My new Amazon Kiwi (and previous deliberation)

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Re: Just wanna share pics of my beautiful baby, Kiwi :)

Kiwi is so pretty! Great cages you have to.

I cover Rosie's cage, and leave Kenji's cage uncovered. Rosie likes to sleep in late, and appreciates the extra darkness. I use a light microfiber black cloth that is a little see through, and the front of the cage is left uncovered. kenji freaks out if he's covered, I only tried once and he screamed and fell to the bottom of his cage. He wakes up with the sun, so covering him would not benifent him like does with ms Rosie who sleeps in late.

I do clicker train, excellent to do so ;)

no idea on sex

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx

I dunno anything about the sexing of the red crowned amazons, but just wanted to tell you that she is absolutely gorgeous. Just by feel it looks to me that she is a girl. :) Very sweet beautiful bird!
I always cover the cages at night because my birds go to bed rather late (10pm), and I don't want them up too early in the morning.
I've never done any clicker training, but I train my birds to do the necessary things. :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub

I love the black nails on white feet, not very common in most specie of amazon. Good looking bird.

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.

Kiwi is very beautiful!

At the moment Gizmo is being clicker trained but it's very hard since he's not the biggest fan of millet.

OP
Ninjette

Ninjette

Sep 10, 2014
California
Parrots
Red-Headed Amazon - Melon,
Jenday Conure - Halo,
Budgies - Mickey and Pluto

Kiwi is so pretty! Great cages you have to.

I cover Rosie's cage, and leave Kenji's cage uncovered. Rosie likes to sleep in late, and appreciates the extra darkness. I use a light microfiber black cloth that is a little see through, and the front of the cage is left uncovered. kenji freaks out if he's covered, I only tried once and he screamed and fell to the bottom of his cage. He wakes up with the sun, so covering him would not benifent him like does with ms Rosie who sleeps in late.

I do clicker train, excellent to do so ;)

no idea on sex

Thanks!
Halo goes to sleep at around 9-9:30pm, Kiwi has been sleeping since 7pm..prolly tired from being at the bird show and all the transferring... Mickey and Pluto go to sleep late, but they take naps during the day haha
I go to bed at 11-11:30pm, up at 6:30am for work...

got the cage for Kiwi from the bird show today, great deal..

I dunno anything about the sexing of the red crowned amazons, but just wanted to tell you that she is absolutely gorgeous. Just by feel it looks to me that she is a girl. :) Very sweet beautiful bird!
I always cover the cages at night because my birds go to bed rather late (10pm), and I don't want them up too early in the morning.
I've never done any clicker training, but I train my birds to do the necessary things. :)

Thanks!
the way Kiwi babbles, it sounds like a girl too.. will ask for a DNA test when I bring it to the avian vet for tests hehe

I love the black nails on white feet, not very common in most specie of amazon. Good looking bird.
Thanks! seems like you have a lot of Amazons. is it true that they are temperamental and moody? when is their hormonal stage?

OP
Ninjette

Ninjette

Sep 10, 2014
California
Parrots
Jenday Conure - Halo,

Kiwi is very beautiful!

At the moment Gizmo is being clicker trained but it's very hard since he's not the biggest fan of millet.

Thanks! I haven't tested the water yet cuz Kiwi seems tired.. I wonder what treats Kiwi likes too haha. will try tmr after work hehe

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)

kiwi is beautiful! love those zons :D

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'

He is absolutely adorable! He's going to be a real sweetheart!

We absolutely do cover our Kiwi's cage at night with a dark cover. Parrots benefit from routine! Keeping a parrot on a very consistent routine will help 4/5 years from now when your little guy reaches puberty too:)

Our Kiwi did not like the clicker noise and it didn't seem to add value to his training (he picked up on target training, as an older bird at that, just fine without it). Some parrots really DO seem to need the click, others do fine on verbal cues. I guess you'll have to work with your Kiwi and see:) Since he's so young, I would imagine now would be the time to get him used to the clicker if you wanted to use it (our Kiwi is 16 y/o).

A vet will need to do a DNA test OR you can order a home kit where you will pluck a few feathers and send them off to the lab. Personally, I'd let my bird hate the vet for plucking him:54:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts

Kiwi is a real beauty! Very nice cages!

