Nail trimming help

patterson

Nov 3, 2010
belfast, northern ireland
Parrots
vincent-b/g macaw archie-alexandrine and coming in june greenwing macaw and millitary macaw this year too fingers crossed
I just trimmed off the very edge of one of vincents claws and it's bleeding slightly is that normal? It was only the end of the nail

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I am going to assume you read up on trimming nails before actually do the task. I am also assuming you have some emergency supplies on hand for birds. This being said the bleeding should be stopped with a styptic powder. Birds do not have much blood so the sooner the better.

OP
patterson

patterson

Nov 3, 2010
Parrots
vincent-b/g macaw archie-alexandrine and coming in june greenwing macaw and millitary macaw this year too fingers crossed
yes i read up on it, i know it just slight trim u do at anytime it was just like 4 drops of blood not much and it stopped thats why im asking is it normal?i could see it if i took to much off

OP
patterson

patterson

Nov 3, 2010
Parrots
but like i said hardly took any off

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
One hint I can give you is that filing the nails is much better than a trim. I have trained my bird to stand still for a nail file. I do one nail per evening. It really works!

OP
patterson

patterson

Nov 3, 2010
Parrots
yes i was going say that far better idea filing thats what im going do rest with

willist

Sep 5, 2009
Tequesta Fl.
Parrots
CAG - Willis T.
Greenwing - Auggie
Harlequin - Connie
Blue&Gold - Charly
If you add a cement perch to his cage (make it the highest perch)you'll never have to trim his nails again.

OP
patterson

patterson

Nov 3, 2010
Parrots
Yea I got one of those

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
If you don't have any quick stop powder use corn starch or flour. It will help stop bleeding!!! Filing it is a much better choice!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts