My African Grey attacked me

SharlenaSharlena

May 20, 2013
Portland,OR
Parrots
Skittles - Blue Mnt. Male Lorikeet
Starburst -Blue Mnt. Female Lorikeet
Kiwi - Lutino Cockatiel Male
I know this is such a traumatic experience for you and I am sorry this happened. I know when my parrot bit me the first time in my face I felt such a sense of betrayl but try not to take it personally. Parrots are so intelligent and sometimes they get sensitive or easily upset and lash out. Maybe it's hormones or a bad memory but over the course of their lives bites and attacks will happen, it's just part of parrot ownership. I am not saying it will get easier but maybe this situation may make it easier to predict and understand her moods because she and you are still learning her personality. My keets are 2 years old now and they went from little snuggle bunnies to moody little fruit loops. Some days they are so sweet and others I can't get near them without pulling back a nub. Hang in there and don't give up! Set personal boundaries so she doesn't think biting is good or a way to get her way. Good luck!

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I don't know if this was mentioned because i didn't read through the whole thread, but I would suggest you place her favorite food inside her cage and see if that helps to get her back in. I do this with my Canary. He is definably a hands off bird and getting him in when I need him to be in can be a challenge. So I just place something colorful or green and leafy inside and in he goes! Easy breezy!

Most Reactions