New addition

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
since there is no obviouse wound on its leg, i assume the issue is lack of calcium, whether caused by no supply of cal or cannot absorb enough cal.
normally i will give him a big cuttlfish bone for everyday chewing and, most importantly, take him to the soft sunshine for 30 mins to one hour everyday, just help absorbing cal.
then the leg gets stronger gradually within one week.

same thing happened to my cocketial and alexanderid, but they are sound and healthy now.

--parrot owner from China

It's not really a wound, if you look at one of the first pics you can see how one of her legs is off to the side at an angle. That's what splayed leg looks like.

Icy, I'm fairly certain she is actually a she because her cere looks just like my other budgies when I first got them, but we will see in a few months!:D

P.Y

Jul 11, 2012
Guangzhou, China
Parrots
cocketial and alexanderin and the coming Derbyan parakeet
since there is no obviouse wound on its leg, i assume the issue is lack of calcium, whether caused by no supply of cal or cannot absorb enough cal.
normally i will give him a big cuttlfish bone for everyday chewing and, most importantly, take him to the soft sunshine for 30 mins to one hour everyday, just help absorbing cal.
then the leg gets stronger gradually within one week.

same thing happened to my cocketial and alexanderid, but they are sound and healthy now.

--parrot owner from China

It's not really a wound, if you look at one of the first pics you can see how one of her legs is off to the side at an angle. That's what splayed leg looks like.

Icy, I'm fairly certain she is actually a she because her cere looks just like my other budgies when I first got them, but we will see in a few months!:D
cannot see the pics, so i just assumed.
thanks to that explanation, now i know the difference between splay and lame, poor english.
here we use a flexible 8 shape ring to correct the splay leg, but only workable for baby less than 15 days.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Thanks for the link.
Chinese is such an amazing language, I just don't understand how you remember all of those symbols! I could never learn it, but that probably has something to do with my memory loss.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
That's why I went back to check on her, because I knew the only thing they would have done would be to put her down because they can't sell sick or injured birds. They put them down because it is cheaper to do that then to get them treated by a vet.
She is so gentle, she lets me pet her and hold her. She was the only one clipped in the cage at the store, which I thought was odd, so she can't fly but she try's to. I put two perches in there for her because she was going to sleep on the side on the cage but I didn't want her to fall so I put a rope perch in there for her to sleep on.
The first thing I did when I got her home was give her food and water, she ate non-stop for 10 min, poor thing would have starved to death at petsmart. I just hope she is a female so I can eventually try to put her with my other two budgies.
Where did you hear that? I work at petsmart and we would never do that, we are always taking animals to the vet, the small animals go to the in house Banfield vet while exotic animals/birds go to a vet at a different location. You also should of received that budgie for free as a adoption because of it's leg. Currently at the store I work at we have 2 hamsters for adoption(one because it has bumps on it's legs that the vet said is harmless, and another has a unusually large lower lip. We also adopt out any fish that are missing an eye(s) or are deformed along with any fish born at the store, or anything else born at the store(such as a guinea pig who came in pregnant).

If you think they are putting down pets because they don't want to treat them please tell corporate, that is horrible and they should be ashamed.

Please know that not all petsmarts are bad, at the store I work at we all love the animals we have and do our best to educate the pet parents and even refuse to sell if we feel they are going to endanger the animal.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
I'm sure it's not all petsmarts, but I have seen the news shows on undercover workers at petsmart/petco and they show they just put them down. Im fairly certain mine does it too because I have seen sick or injured birds one day and never seen them afterwards, they just don't go back in the cages so I assume they are getting rid of them.
My local petsmarts and petcos are really bad, all of the animals are sick, their cages are broken, the food for their animals are disgusting, the water is nasty and none of the people know what they are talking about. But the petsmarts in westlake(rich neighborhood near me) are wonderful! The conure cages are big enough for macaws, they eat pellets, none of the budgies tail feathers are messed up, they are all happy and playing with their toys and the people their are friendly, they still don't know what they are talking about, but they are friendly.
I agree I should have gotten her for free but I didn't want to argue too much because I still have to shop there.

Last edited:

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I'm sure it's not all petsmarts, but I have seen the news shows on undercover workers at petsmart/petco and they show they just put them down. Im fairly certain mine does it too because I have seen sick or injured birds one day and never seen them afterwards, they just don't go back in the cages so I assume they are getting rid of them.
My local petsmarts and petcos are really bad, all of the animals are sick, their cages are broken, the food for their animals are disgusting, the water is nasty and none of the people know what they are talking about. But the petsmarts in westlake(rich neighborhood near me) are wonderful! The conure cages are big enough for macaws, they eat pellets, none of the budgies tail feathers are messed up, they are all happy and playing with their toys and the people their are friendly, they still don't know what they are talking about, but they are friendly.
I agree I should have gotten her for free but I didn't want to argue too much because I still have to shop there.
That's so sad :( I've been to some stores where the employees are so clueless it drives me nuts. At the store I work at they have me(I know a lot about parrots and birds, fish, snakes, and I'm learning about other animals) and the pet care manager knows a ton and we also have a ball python breeder who knows a massive amount about all the reptiles and fish.
Usually when a animal disappear they go into the quite room, that's a room where we QT any sick animals and also treat them with whatever the vet has prescribed or suggested we do. When we have them for adoption we either keep them in the quite room or the new arrivals room and don't openly display them and wait until we find knowledgeable/caring people willing to learn who we can offer them too.

