New 3 month old Quaker

OP
FloridaParrotLover

FloridaParrotLover

Dec 12, 2019
Central Florida
Your Quaker is so dang ADORABLE! She's in her awkward phase between baby and teenager. SO CUTE! you have a ton of little projects for her to use, learn and entertain herself with! Excellent job.

Thanks.

she is becoming a hand full.

she does flight training good, right to me, UNTIL she had enough then she will find a new place to fly on to.

when she does that, I put her in her cage for awhile.

but I'm glad for the most part that she fly's right to me and either on my finger, perch stick or head. I have the head landings lol

now as for the couch and watching TV, nope she wants all my attention... fly's on me, I put her back on her perch, nope back on me... trying to break her of this, that's why all the chew and play things I'm making as I think of some. Have to put the remotes under a towel... she wants to eat them. lol

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Wow!!! All looks so great!!! And she is doing wonderful ! Mine will only train fir a short time.
Have I missed the name? Does she have a name yet? Very adorable and yes they live to cuddle. Yiu have really gotten a great young bird, sbd one who clearly already loves yiu!! Do sweet

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yiu have made such progress with your new baby! And built lots of great fun stuff! Already have her flying to you!!!

How about veggies? What veggies are yiu offering? Quaker’s really seem to like sbd take to veggies quickly. Hit red chili peppers have lots of vitamin A and parrots love them. Leafy greens to , Romain, arugula, water cress and so on. Fresh green beans, cooked sweet potatoes, raw zucchini, cucumbers, I do use frozen veggies that I thaw ( never ever use canned) thawed peas are a big hit, thawed corn ... broccoli they seem to prefer fresh

This newly weaned age, is an important time. And they are more willing to try new things as the flock would be teaching them. I find offering them spread out in shallow dish or plate helps. As does offering the veggies outside of the cage... maybe it’s like foraging?? Definitely read up on foraging sbd start out very easy . Months down the road yiu can do more truly foraging.

This is a really great time to introduce as many people as you can to the burd. Keeping very postive lots of treats . Like yiu can put the bird on their finger say hi then you take bird back. Or just have people say hi and offer a treat. Safflower seeds are a great treat and easy to use. My burds hsve this as part of their healthy seeds. And they still will work fir them .

My diet is probably 50% seeds ( no peanut they grow fungus , ) 30-40 veggies , leafy greens, nuts, ( less) fruit , the rest pellets. When they get up and I let them out it’s all veggies ive prep, and their pellets , when I clean up the veggies I put out their seeds. Their cages have seeds and pellets at all times. I’m. It saying my way is perfect just letting you know what I do. Also I used to have a GCC who only ate one type of pellet. So I make sure my parrots eat many different kinds, oven baked bites, zoo preen, TOPS , ect

Last edited:
OP
FloridaParrotLover

FloridaParrotLover

Dec 12, 2019
Central Florida
Yiu have made such progress with your new baby! And built lots of great fun stuff! Already have her flying to you!!!

How about veggies? What veggies are yiu offering? Quaker’s really seem to like sbd take to veggies quickly. Hit red chili peppers have lots of vitamin A and parrots love them. Leafy greens to , Romain, arugula, water cress and so on. Fresh green beans, cooked sweet potatoes, raw zucchini, cucumbers, I do use frozen veggies that I thaw ( never ever use canned) thawed peas are a big hit, thawed corn ... broccoli they seem to prefer fresh

This newly weaned age, is an important time. And they are more willing to try new things as the flock would be teaching them. I find offering them spread out in shallow dish or plate helps. As does offering the veggies outside of the cage... maybe it’s like foraging?? Definitely read up on foraging sbd start out very easy . Months down the road yiu can do more truly foraging.

This is a really great time to introduce as many people as you can to the burd. Keeping very postive lots of treats . Like yiu can put the bird on their finger say hi then you take bird back. Or just have people say hi and offer a treat. Safflower seeds are a great treat and easy to use. My burds hsve this as part of their healthy seeds. And they still will work fir them .

My diet is probably 50% seeds ( no peanut they grow fungus , ) 30-40 veggies , leafy greens, nuts, ( less) fruit , the rest pellets. When they get up and I let them out it’s all veggies ive prep, and their pellets , when I clean up the veggies I put out their seeds. Their cages have seeds and pellets at all times. I’m. It saying my way is perfect just letting you know what I do. Also I used to have a GCC who only ate one type of pellet. So I make sure my parrots eat many different kinds, oven baked bites, zoo preen, TOPS , ect

I git ger some ZuPreem FruitBlend Flavor Pellets Bird Food for Medium Birds https://amzn.to/2Enavfe
and Hartz small bird feed that I mix in with the pellets.

https://amzn.to/2EmxTJN

no veggies as of yet, been busy making toys LOL

Yes I need to go shopping for some.

will pickup some Safflower seedssoon

I have a foraging mat coming in today, will hide some treats in it.

Thanks for your input and advice, I enjoy reading what would make for a happy Quaker.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
There is a time limit for when you can edit...
I’ve just given up on all my typos and such ;)

OP
FloridaParrotLover

FloridaParrotLover

Dec 12, 2019
Central Florida
There is a time limit for when you can edit...
I’ve just given up on all my typos and such ;)

I kind of thought as much... I need to reread what I type before I hit reply.

Today I was adding some plastic chain in her cage, she was close-up checking out what I was doing, then I added her first Cuttlebone and she was right there in the cage and on top of what I was doing, started chewing on the Cuttlebone as I was mounting it. She is definitely not shy or skittish at all, more like curious. Then I started putting some of the plastic chain on her piece in the Kitchen, she stopped with the Cuttlebone and flew over and on the perch and started playing with the chain while I was adjusting it. Glad she is not skittish, but she needs to let me at least finish first lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts