My Cockatiel is bleeding and might die. Please please help me

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Ned, you are a champion! Whatever happens, your poor little bird knows you've done everything you possibly could to get help. I'm praying for both of you too and hope the next day or two brings recovery and good news for you. Stay strong! Lots of people are caring about you right now! XX

OP
Ned

Ned

Mar 23, 2013
Jeddah, KSA
Parrots
A Cockatiel <3
Its been 12 hours since the accident and he's still holding on. I think the swelling of his eyes got a bit better. I just gave him some water but he didn't drink it. Pray for him please.

OP
Ned

Ned

Mar 23, 2013
Jeddah, KSA
Parrots
A Cockatiel <3
Ned, you are a champion! Whatever happens, your poor little bird knows you've done everything you possibly could to get help. I'm praying for both of you too and hope the next day or two brings recovery and good news for you. Stay strong! Lots of people are caring about you right now! XX

Oh I hope so! Thank you

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Oh I'm so sorry that happened! I'm glad he is still pulling through! I will definitely pray!

OP
Ned

Ned

Mar 23, 2013
Jeddah, KSA
Parrots
A Cockatiel <3
Oh dear, my heart is breaking for you and your bird! I am so very sorry this happened to him. :(
Like someone else said, this is an extremely serious injury. Did the vet not suggest he stay in hospital for care?
Keeping you in my thoughts. HUGS!!

No he didn't, said no need for Kai to stay at the clinic and I wouldn't trust them with him anyway

OP
Ned

Ned

Mar 23, 2013
Jeddah, KSA
Parrots
A Cockatiel <3
Hope your bird pulls through, Ned. Birds are so fragile, and the sight of blood can make you distraught with worry over their welfare. Having recently had a 'tiel with a pierced wing from a cockatoo bite, I can't begin to imagine how distressing it would be to be caring for a bird with a head injury. The lack of avian vets I can understand, having not lived within 6 hours drive from one for years. I'd be surprised if there were many dogs in KSA, what other animals are kept as pets besides birds and cats?

If your bird is OK after a day or two, he'll probably pull through as long as infection is kept at bay. Did vet give any antibiotics? I'd be worried that any infection in a head wound would affect the bird very quickly. Also, if he does pull through he'll still have to be kept very quiet as balance and flying ability may be affected so you'd not want him crashing when injuries not healed.

All the best for your bird, Ned.

They aren't as much dogs here as in the US, but in the city I live in there are a lot Americans, Asians, Australians..etc and most of them own dogs or cats. They're are Saudi families who are okay with having a dog, but those usually live in a spacious villa with a big yard as the dog is not welcomed in the house.

No antibiotics! Would you tell me more about this? After the two days should I go and ask for it?

Thank you Mike

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Glad he's still holding on, Ned. I would suggest you take him back for another check by the vet and then ask about the antibiotics too. You said the vet gave him an injection? Perhaps that contained antibiotics?

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
They aren't as much dogs here as in the US, but in the city I live in there are a lot Americans, Asians, Australians..etc and most of them own dogs or cats. They're are Saudi families who are okay with having a dog, but those usually live in a spacious villa with a big yard as the dog is not welcomed in the house.

No antibiotics! Would you tell me more about this? After the two days should I go and ask for it?

Thank you Mike

I'm in Australia, not US, but can understand why only people with big compounds could have dogs, and not allowed in the house. In a compound they could be classed as a "guard dog" even if only a chihuahua :) My cousin lived in KSA for 7 years, her husband still lives/works there commutes to Oz regularly. They had to live in a compound for foreigners. I'm not sure many Australians would own pets in KSA, it's very expensive to bring them back (3 months quarantine).

Antibiotics would appear to be useful here, although I'm not fond of them being administered willy-nilly. If infection set into a head wound, there'd be a short window of opportunity between noticing the infection and it being treated, so a precautionary dose would be advisable, perhaps.

pmcassey

Nov 19, 2013
It is a good sign that the swelling is going down - I keep hoping for the best for you and your friend. I had a similar problem with one of my budgies - a hawk scared him and he flew into a wall trying to get away. Never mind that the hawk was outside and he was in. I kept him in a quiet room with 3 sides of his cage covered, at night I would cover the entire cage. He did recover but does not fly anymore. I think he might have some bit of a brain injury. I sure do hope your little fellow pulls through.

OP
Ned

Ned

Mar 23, 2013
Jeddah, KSA
Parrots
A Cockatiel <3
It is a good sign that the swelling is going down - I keep hoping for the best for you and your friend. I had a similar problem with one of my budgies - a hawk scared him and he flew into a wall trying to get away. Never mind that the hawk was outside and he was in. I kept him in a quiet room with 3 sides of his cage covered, at night I would cover the entire cage. He did recover but does not fly anymore. I think he might have some bit of a brain injury. I sure do hope your little fellow pulls through.

Thank you for sharing that, it gives me some hope. I just want him to get better and live.

OP
Ned

Ned

Mar 23, 2013
Jeddah, KSA
Parrots
A Cockatiel <3

Thank you Mike

I'm in Australia, not US, but can understand why only people with big compounds could have dogs, and not allowed in the house. In a compound they could be classed as a "guard dog" even if only a chihuahua :) My cousin lived in KSA for 7 years, her husband still lives/works there commutes to Oz regularly. They had to live in a compound for foreigners. I'm not sure many Australians would own pets in KSA, it's very expensive to bring them back (3 months quarantine).