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
You should consider a quarantine room to separate the birds until they are all vetted. You could possibly spread disease from one bird to another and have a flock full of sick birds quickly.

While Kiwi seems quiet now, however that may not last. Birds are generally on their very best behavior when in a new enviroment. Bad behavior usually shows its head a few weeks in. Amazons can be quite loud at times. I believe I recall that your landlord had a concern with the noise level with the 3 Jenday's, I hope Kiwi stays a quiet bird for you.

Amazons are well known for their " Attitudes " and Kiwi may know how to step up and just not want to at the moment.

Kiwi is a cutie pie ! I adore the red head zons, as I fostered a pair of them for a year and it was extremely hard when it was time for them to return to their owner. I still visit them every few months though.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

Many congrats on your fabulous addition!! :) Kiwi sure is a gorgeous bird!

Since you literally 'just' got him, I would have recommended you not place him with your current flock right away until after a thorough vet check, and a clean bill of health. :)

OP
Ninjette

Ninjette

Sep 10, 2014
California
Parrots
Jenday Conure - Halo,

He is absolutely adorable! He's going to be a real sweetheart!

We absolutely do cover our Kiwi's cage at night with a dark cover. Parrots benefit from routine! Keeping a parrot on a very consistent routine will help 4/5 years from now when your little guy reaches puberty too:)

Our Kiwi did not like the clicker noise and it didn't seem to add value to his training (he picked up on target training, as an older bird at that, just fine without it). Some parrots really DO seem to need the click, others do fine on verbal cues. I guess you'll have to work with your Kiwi and see:) Since he's so young, I would imagine now would be the time to get him used to the clicker if you wanted to use it (our Kiwi is 16 y/o).

A vet will need to do a DNA test OR you can order a home kit where you will pluck a few feathers and send them off to the lab. Personally, I'd let my bird hate the vet for plucking him:54:

Thanks!
LOL same name.. I couldn't think of anything green, cute and suitable for Kiwi, so, I named it Kiwi.
I covered it last night, and it seemed fine.. but it's still grumpy.. not sure why. maybe not used to the new environment yet..

they understand verbal cues well? I say no to it when it bites.. it didn't bite at the bird show. got grumpy when we got home..>.<

Many congrats on your fabulous addition!! :) Kiwi sure is a gorgeous bird!

Since you literally 'just' got him, I would have recommended you not place him with your current flock right away until after a thorough vet check, and a clean bill of health. :)

Kiwi is in its own cage, Halo has his own, Mickey and Pluto have their own. All other birds had annual check up already this year. Going to bring Kiwi to the vet this weekend. Halo's cage is right next to Kiwi's and I let them out one by one. Is it fine? they won't be able to touch each other.

OP
Ninjette

Ninjette

Sep 10, 2014
California
Parrots
Jenday Conure - Halo,
You should consider a quarantine room to separate the birds until they are all vetted. You could possibly spread disease from one bird to another and have a flock full of sick birds quickly.

While Kiwi seems quiet now, however that may not last. Birds are generally on their very best behavior when in a new enviroment. Bad behavior usually shows its head a few weeks in. Amazons can be quite loud at times. I believe I recall that your landlord had a concern with the noise level with the 3 Jenday's, I hope Kiwi stays a quiet bird for you.

Amazons are well known for their " Attitudes " and Kiwi may know how to step up and just not want to at the moment.

Kiwi is a cutie pie ! I adore the red head zons, as I fostered a pair of them for a year and it was extremely hard when it was time for them to return to their owner. I still visit them every few months though.

Thanks! I thought as long as they don't touch each other was fine...
Kiwi doesn't know how to step up yet. My friend who is experienced tried a few times and it didn't step up. He had to teach it step up. Successful 1-2 times. Kiwi is pretty grumpy at the moment. Waiting for it to be happier first, then will see if it will let me touch soon.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

Kiwi is in its own cage, Halo has his own, Mickey and Pluto have their own. All other birds had annual check up already this year. Going to bring Kiwi to the vet this weekend. Halo's cage is right next to Kiwi's and I let them out one by one. Is it fine? they won't be able to touch each other.

Well, quarantine is actually meant to totally keep new birds away from the established ones (meaning an entirely different part of the house).