I've seen that news show too, but I thought they ha stopped. I guess not all stores will. Definitely report them if you think they are though.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
I can't report them because I don't have any real prove. The conditions of their animals aren't extremely horrendous but they aren't good but that won't get them shut down. I don't think there should be any petsmarts or petcos because they support animal cruelty(bird mills,dog mills ect.) but they will always have pet arts which sucks because not only do they support the mills but they take away all competition for small family owned shops.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
That's why I went back to check on her, because I knew the only thing they would have done would be to put her down because they can't sell sick or injured birds. They put them down because it is cheaper to do that then to get them treated by a vet.
She is so gentle, she lets me pet her and hold her. She was the only one clipped in the cage at the store, which I thought was odd, so she can't fly but she try's to. I put two perches in there for her because she was going to sleep on the side on the cage but I didn't want her to fall so I put a rope perch in there for her to sleep on.
The first thing I did when I got her home was give her food and water, she ate non-stop for 10 min, poor thing would have starved to death at petsmart. I just hope she is a female so I can eventually try to put her with my other two budgies.
Where did you hear that? I work at petsmart and we would never do that, we are always taking animals to the vet, the small animals go to the in house Banfield vet while exotic animals/birds go to a vet at a different location. You also should of received that budgie for free as a adoption because of it's leg. Currently at the store I work at we have 2 hamsters for adoption(one because it has bumps on it's legs that the vet said is harmless, and another has a unusually large lower lip. We also adopt out any fish that are missing an eye(s) or are deformed along with any fish born at the store, or anything else born at the store(such as a guinea pig who came in pregnant).

If you think they are putting down pets because they don't want to treat them please tell corporate, that is horrible and they should be ashamed.

Please know that not all petsmarts are bad, at the store I work at we all love the animals we have and do our best to educate the pet parents and even refuse to sell if we feel they are going to endanger the animal.

I worked at a petsmart too and I can't remember ever having to put an animal down. Our store had two back rooms that were not open to customers, there was a new arrivals room where the animals would stay the first few days to a week so we could observe them and make sure they were healthy before putting them on the sales floor. We also treated all of the hamsters for wet tail when they came in, they didn't all have it but it's caused by stress so it's best just to give them the medication as a preventative so they don't develop it.

Then there was the Isolation room, that is where any sick or injured animal would go. They had nice cages that were set up with food, toys and bedding(if they were allowed to have it). Each one had a clipboard that had a chart that had to be filled out twice a day and any important paperwork from the vet. Twice a day we would have to go back and check on each animal, give them any meds they may have been on and then mark down on their chart any observations for that morning/night. If an animal had any visible deformity or injury, was aggressive, had been in the store for treatment so long that it was considered "older", or was born in the store(mainly fish and finches), they were adopted out free of charge. But they all were treated by certified vets. We didn't have a vet working in our banfield facility so we had to take them all to the local vet. We had a chinchilla that we treated for giardia for months, it had racked up quite hefty vet bills and in the end, after he recovered we adopted him out for free to a nice family. I also got to take my managers company credit card once or twice a week and go to the grocery store to get fresh food for all of the animals. We gave all of our birds and small animals fresh food everyday, the herbivorous lizards got fresh food twice a day and we even gave our fish slices of zucchini and oranges every morning :)

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
None of the animals at my local ones get fresh fruits/veggies, only the ones in westlake do.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
None of the animals at my local ones get fresh fruits/veggies, only the ones in westlake do.

Sounds like they need some new management in that store. If you are ever feeling activisty(yep, that's a word now :09: ), you could call headquarters and just say that you have been to several other petsmarts that treat their animals very well, giving them fresh foods and good environments but you couldn't help but notice that store X does not and it seems like that store is not up to the high standards they have set as a company. It may not accomplish anything but if you approach it the right way I wouldn't be surprised if they sent some new blood over to that store to fix some things up. All it takes is one bad store manager to ruin a store. That one person dictates how every other employee is trained and if they are trained from the beginning to feed crappy food and never clean cages, etc, the store is going to be a mess.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Thats a good idea Icy.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I can't report them because I don't have any real prove. The conditions of their animals aren't extremely horrendous but they aren't good but that won't get them shut down. I don't think there should be any petsmarts or petcos because they support animal cruelty(bird mills,dog mills ect.) but they will always have pet arts which sucks because not only do they support the mills but they take away all competition for small family owned shops.
They don't support dog or cat mills(petsmart does display adoptable animals from the local rescues). I remember watching very sad YouTube video about the suppliers, it was heart breaking! Hopefully it's better now, although we do get some animals sick they are generally healthy.

My main reason for working there is being able to educate "pet parents", too many people don't understand how to properly are for their pets.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Oh yeah, I meant to say they support small animal mills, my bad. Either way they support animal cruelty and I hate it, but I love that you work there and you are actually educating people on animals instead of just selling animals.

bridget503

Oct 7, 2011
Media
LaGrange, Il
Parrots
Baby Blue Budgie, Indy, Tic Tac, Freeway, Misty, Nipper, Kiwi, Evan, Sidney, 4 new ones not yet named, RIP Elbee, the lovebird
My local Petco had a bird that was obviously sick, was huddled on the cage floor and fluffed up, and didn't move around like the others. It was like this a few days(i went in every day to check on it), so I told the people there about it. The next day it was gone, but I kept going back in just to check. 2 weeks later, it was back, and it was healthy and playing with the others. I talked my boyfriend into buying it, but it was sold before I got back there. I was happy it was okay.

Most Reactions

Latest posts