My conure just takes off

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Central Oregon (Paradise!)
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
So - I have had Keen for about 10 days now. I've been taking him out of his cage and holding him. I was having trouble getting ahold of him (he wasn't coming out willingly) so I was using a blanket to more easily get him. When I first get him out I've been just sort of gently holding him wrapped in the blanket and petting him, etc. I spend 1+ hour doing that and during the time I loosen the "wrap" once he seems calmed down and allow him to walk around on me, etc. I give him treats, lots of talking to, lots of rubs, etc. The thing is ... once he hops down off of me it's like he bolts! He just takes off, almost like he's running scared! I can NOT catch him easily and he will NOT let me pick him up again. I've tried to put him on my desk in front of me, offer him treats, pet him, etc, but once he's out of my grasp he just takes off and tries to hide.

Any suggestions on how to make him feel more calm and keep him from taking off?

(His sings are clipped - so he isn't flying off - just hopping and fluttering)

Thanks!

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
It sounds like he's scared of you. Naturally, we avoid things that we fear. So can you blame him for bolting once he gets the chance?

I don't think that grabbing him with a blanket and holding him against his will is a good way to win his trust. It's actually pretty traumatizing. Think about it - would you want to snuggle with someone after they've restrained you and held you against your will?

I think patience is key. Learn to respect your bird. Let him come out on his own terms - do not use force or it will instill fear instead of trust. Conures are very social birds, and once he feels comfortable around you and learns to trust you, you won't be able to keep him away.

Leave the cage door open for now and just hang out around the cage. Let him get more accustomed to your presence so that he feels safe around you. Offer him treats and reward him (verbally or with a treat) once he steps out of his cage. Make the experience enjoyable for him, so that he will look forward to doing it again in the future. Give him plenty of time, because building trust takes time. It doesn't happen overnight.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
+1 on stopping the blanket "attacks". Our conure was a rescue bird so he had lots of triggers to his fears that WE had to learn (for some reason he thought the lint roller was the devil).

Reading to him, talking to him reassuringly, giving treats will let him get to know you and learn that you are his friend, not his enemy to be feared.

Ultimately let him be himself and let you know when HE'S ready to socialize.

OP
Mamanda

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Central Oregon (Paradise!)
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
I spent a week trying to get Keen to come out willingly, but I needed to clean his cage and resorted to using a blanket to get him out, because I was really worried about hurting his wings when he was getting all worked up about me trying to get him out. After I did get him out, he wasn't being forced by any means. After he calmed down enough that he wouldn't hurt himself, I would unwrap the blanket and just hold him on my chest. He would try to bury himself back into the blanket. He seems to LOVE the blanket, but doesn't seem like he knows what to do when he's not being held; has the option to walk freely.
Today as I was typing my original post he was screaming at me from inside his cage. I ended up getting him out shortly after. I think he likes being out, just not sure what he's supposed to do. This time I sort of "corralled" him back when he tried to wonder too far and "bolt off". Once he knew it was OK to stay near by, and hang out, he ended up walking around on my desk, eating treats, playing with a ball etc. Which is what he's been doing for the past hour. He seems a LOT better now. Like he "gets it".

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
Yes, I would stop with the blanket. Get him out on the blanket, calm him down a bit (just for a minute or so) then just let him go. If he runs away, just stay in the room and do whatever. He might start exploring.

Scotty T

May 26, 2011
Parrots
Red Factor Sun Conure
Yes, blanket attacks no good.

So I had a similar issue.

My bird is very friendly but also a little baby.
She never wanted to go back into the cage.

So what worked for me as to keep following her to each room she flew to until she was exhausted, I would give her praise when she finally came to me and rub her head then tell her "time to go home".

Now she's pretty good about going in her cage, some days she doesn't want to go back , but I understand.

Most Reactions