Need some help choosing a cage for a Blue & Gold Macaws

DAROCK

Aug 2, 2010
South Ozone Park,NY
Parrots
3 year old Blue and Gold Macaw- Elvis
Hello everyone ! Hope all is well, I'm new to the parrot scene and I've join this wonderful forum to learn and research about Blue & Gold Macaws. I've started a thread under "Macaws" for help on choosing my next best friend.
Thank again guys ! So regarding the cages, I know bigger is better, and that's not a problem for me, because my Blue & Gold will be in my basement where I spend all of my time. I just don't know where to start looking. Any help would be greatly appreciated ! I've found two websites on the forums

Dog Crate Bird Cage Kennel With Top Quality and Wholesale Prices
untitled1

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Ebay is great for new cages. u can find huge cages for cheap. Try to look for the ones with Free shipping.

you have to be very careful about bying those cheap discount cages, most are poorly constructed and rust extremely easy due to poor quality paint jobs, with all the problems of childrens and pet toys with toxic paint comming out of China, I have very little faith that bird cages will be any different, just a heads up, might look into king cages, avian adventure or even preview cages just to mention a few brand names with pretty good track records, if your looking to save money on a cage look on Craigslist or ebay classifieds for used cages of better quality.....

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Personally, I'm partial to Kings Cages - very sturdy and well-made. They also have free shipping options from their web site. They can be expensive, but they last for years and years.

My 2nd favorite is Avian Adventures. They're often available at Petco.com for very reasonable prices.

You may find cheaper cages out there, but besides size, you want safety and quality.

OP
DAROCK

DAROCK

Aug 2, 2010
South Ozone Park,NY
Parrots

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
The Mediana Avian Adventures look a little small to me. They don't list the interior height, so it's hard to tell. The storage space under the cage is really handy.

As for the King's Cages, any of those should be fine. I'd opt for the largest if finances allow - biggest isn't always better, but in this case it is. I would prefer the 2nd one since it has 4 bowls, but that's just because I'm used to the 4 in our cages...1 water, 1 pellets, 1 veggies & sprouts, 1 treats.

I love how much you're taking this to heart and getting as much information as you can. You're going to be a great parront

OP
DAROCK

DAROCK

Aug 2, 2010
South Ozone Park,NY
Parrots
Your right, the Avian Adventures cages does look a little smaller. The King Cages are awesome, I'm leaning towards the last one, because the top opens up, and its two inches bigger.I think its a really hard decision, but looking at the King Cages, it makes it a little easier

Kaybrauer

Jul 13, 2010
Long Island, New York
Parrots
8 Parakeets, 6 Cockatiels and and awesome Grey.
I do see what ur saying about getting cages from Ebay, i just have never had a problem so i just try and save some cash. Gotta do what ya gotta do right lol.

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure: Kiwi

Pacific Green Rumped Parrotlet: Peeps
How much are you willing to pay for a cage? Because there are some nice ones on Drsfostersmith.com. The Cages are kinda spendy(you could probably get a good one for a macaw for about $600 but anything else would probably be higher)so it's your choice if you wanna spend the money or not. Remember that the cage you buy will be your Parrots home that he will live in for the rest of his life. I'd agree that old cages and things off Ebay could be dangerous because of the rust or other terrible things for your bird. That's why i'm buying a brand new cage for my Green Cheek instead of getting a used one. Better to spend more money on a good cage than to spend less money on a cheap cage.

Last edited:
OP
DAROCK

DAROCK

Aug 2, 2010
South Ozone Park,NY
Parrots
Thanks Mrspy ! I don't mind spending about $ 800 or so for a cage .I really don't want to cut back on a cage, because I know that will be the parrots home for life. I was going with Kings Cages, because I heard a lot of good things about them. Its really hard finding a cage :(

Most Reactions

Latest posts