My amazing new horse!

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
I believe and do not hold me to this that there is legislation that was trying to be passed to allow the sale of horse meat in parts of the united states. I believe we're I live was going to be part of this I'm not sure about California.

Zazoothehahns

Apr 5, 2013
Anything is possible as far as the consumption of horse meat goes. I don't know if it would pass considering the equine slaughterhouses have been sent outside of our borders. There was talk about opening a facility down south, I don't believe it ever passed. It is largely thought to be taboo in the US because much of this country's heartland ( and beyond) was won over by way of the horse. It is a romantic type of enchantment that we associate with the horse. Can't say I'd eat it if it were available, but to each their own.
On a much nicer note, here is a pic of my two fur balls from a couple of months ago. The black horse is Stevie (Stephanie), a four year old, and the pinto that is almost all white is my gelding, Cal. He just turned 1 on April 18th. ( not related to one another)

Tab, the shire is beautiful, mt GV mare looks like a small shire. Lucky you getting to ride that horse! They are beautiful. I saw a different thread with your Clyde mix at training. So beautiful! I looked at smaller shires before I got Stevie, but was in love with the gypsies. The prices are all over the place here.....$5000-$50,000, and the quality varies also. Many people buy, but then decide to try to recoup some of their cost by breeding, and in the end breed any two gypsies whose " part fit together". Price isn't always an indicator of quality either, sometimes a very nice horse can be found for the lower price range from a small reputable breeder. I visited one of the larger GV breeders in the US ( west hill ranches in NY) I actually purchased my mare there, I had a free future breeding to a stud of my choice, but I honestly decided against breeding her, too many possible negatives....potential breeding risks, distocia, possible issues once the foal is on the ground, downtime not being able to ride, too bonded having issues with separation anxiety as they age, and I wanted a larger vanner since many are shorter. Cal should reach 15.2-16h,like his parents. A nice size, he is just over 14h at one year.
551189_547110468634620_703493643_n.jpg
150988_547110551967945_754194905_n.jpg

Last edited:

Blue

Aug 16, 2012
portland, or
Parrots
Odin - CAG
Salty- Hahn's Macaw
Greenie - Eclectus
Lexi- Eclectus
So jealous of your Vanners!!! they are my dream horse, even before I knew about them if I described my dream horse, it would have been Vanner.

Last edited:
OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Oh wow!!! They are beautiful!! :eek: They seem to enjoy the snow?
I cant believe how hairy they are hahaha Must take a while to wash them and keep them clean ;)
Are you going to ride them?

and thank you, he didnt put a hoof wrong at the trainers, hes so dopey he just went along with everything haha :p

Zazoothehahns

Apr 5, 2013
Thanks. They do enjoy the snow. Grooming isn't so bad. They love the water, so that makes bath time bearable. Stevie is broke to ride, She went out for training last year. Cal won't go until he is about 3. I just trail ride. Besides the miniature horses I had (still have two) the GVs are the most mello horses I have owned.
Tab, your guy in training, no doubt has that mello draft horse personality. I am sure he will be a wonderful unflappable riding horse. I love the typical draft horse personalities.

Last edited:

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
He's a beauty ! It seems like Fargo has a new best friend ;) . I like doing cross country and dressage, though never went in a competition. Just riding camp competitions :D . You sure are right about him being a big boy, saw the pic with him and the other horses, they were scared out of their guts ! I love thorough breds, though you have to love the Arabians structure and personality . Fave horse breed

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Will you take them to shows? I am sure they would win lots of ribbons ! haha
Oh i have a little mini/shetland, she taught me to ride when i was 5, a great little horse but she has that big horse- tiny body attitude :p haha

You are right about the unflappable personality, he is just so calm, my mum cant believe how quiet he is, and he loves people, he isnt too sure what personal space is though ;)

Maheen thats awesome!! Do you have your own horse?
I went to a training camp when i was about 10, it was so great, i was trying to find if they still did it!

Kitai actually loved the other horses, everyone was pretty friendly to him as well! :p

Oh the arabs, they look pretty and they know it, the biggest show offs haha ;)

I cant wait until next saturday, cross country clinic! Shall see if Kitai likes the scary jumps haha

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
This was an AWESOME read, until I came accross the "horse meat consumption". :11:

Having been born and raised in Germany, RIGHT by the dutch border, I had a "close" call once with a "wurst". Luckily a friend told me what I was about to sink my teeth in, so that "wurst" found itself in the nearest trash bin. :eek:

Kitai is magnificent, Tab!!! The two of you make a GREAT team!!! :D

Zazoothehahns

Apr 5, 2013
No, no shows, unless it is a local gaming show for fun. I just love the breed and enjoy trail riding. I did some showing with the miniatures when I had a small herd and did some limited breeding over 8 years. Loved the foals but hated dealing with the selling and people end of it all. Crazy crazy horse people, today's treasure would turn out to be tomorrows trash, it only took one bad sale for me to say it wasn't worth putting all the love, time, effort and money into a foal that someone may treat as a throwaway.

Most Reactions