My needy birdy num nums Quackers

Unisyst

Dec 15, 2012
Ontario Canada
Parrots
Baby - Pineapple GCC (Hatched Dec 1st). RIP Quackers (YS GCC) :(
Quackers is very needy. I'm actually okay with this, but I hate leaving him alone. I'm usually at home and pretty much always on my computer when home. If I move away from him, he makes noises and tries to get to me.

If I put him in his cage he paces it for a good 20 minutes if I don't let him out. (five minutes or less of this and I give in, poor birdy :( ). If I cover him he meep meeps a lot. He will eventually stop and try and entertain himself with his toys (he has a few.. a swing, 3 layers of perches (one wood, one nail shaving, one for biting).

How can I get him to be a tad more independent? (I know they NEED a flock though).. He's still a baby, so maybe in the future or no?

Bed time is hilarious cause he complains .. especially when I turn out the lights... but he's gotta sleep at the same time each night, and get a full nights rest uninterrupted. He does eventually go to sleep. I have a large fan I turn on max so it provides white noise to cover any noises I might make.

I actually miss him too when I spend a lot of time away from him (I love being in his flock!! such an honor!), but I don't want him to be too lonely... Currently I'm unemployed, but soon I'll have a job.. Is another bird necessary?

No matter what I'm OBSESSED with his well-being, and I love him more than anything. I'll take any advise you fine people have!

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Quakers is the same age as Squirt, pinapple conure... She knows that when she get put back into her cage, that's where she stays till I let her back out... She just gets on with playing..

If you want Quakers to be more independent, you probably just have to ignore the behaviour...

Most Reactions

Latest posts