Here, this is a very good thread about quarantine, to give you a better understanding of what "could" go wrong. :)

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-health-care/27268-dos-don-ts-quarantine.html

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

Thanks!
LOL same name.. I couldn't think of anything green, cute and suitable for Kiwi, so, I named it Kiwi.
I covered it last night, and it seemed fine.. but it's still grumpy.. not sure why. maybe not used to the new environment yet..

they understand verbal cues well? I say no to it when it bites.. it didn't bite at the bird show. got grumpy when we got home..>.<

"IT"????? :eek: :( I understand you don't know Kiwi's gender right now, but 'it'??? :(

Please remember that Kiwi is now in a brand new home, and it's to be expected that (s)he is anxious, nervous and perhaps even a bit nippy. I see you were already able to pet him/her, so that is GREAT progress. Patience, patience and more patience. Give Kiwi plenty of time to get used to his new home. :)

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Just wanna share pics of my beautiful baby, Kiwi :)

Nice looking zon!

Whose cage is he sitting on? I'm just curious because the shape of the top looks totally different than the other two pictures, and it looks identical to the cage I used to house my budgies in (which would be WAYYY too small to house an amazon).

OP
Ninjette

Ninjette

Sep 10, 2014
California
Parrots
Jenday Conure - Halo,

Thanks!

"IT"????? :eek: :( I understand you don't know Kiwi's gender right now, but 'it'??? :(

Please remember that Kiwi is now in a brand new home, and it's to be expected that (s)he is anxious, nervous and perhaps even a bit nippy. I see you were already able to pet him/her, so that is GREAT progress. Patience, patience and more patience. Give Kiwi plenty of time to get used to his new home. :)

>.< I guess I will use "he" for now. how long does it take for him to get used to the new home and be happy? he let me pet when I pet his head and neck from behind.. he would make noise and bite if I bring my finger in front of him.. I'm trying to be patient, but I wanna hug him when I see him sleeping.. he looks so sweet when sleeping @.@

Nice looking zon!

Whose cage is he sitting on? I'm just curious because the shape of the top looks totally different than the other two pictures, and it looks identical to the cage I used to house my budgies in (which would be WAYYY too small to house an amazon).

Thanks!
when we let him out of the traveler's cage, we brought him to the playground, but he kept flying up on the budgies' cage. so I petted him and took a few pics. then got him out of there. covered the budgie cage with a towel, then brought him on top of the traveler's cage when setting up his cage..

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Ahhh I see- that makes more sense.

I'm sorry if you've already answered this- but do you plan on putting kiwi in quarantine?? Or taking him to an avian vet soon?? My concern is that you bought him at a bird show, and he could've contracted diseases from the other birds there and could spread those diseases to your other birds [emoji33]

If it were me, I personally would practice very strict QT methods with a bird from a bird show in order to prevent my flock from becoming potentially infected....

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Very pretty zon! I would let him settle in to his new environment for at least a few days before too much contact if he doesn't "want" to be touched. I do cover all my birds at night. I'm sure once he settles and gets used to you, he will come around just fine. Patience is key...I know it's hard though..lol. Congrats!

OP
Ninjette

Ninjette

Sep 10, 2014
California
Parrots
Jenday Conure - Halo,
Ahhh I see- that makes more sense.

I'm sorry if you've already answered this- but do you plan on putting kiwi in quarantine?? Or taking him to an avian vet soon?? My concern is that you bought him at a bird show, and he could've contracted diseases from the other birds there and could spread those diseases to your other birds [emoji33]

If it were me, I personally would practice very strict QT methods with a bird from a bird show in order to prevent my flock from becoming potentially infected....
taking him to the vet this Saturday. will put him in another room after work.. he will not be in the room I sleep then.. poor Kiwi..

Very pretty zon! I would let him settle in to his new environment for at least a few days before too much contact if he doesn't "want" to be touched. I do cover all my birds at night. I'm sure once he settles and gets used to you, he will come around just fine. Patience is key...I know it's hard though..lol. Congrats!

Thanks! he still looks like a baby, very cute.. My coworker said he looks so smart by just looking at his eyes in the pic I showed her hehe
I'm just scared that he won't let me pet from front again...

Most Reactions