by the Black Keys, and some Irish music. In these cases I am exercising to the songs and maybe she just likes to bob her head along to my jumping around. Anyway, I would suggest trying Irish music. Thanks to someone else's recommendation about the music from Hamilton, I'm going to give it a try.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Willow was having a bad day today and had a screeching episode while I was making dinner. I’m not sure what was so upsetting or if the making of bean burritos was SO EXCITING that he was going to explode.

But anyhow I had to hold him in my hands and rub his head and then we sang along to:

Israel kamakawiwe’ole singing “somewhere over the rainbow” and another song mix until Willow was very happy.

I’m glad this helped because I was worried about my little guy.

Maybe he liked the verse about “bluebirds flying” over the rainbow? I thought that was appropriate.

Lumi

Dec 21, 2022
Parrots
Her name is: Lumi
Species: Quaker Parrot
Type: Opaline green with yellow front and golden flecks
Born: August 2022
I tend to leave the radio station on and it plays a podcast in the morning then switches to different sets of music during the day, I keep it on low in the background upstairs. Downstairs I generally put the TV on, they love kids movies and cartoons, and crazy enough Nascar. Don't ask me why but my Green Cheek Conure and my Yellow Nape Amazon love watching Nascar. Go figure? But they love the cartoon/kids movies sound, color and motion.
My african grey loves nascar

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
SOund tracks to action movies set Salty off and not in a good way. He has this loud, obnoxious BRRAACCCKKK that he does, and those kinds of movies assure it non stop! He definitely uses that sound to indicate his displeasure at something. But then again, he sings, really Amazon sings, with me when I play banjo, and nothing is more obnoxious than that!

I used a talk-back box with him early on, but stopped soon after as it broke. I've read that its not a great way to get your parrot to talk or sing, as they have no idea of what they are saying or singing. Letting them choose to learn stuff almost assures they will use it in context, which is so much more fun.

Salty likes to sing along with Amazons on Youtube but doesn't learn words or phrases from them - that honor goes to Indian Ringnecks. He's learned more stuff from them than all the things we taught him combined!

Most Reactions