Jenv1990

May 2, 2020
Media
Albums
Montana
Parrots
GCC Mango
Hello All,
I brought home my new baby, Mango, a few days ago; my first bird ever. She is 8 weeks old and a pineapple GCC and we live in Montana with my husband. She did wonderfully on the drive home and bonded to me very quickly the next day. She has almost mastered step up.She can be a little nippy when mad or scared but we are working on that and it is going well so far. I could tell she was irritated the other night while on my shoulder and i put her down in her cage and she pooped lol. I think that was a one off but I was excited. The breeder started her on a seed diet and we are having issues eating pellets. Oh she was mad when I only gave her a few seeds with more pellets and some veg so we are working on weening her off seed. She loves blueberries but she doesn't seem to want any veg or other fruit. I was eating a salad and offered her some lettuce and she screamed lol. Any advice on getting her on pellets and eating fruits and veg would be awesome or anything else for that matter since I am a noob.
I was washing my hands in the sink and she jumped right down to take a bath.... sooooo cute. I dried her a bit with a towel and she dried herself the rest of the way. She loves to beep at the microwave too lmao.
Anyway, thank you all for being here I have gotten lots of answers to my questions from reading your posts.:green1:

Attachments

• 20200430_170432.jpg
    20200430_170432.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 96

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Congratulations! Welcome! I wouldn't rush on pellets. I would start offering lot of veggies and leafy greens. I try and offer about 4 different types a day. I tend to offer in one to two inch cube size or whole ( theyve gut beaks they like to destroy stuff with) I offer scrambled or boiled eggs when ever I have them, I had feed bits of anything parrot safe I'm eating, a d I hand feed pellets during the day to. I didn't want picky parrots, they have about 4 different types of pellets, and they do eat them, they eat seeds to, millet spray, veggies, hot peppers dried peppers, . They have little stations with different foods, and I share my foods with them.rhey eat everything and will at least try anything I offer by hand.

So that was a li g winded way to say expose that baby to lots and lots of different foods!!! They are program to learn from the flock at this poi t! A r I use wide shallow casserole dishes to seve veggies in, tgeydo best if spread out easy to see and do t have to stick their head in some dark deep hole for food lol

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Welcome and congrats on your new feather baby! Is this your first bird? I ask because I have a post that I would like to share with you if it is.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Okay cool- I will post it. It's long, but I found myself typing it all the time because a lot of it isn't common sense, so I will post that in here as well! Instead of posting the wall of text here (lol) just follow this link. My post is the 4th one down I believe...you can't miss it, as it is massive, but please do read it all :)
http://www.parrotforums.com/new-members-welcome/85485-hello.html <---read here

again- welcome!

Last edited:
OP
J

Jenv1990

May 2, 2020
Media
Albums
Montana
Parrots
GCC Mango
Ok so I knew about the teflon and thought I didnt have any....guess what lol I'm off to costco for new pans and pots. I'm also picking through the seed and keeping the sunflower ones for treats only.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Stainless is easily found for much lower prices at thrift stores-- vintage Revere ware is a good old brand that I use and I find it all the time...it is stainless w/ a copper bottom. There are some safe cookie sheets that they sell at Walmart but they are few and far between-- I will have to get you the name of the one I ended up buying. Teflon has been around since the 30s or 40s, so old doesn't mean safe (at all) but I know that all of my Revere Ware has been great for many years. Certain ceramic pans are also safe (but that takes a bit of research). Aluminum can be safely heated, but there are other controversies around eating the contents (as I am sure you know). USA cast-iron is safe, but it has to be seasoned, and the high temps required for seasoning are dangerous to a bird's lungs-- so never season with a bird in the house...I don't know if brand-new cast-iron is safe, but the stuff that has been around for ages generally is.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jenv1990

May 2, 2020
Media
Albums
Montana
Parrots
GCC Mango
Also I have redwood perches I found on the beach near Humboldt for her to chew is that wood ok

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Welcome to you both! Here is a link for good wood and bad wood for parrots, it’s one of the most complete that I’ve found. https://mdvaden.com/bird_page.shtml

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Also I have redwood perches I found on the beach near Humboldt for her to chew is that wood ok

Not if they are salt water or random lake water (too much junk in the water---plus, salt is bad)..and not if you don't know the tree they came from. Trees absorb chemicals, like salt, run-off, pesticides etc..Plus, you need to know the wood-type and bake them etc to kill of bugs (even if wood is safe). yes- wild birds chew stuff, but your bird is not wild, so it lacks the same immunity--plus, many wild birds die.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your beautiful Mango!

Transitioning to a healthy diet can be challenging. A few of our popular threads may be of assistance!
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html

May I share a respectful bit of advice regarding Mango's bell in picture? The "clapper" stalk is often chewed by birds and bits of metal can cause irreparable harm via poisoning. Unless you are absolutely certain the bell is 100% stainless steel, best to remove the bell or at least delete the clapper. Won't make noise, but will be far safer.

Most Reactions