Nail Clipper

Socalguy

Nov 1, 2016
Southern Calif
Parrots
Red Sided Eclectus Female
What brand nail clippers are recommenced, I bought a Safari brand stainless steel but it does not seem sharp enough.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
We got a pair at Petsmart (whatever their "house" brand is) years ago. Never found them difficult to use or not sharp enough. To be clear, you are using the special kind that are made for clipping talons and not normal human nail clippers right?

OP
S

Socalguy

Nov 1, 2016
Southern Calif
Parrots
We got a pair at Petsmart (whatever their "house" brand is) years ago. Never found them difficult to use or not sharp enough. To be clear, you are using the special kind that are made for clipping talons and not normal human nail clippers right?

That is correct

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I just checked on the petsmart website and they appear to have changed the "style" of nail clippers they sell for birds to some kind of complicated looking spring loaded contraption. This one for cats look just like what we have, besides being a different color. Nice, simple, easy to use. Never had an issue clipping Kiwi's talons with this style nail clipper:

https://www.petsmart.com/cat/groomi...aps/whisker-city-pet-nail-scissors-22993.html

P.S.- Their nails, being 'hollow' past the quick, do make a bit of a "crunching" noise when clipped and often need a quick once over with a nail file. You do need to be quick and not afraid to apply full pressure to get through the nail as cleanly as possible:)

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
I don't like nail clippers. I used them on Jasper a few times but without toweling him to completely restrain, I just didn't want to take the risk.

I use emery boards instead. He'll sit on his perch and holds his foot up for me. Much safer :)

OP
S

Socalguy

Nov 1, 2016
Southern Calif
Parrots
I don't like nail clippers. I used them on Jasper a few times but without toweling him to completely restrain, I just didn't want to take the risk.

I use emery boards instead. He'll sit on his perch and holds his foot up for me. Much safer :)

I cant get either to sit long enough to file, but I did buy a small power one that I am trying to get them use to. Easier said then done haha

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I use a dremmel instead. I like the results better and it’s harder to go “too far” and hit blood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
The Rb HATED getting his nails done SO MUCh... it was a major anxiety and battle for both of us. but then I gradually solved the problem like this. I started experimwenting with the nail-trimming perches... they can eliminate nail-trimming, which was always so stressful for me and the Rb. It took a few years, but I eventually established a pattern/rotation that keeps him trimmed. I haven't had to do his nails in 20-plus years. I keep a dowel as the main "highway" down the middle of the cage, but the special cement/trimmer/textured perches are all over.
A few brands... but there are many: Polly's Sand Walk... Pumice Perch... Trimmer Perch...
Be sure to introduce them gradually: they're abrasive to their tender feet at first. I LOVE them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
These are smooth on top and abrasive underneath. Very easy to install/clean, oo.
http://www.featherfantasy.com/sweet-feet-safety-pedicure-perch-xsmall-p-3075.html
May take a while to get the right combinations/locations, but was worth it for me and the Rb.

Most Reactions