Chris Winkler

Oct 8, 2010
Media
NW Pennsylvania
Parrots
Echo TAG,
Kodak Wt Face Tiel &
Tobi Male Ekkie
I just clipped Echos nails once again and this time he was much more cooperative. When I had Vern she would let me clip her nails no problem.

So my question is do parrots learn in time that nail clipping is not hurting them and in general become more cooperative as the get older?

erik7181

Jun 2, 2010
Media
Albums
NYC
Parrots
Sun conure
Pickle George
Green cheek
Pepsey
I think they just need to be showed it dosn't hurt. If that makes sense. The key is to make sure there calm before you start.

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Thats great!:D

I think they do learn, but I also think it has something to do with making them feel comfortable. First time I clipped Eddies nails, I toweled him as i was affraid he would struggle and might hurt himself...this did not go down well and it was very difficult. Sooo, the second time I just tucked him into a secure position just under my chin where I know he is comfortable and he didn't even know I was clipping him.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
For several months now I have filed one nail at a time on Rosies feet. She does not like it but she is used to it now. It really saves on the nail clipping. I use a small metal file meant for human nails.

Most Reactions