Need help

Zohairg

Apr 22, 2015
In dubai
Parrots
Alexandrine
My alexandrine i tried to stop feed him cereals soi gave him apple and fresh banana and grapes just he taste them and dont finished and then in the morning he making to much noise couldnt sleep now i think he has 3month ( as u can see in the picture ) even water i dnt think tht he drinks water

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
It's great that you're trying to switch to a healthier diet! However, you might want to do a little research. Look up some different pellet brands (Harisons or Roudybush are a couple of good options you might look into) and see which one looks good to you. A parrot's diet can be quite complicated and it should consist of more than just fresh fruit, even though that's a good start. Here's what I feed my caique: she gets an unlimited supply of Roudybush pellets, a few Nutriberries a day, and some sort of fresh food every day (usually a piece of broccoli, carrot, apple, some beans, or whatever I happen to have in the house). She also has fresh water at all times, of course. Some people feed their parrots exclusively fresh food, but I found this to be too difficult and expensive for me to keep up :) If you feed only fresh food without pellets to supplement, it's important to balance all the food types carefully, and, for instance, not give only fruit. Here's a helpful article on parrot nutrition: Parrot Diet and Nutrition - Planned Parrothood.

Parrots can also be picky eaters. Just like people have likes and dislikes in food, parrots won't necessarily like everything you give them. They are also inconsistent sometimes, and trying the same foods multiple times on different days is a good idea sometimes. One day a parrot might reject a food and the next day love it. Just keep trying new foods until you find some things he likes. If he tastes them, that's a good sign because at least he's curious. Some birds won't even consider fresh food when it's first introduced! Another good way to get a bird to try something is to eat it yourself in front of the bird. This can help the bird understand that it is food, and since birds are social animals, they usually want to do what their people are doing too. As for not drinking water, he wouldn't be able to live long if he weren't drinking at least small amounts...are you sure he doesn't just drink when you're not there or watching? If you really think he's not drinking water it might be a good idea to take him to the vet, but otherwise just make sure there is always fresh, clean water available.

The best way that I've heard of to stop a parrot from excessive screaming is to ignore the bird when he screams. The bird is probably giving what is called a "contact call," meaning he wants to find out where his "flock" (you) is. If you respond by saying "shush," "quiet," coving the cage, etc., you are rewarding the screaming. If you respond with silence, you will not reinforce the behavior of screaming, and eventually the bird will stop. Also, it's a good idea to check on him to make sure he has everything he needs (fresh food, water, toys, etc.). Sometimes parrots call to let their owners know that they need something. Here's a helpful article on screaming: Dos and Don'ts For Screaming Parrots

Good luck!

OP
Z

Zohairg

Apr 22, 2015
In dubai
Parrots
Alexandrine
Seriously u are a helpful woman and im jealous of ur husband coz he's very lucky that he has an angel like u who care about animal u are very kind woman... Thanks for yr help and i wish if we can be friend the reason for if i need any help so maybe u can help me. And thanks lot of ur answer im really happy to find someone who can help to know wht i can help my parrot coz i start to love more than anything even i have the ring parrot but this its very special for me coz i bought him as a babe so i consider him like my son. God protect u and make a happiest woman in the world

Regards.
Zouhair

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions