Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I got the "cute" assortment at the moment. 2 bantams, 1 crested, and 3 I can't remember...lol I my son wanted some chicks and picked about 6 cute ones.

That's what I want , the cute package , lolol.:p

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
I'm jealous. Hubs and I have been talking and I've decided what I want to do when I "grow up"... the problem is he doesn't think it's realistic for me :( But it involves breeding birds, so I'm definitely jealous of you right now! Congrats!

Oh , my husband and I have had that conversation , but just a little differently.
We say , when grow up we want our own farm , with sheep , goats , chickens , horses :rolleyes:
We have enough acres but still want more , so we need to find something maybe on the Northfork. Till then , I will be starting our farm here slowly.....
I asked him what I could get and he said anything you can keep inside he sheep fencing ! SO........that leaves me with a lot of choices :)
I always wanted a Alpaca , lolol.
:white1::white1:
Good luck with your breeding aviary :) :white1::D

JEALOUS!!!

There's a 14 acre "ranch" in AZ available that I would love to have. 14 acres of dessert, but hey, I'll take what I can get! Unfortunately, it's not gonna be available when we're ready to buy in another year

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I'm jealous. Hubs and I have been talking and I've decided what I want to do when I "grow up"... the problem is he doesn't think it's realistic for me :( But it involves breeding birds, so I'm definitely jealous of you right now! Congrats!

Oh , my husband and I have had that conversation , but just a little differently.
We say , when grow up we want our own farm , with sheep , goats , chickens , horses :rolleyes:
We have enough acres but still want more , so we need to find something maybe on the Northfork. Till then , I will be starting our farm here slowly.....
I asked him what I could get and he said anything you can keep inside he sheep fencing ! SO........that leaves me with a lot of choices :)
I always wanted a Alpaca , lolol.
Good luck with your breeding aviary :) :white1::D

JEALOUS!!!

There's a 14 acre "ranch" in AZ available that I would love to have. 14 acres of dessert, but hey, I'll take what I can get! Unfortunately, it's not gonna be available when we're ready to buy in another year[/

You never know.......it could be. Is that where you are moving to ?
Ideally we would like something that backs up to State land , a preserve , something we can just open the back gate and go riding.
We have a nice place here for horses , but we need to trailer out if we want to go trail riding . So , we really want to move , and plus with the dogs , we don't want to be ontop of the neighbors , lolol.
I hope you find the perfect place for your breeding aviary , farm , etc..

OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
I'm lucky with the trail riding thing... my property borders a horse trail that was put in where railroad tracks use to be, it runs through 3 towns and through a state park and lake. Plus my father in law owns a lot of land and we ride his CRP fields periodically as well. We thought about moving at one point, and then realized that while buildings can be rebuilt, we can't build a horse friendly trail. So we stayed.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I'm lucky with the trail riding thing... my property borders a horse trail that was put in where railroad tracks use to be, it runs through 3 towns and through a state park and lake. Plus my father in law owns a lot of land and we ride his CRP fields periodically as well. We thought about moving at one point, and then realized that while buildings can be rebuilt, we can't build a horse friendly trail. So we stayed.

I agree , Trails like that are hard to find. And to have property that borders it , GOLD ! lolol. I wouldn't move either :)

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots

Yeah, I'd stay put just for that as well!

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I know I definitely need a really nice sunroom for the birds. I would love to have tree stands and jungle gyms for them to come out of their cages onto.
I would also make that our TV room , so we would spend most of our time in there as well.
I dont want a bird room where I have to leave the rest of the house to go to.
Because then I feel I wouldn't spend as much time in it.
I want them to be part of everything that goes on , comes and goes.
I would hate to be in a room where I can only hear what is going and not see.
And when I hear them in the morning , I know they are fine :)
This is just MY perfect world.
I would just worry if windows all around the room would make them feel insecure.
I know they enjoy the skylights we have in our TV room now , along with many windows.
But they do keep checking for predators . I have seen them catch sight of a hawk every now and then , and they send out the alerts and fly back into their cages.
So , would a sunroom , you know the kind , tons of windows , make them feel too nervous and insecure ? Or would they get used to it in time ? I just wouldn't want to put them in a room to live and make them have a nervous breakdown at the same time :(
But , who knows when we will have that "perfect bird room" ......I'm just day dreaming right now , lolol.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
I'd love that ranch. Then I'd build a few breeding sheds and have several breeding pairs of.. I don't know yet, lol. I'd also take in rescues. What I want to do is have a store much like where I got Sugar; toys, supplies, boarding, sale of handfed babies as well as consignment of birds (which is how I got Sugar!). Hubs thinks there's already something like that in the Phoenix area and the start up cost is astronomical. That's why he says it's unrealistic :(

I even have the look of the store going on in my head :eek:

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I'd love that ranch. Then I'd build a few breeding sheds and have several breeding pairs of.. I don't know yet, lol. I'd also take in rescues. What I want to do is have a store much like where I got Sugar; toys, supplies, boarding, sale of handfed babies as well as consignment of birds (which is how I got Sugar!). Hubs thinks there's already something like that in the Phoenix area and the start up cost is astronomical. That's why he says it's unrealistic :(

I even have the look of the store going on in my head :eek:

It's always good to be prepared , lolol. You never know when that chance could one your way :). Never say never !

OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
Oddly I looked into starting a bird store, and for some reason all the banks I talked to were eager to give me a loan (apparently petstores rarely fail) that's what the banks kept telling me.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Oddly I looked into starting a bird store, and for some reason all the banks I talked to were eager to give me a loan (apparently petstores rarely fail) that's what the banks kept telling me.

Would you be able to sell animals or would you be like me and require a home check , interviews of friends , relatives , a pint of blood , copy of drivers license ,etc....lololol
I dont think I would be the right person for that kind of business , lol.

OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
That was about 5 years ago, and I decided to do a private aviary and brIeeding operation so I can be picky and take my time without the stress of paying rent and such. Besides if I had a store I wouldn't be able to spend as much time with the birds, and that is unacceptable.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
I'd take my two with me every day, that way they'd be around me and get to meet other people. I could still be picky about the breeding ;) I'd also take handfed babies from other breeders, to supplement what I don't breed. I'd focus mostly on supplies, boarding and consignment though.

I can sooo visualize it, that it breaks my heart to think it might not ever happen :(

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I'd take my two with me every day, that way they'd be around me and get to meet other people. I could still be picky about the breeding ;) I'd also take handfed babies from other breeders, to supplement what I don't breed. I'd focus mostly on supplies, boarding and consignment though.

I can sooo visualize it, that it breaks my heart to think it might not ever happen :(

I wouldnt give up dreaming about it Katherine.
You never know what the future holds ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts