My Heart is Breaking Again!

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well, the three damaged toes are scabbed over, and I got her to stop picking at them at least last night and this morning.

She has cuts on two of her front toes, one on each foot, that have scabbed over.

She amputated a portion of her own rear toe, and not because it was trapped on anything. The blood was below her favorite spot on her bird tree in the window. She just bit her own toe off for no apparent reason... I was able to stop the bleeding, and it has scabbed over.

She seemed to be a lot happier this morning. I kept her with me last night.

The vet is going to work me in sometime this morning. CBC to rule out infection, and we go from there.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Glad to hear that she has stopped picking at them and biting them and that the toes are scabbing over...they may be itchy as they heal so keep a close eye on her and perhaps the vet might have a suggestion of something you could use to help her with this...fingers crossed there is no infection and that Sally doesnt try to hurt herself again...there is one other possibility would an insect have come in the window and scared her and caused her to start biting her toes if it was buzzing around her feet or walking on them... I remember seeing a cockatiel once bite himself where an insect had come in a vented window and landed on him. He just got spooked and attacked himself where he felt the insect walk but we got to him before he did too much damage... he did however draw blood and had left a little cut on his leg before we got to him...maybe something similar happened Sally. I do hope she will be okay.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Oh Mark, I hope your vet can figure this out quickly. Please let it be fully treatable with no loss of function or agility.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Mark, I'm so sorry to hear Sally has hurt herself. I hope the vet can answer your questions and help Sally recover and get past this.

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
Wow my heart dropped when I read the title. Oh mark,hang in there. Sally will be ok. If there's anything you can think of that I can help with let me know.

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Poor Sally! That sounds horrific. I am so sorry to hear. I hope the CBC gives you some useful info and that she can heal.

If it gives you any hope, my Jimmy who has been mutilating for months has finally seemed to stop - not 100% on the cause but possibly gram positive internal infection that wouldn't show up in tests. Antibiotic (cephalexin) changed her personality back to the parrot I knew.

DinoTheLori

May 21, 2016
i'm so sorry to hear this. I have heard about bird mutilating and plucking out their feathers, but never amputating their own legs. My heart goes out to you.
I'm so sorry. I am praying that you can get to the bottom of this and find out what cause her so much pain, that she's doing this to herself.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
How is Sally doing today Mark? Hopefully the visit to the vet went well and that they were able to do something to help.

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
I'm so sorry, Mark. I hope the vet can isolate the issue and that it is something very curable.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sally had a rough night last night. I've been up since 3:00 am with her. She went back to the vet at 7:00 a.m. this morning.

She has been super clingy with me.

Let me rephrase. More super clingy than usual for this time of year.

She hasn't lost her appetite. She's eating and drinking okay. Her front toes have scabbed over and appear to be healing nicely, but the back toe is absolutely mangled, and she keeps ripping it open, and is in obvious pain.

Should know more this afternoon.

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
Hoping that miss Sally pulls through okay… I am so sorry, this is the last thing you need :(

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Sorry to hear that Sally had a bad night...hopefully the vet will be able to do something for the pain...poor girl...praying she makes a speedy and complete recovery and doesnt look back...Get Well Soon Sally

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well, Sally is home from the vet. They managed to save the foot, but they had to amputate a toe. They may (probably will) have to do a further amputation depending on how much necrotic tissue there is.

No definitive diagnosis yet for the underlying cause of this.

She's on an antibiotic, pain meds, and diazepam.

Anyone have any experience with amazons on diazepam?

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Well, Sally is home from the vet. They managed to save the foot, but they had to amputate a toe. They may (probably will) have to do a further amputation depending on how much necrotic tissue there is.

No definitive diagnosis yet for the underlying cause of this.

She's on an antibiotic, pain meds, and diazepam.

Anyone have any experience with amazons on diazepam?

Mark, none of my fids have used diazepam...but my quack < that's what I refer doctors as> subscribed it to me,for my "restless leg syndrome" I experience from time to time..I believe its like valium..to relax the nerves,but don't quote me on this..

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Our Avian Vet prescribed our DYH Amazon Diazepam after his second rump surgery.

His sleep was very deep while on the medication. That resulted in his falling from the perch if he did not have his head turned (tucked) over his back (balanced sleep state). So, we needed to check that he had not fallen asleep facing forward.

Seemed far less interested in the surgical site. No other side effects seen other than very mellow.

Last edited:

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Poor Sally hopefully there wont be a need for any more amputations ... but if more surgery is needed then please God you and Sally will get through that too...I know nothing about the meds but I do hope the meds help her through this time and make it a little easier for her. Lots of prayers and well wishes sent to you and Sally

littleredhen77

Aug 30, 2015
maine
Parrots
cockatiel ((Jake))
eclectus ((ziggy))
im so sorry to hear that you and your birds are going through so much..im deeply sorry and i hope i can send some positive and caring vibes your way, something has to work out for you! ill be thinking of you and willing anyone/anything out there to help correct this. <3 <3 <3

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Mark, I hope Sally has a better night and has seen the last of amputation. Is the vet fairly confident of an eventual diagnosis and treatment?

With all you and your flock have experienced recently, it is time for some good news for Sally!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Pleased Sally is home with you, and sincerely hoping for no more surgery. Healing thoughts to you and your flock.

Most Reactions