Antibiotics would appear to be useful here, although I'm not fond of them being administered willy-nilly. If infection set into a head wound, there'd be a short window of opportunity between noticing the infection and it being treated, so a precautionary dose would be advisable, perhaps.

The people I know keep their pets with friends when they go back to their countries. Some of them sadly give them for adoption when they're leaving KSA for good, but usually they take their pets with them. Some places here will take care of everything for you and offer housing too, but its really expensive.

When the vet saw Kai I asked him about his wounds, he said something like its not serious he is just bleeding from his eyes.

The bleeding from his eyes and ears has stopped as far as I can tell, but I think he's coughing blood?

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Ned, I am so glad to hear he is still hanging in there....what a tough bird!....I would try and give him some millet, if you have some or can get some. he needs to eat a little bit, birds can only go for so long without food. do you by any chance have any hand feeding formula you can get your hands on??, that would be your best option.

If not see if you can get some liquid vitamins and put it into the water that you are giving him.

other than that, I would take him back to the vets, if you think he can withstand the stress.

OP
Ned

Ned

Mar 23, 2013
Jeddah, KSA
Parrots
A Cockatiel <3
QUESTION: He is trying to move and get up and he's moving his wings should I let him do that?! So far I've been patting him gently and tucking his wings back every time he tries to move. Is that good or bad?

On another note, the vet clinics are only interested in getting my money than helping a poor creature in need. Its really disgusting, they wont answer any questions. Wont tell me even if they have an avian Dr or can provide antibiotic shots! All I get is "bring him and the Dr will see if he can help him" Which I would totally do if I was able to afford it.

OP
Ned

Ned

Mar 23, 2013
Jeddah, KSA
Parrots
A Cockatiel <3
Ned, I am so glad to hear he is still hanging in there....what a tough bird!....I would try and give him some millet, if you have some or can get some. he needs to eat a little bit, birds can only go for so long without food. do you by any chance have any hand feeding formula you can get your hands on??, that would be your best option.

If not see if you can get some liquid vitamins and put it into the water that you are giving him.

other than that, I would take him back to the vets, if you think he can withstand the stress.

I have millets! I'll try feeding it to him. What's a feeding formula? Do I buy it or make it myself?
I have vitamin D that I use for myself, can I give it to him? Or they have special things?

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
I have millets! I'll try feeding it to him. What's a feeding formula? Do I buy it or make it myself?
I have vitamin D that I use for myself, can I give it to him? Or they have special things?

Avian vitamins are usually in the form of a liquid in pet section of supermarket or maybe from the vet's. Vit D alone would be insufficient and not necessarily in a form you could give the bird in any case (I use it too, and it comes in capsules).

"Feeding formula" I'm guessing is something like Neocare (in Oz) used for hand-raising baby birds but it's suitable for older birds too. It's a complete food, no vitamin supplement would be necessary. Finding it in KSA would be the problem, you'd get it online but postage time would be unsuitable as you need it now, or soon. Alternatively, you could find parrot pellets (size wouldn't matter) and put it through a coffee grinder to turn it into a powder, and make it up into a paste with warm water- a thick paste for feeding from a bowl, or thinner if you can get hold of a syringe (the plastic part with plunger, needle not required) and feed bird that way- small amounts into his mouth at a time, not force feeding. We feed our princess parrot Kermit with the thicker paste as his beak is deformed.

Good luck, Ned.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
QUESTION: He is trying to move and get up and he's moving his wings should I let him do that?! So far I've been patting him gently and tucking his wings back every time he tries to move. Is that good or bad?

On another note, the vet clinics are only interested in getting my money than helping a poor creature in need. Its really disgusting, they wont answer any questions. Wont tell me even if they have an avian Dr or can provide antibiotic shots! All I get is "bring him and the Dr will see if he can help him" Which I would totally do if I was able to afford it.

Moving his wings shouldn't be an issue, Ned. he's want to stretch them in any case. It would be inadvisable to allow him to fly, though, at least until he's well and truly on the mend. He, and you, might not find out his balance id off until he crashes, and that's the last thing you want at this stage. So allow him to move, but try to keep him quiet and not flying... but of course he needs to eat and drink so can't be kept quiet all the time.

OP
Ned

Ned

Mar 23, 2013
Jeddah, KSA
Parrots
A Cockatiel <3

Avian vitamins are usually in the form of a liquid in pet section of supermarket or maybe from the vet's. Vit D alone would be insufficient and not necessarily in a form you could give the bird in any case (I use it too, and it comes in capsules).

"Feeding formula" I'm guessing is something like Neocare (in Oz) used for hand-raising baby birds but it's suitable for older birds too. It's a complete food, no vitamin supplement would be necessary. Finding it in KSA would be the problem, you'd get it online but postage time would be unsuitable as you need it now, or soon. Alternatively, you could find parrot pellets (size wouldn't matter) and put it through a coffee grinder to turn it into a powder, and make it up into a paste with warm water- a thick paste for feeding from a bowl, or thinner if you can get hold of a syringe (the plastic part with plunger, needle not required) and feed bird that way- small amounts into his mouth at a time, not force feeding. We feed our princess parrot Kermit with the thicker paste as his beak is deformed.

Good luck, Ned.

Thank you so much for all the information! Insha'Allah I'll go to the pet store and get the vitamins and try to find a feeding formula. Does it have to be parrot pellets? or can I use this one [here]

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
I'm so glad to hear he's still hanging on! Good luck to you both.
Try and get him to eat and drink something regularly, if he can. Birds so small can starve very quickly.

Most Reactions

Latest posts