Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
Hi everyone,
I am looking to find out information on caring for a canary. My grandfather is in his late 90's and when he passes he wants me to take his canary. I have absolutely no experience with these birds and I'm not sure what to feed him, what kind of cage he SHOULD have (his current cage is too small IMO but my grandfather doesn't understand when I try to explain).

How do I handle (do I handle?) a small bird like this?
What kind of toys are appropriate for a canary?
Does it need grit?
Do they need pellets? How do you convert them to a healthier diet?

Thanks in advance.

Mariss

Apr 27, 2015
I am in this boat myself now. My grandmother passed away on Wednesday, and we have her canary now.
So I am following this thread now .

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Our canary gets canary seed, lots of greens and sprouted seeds, no grit. We also don't handle him, just enjoy his singing.

OP
Kyoto

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
Thanks for the advice! Any word on toys?

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Oh and if you don't like the grate idea in our finch cages we put puppy pads on top of the grate. We have some finches that are ground feeders, but Steve never goes to the bottom.

OP
Kyoto

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
Oh and if you don't like the grate idea in our finch cages we put puppy pads on top of the grate. We have some finches that are ground feeders, but Steve never goes to the bottom.

I was also wondering, do you keep the song birds near the parrots? Do they keep each other company at all? I know I would never let them out together, but I was thinking after quarantine it might be nice to keep the canary and Kyo in the same room, obviously not allowing physical contact because I know Kyo would hurt him.

And if you let them out, how do you get them back in? I have Kyo trained to "go to your cage" and get a treat, but how would I train a little canary? :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Good questions. I had my finches before parrots so I wouldn't know about your most recent question. When I had Gouldian Finches, they were pretty slow compared to other finches when they'd escape, and I'd be able to sneak up on them and catch them with a fast hand.

I know that Canaries and similar birds can be trained to "go home", but in an older bird who was never used to that sort of conditioning, I imagine it will be hard to train, if not impossible. Idk, but once a bird who has a tiny cage gets out, he's not going to be thinking much about getting back in!

I'd get a canary a "flight cage" since small birds who fly ideally need a lot of space. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Products-Wrought-F040-31-Inch/dp/B00176F5L0]Amazon.com: Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage with Stand F040 Black Bird Cage, 31-Inch by 20-1/2-Inch by 53-Inch: Pet Supplies[/ame] [ame=http://birdcages4less.com/page/B/CTGY/Flight-Cages]Flight Cages for Small Birds, Flight Cages, Small Bird Cages, Bird Cages[/ame]

OP
Kyoto

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
I'm thinking probably the exact same cage as Kyo has with a few less toys to give him room to fly around may be a good idea. Or something about 36" long and 14" deep to give him lots of flight space. Anything will feel like a mansion to give given his current cage. I just gave him a few new toys at my grandfathers, hopefully he is having more fun now.

Most Reactions

Latest posts