My new baby conure :D

chukkaj

Oct 25, 2014
malta
Parrots
6 month old yellow sided conure
Hi all,

a few days ago I posted a thread whether if I should get a conure or not.. and yesterday I decided to get and get a yellow sided conure from a breeder..

i must say that I am enjoying every moment with him. He is so tame a lovable..

I just have 1 question... is he always obsessed to go on my shoulder. that is fine by me... but sometimes he stays on the back of neck and stays nibbling with his beak... and that is very annoying and painful.. I am trying not to react but its not that easy lol then I try to give him my finger so that he will climb on it.. but he stays teasing me and hops from my left shoulder to the right shoulder... sometimes I will not manage by myself and my girlfriend will have to and remove him from me.. how is the best way to deal with this?? he does have a lot of toys in his cage.. he sometimes also tries to bite my ear... and presses hard...

this is him :) the one of the picture below hehehe

OP
C

chukkaj

Oct 25, 2014
malta
Parrots
Thanks .. that a great idea infact.. and did it with work with your conoure?? did he stop biting your neck?

here is a pic i took of him on his first day hehe

1599862_10152339237577331_4679212018887417728_o.jpg

OP
C

chukkaj

Oct 25, 2014
malta
Parrots
Awwwww you looks so cute {what's his name?}

Anywho... When I had my conure I never actually did this idea :p but I think it would work.... Do you have freckles or something on your back? Cause that's what conures like to try to 'pull off'... I think it is very common in conures to do the biting back/neck thingy. I would try to wear a shirt that covers your back. Then maybe use one of those necklace ideas :) hope this helped :rainbow1::red:

His name is Marley :)

No I have no freckles on my back.. He akways try to bite my skin..and when i cover my neck.. He goes for my ears...

Yesterday when I went to put him down by giving him my finger he kind off screamed at me.. But then after a while I managed..

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
What a great picture, he's a stunning little man!

Avoid letting him set on your shoulder until you can 100% trust him being there. I'd personally train him to master the Step Up commands before every going on my shoulders so he's trained to come off when I need him to. When he tries climbing up, try keep him placed on your forearm area. It's also much easier getting him to step off too.

Even with a lot of trust, a bird on your shoulder may see or hear something that scares them resulting in YOU getting injured.

I think that Birdlover07 has an excellent idea on the necklace.

OP
C

chukkaj

Oct 25, 2014
malta
Parrots
Thanks for your input..

tonight I will spend about 30-45mins teaching him to step up with the word up hehe

whats the best thing to use as a treat? Tried to use apple but he seems that he is not much into it...did not actually like it.. hehe

Most Reactions