New Green Cheek Conure!

XystSin

Feb 6, 2014
Last night, I got my first bird. She was a rescue green cheek, and I had been looking for a green cheek for a while. We've got her home. She has inside and outside cages for during the day at night. She's started eating and is comfortable with people. Only thing is she is outside screeching? For some reason, I cannot for the life of me find anything about green cheek noises, and their meanings. I would just like to know the reasons she is making the noises, so I can do something to keep her happier, if her being unhappy is indeed the problem. Thanks!

ErichT

Jan 5, 2014
Media
Spring Hill,Florida
Parrots
Mango - Sun Conure
Kiwi- Green Cheek Conure
When she is outside can she still see you? I have found in general my Conures don't like to be alone. Also she may need to get used to one cage at a time. Moving a new bird in and out may stress her/him out more then help.

Kissed82

Dec 28, 2013
Denver -ish
Parrots
Nero-B&G Macaw-hatch 12/20/11-DNA male
Ocha-G Quaker-7yo- Female
Razzbin-Jenday Conure- hatch 1/21/13- ?
Your guy is still new to your house. It will take time on both your parts to get use to one another. Moving can be very stressful for your bird. All birds even the same species sort of have their own sounds, body language will help a lot more then those sounds. At least for me they do. Spend time learning your new baby. Congrats on the new addition!

I personally would use caution to answering those screams.

my Jenday conure will make chatty sounds and if those go ignored she will scream... Her scream is saying hello! Im here, pay attention to me. So I always try and make sure to visit with her when she is chatting because those are the sounds I perfer her to make her requests in. Screaming I ignore.

So if your guy is asking for attention with a scream, that is a bad habit to encourage. They are very smart and they will TRAIN you. Try and pick up on your guys more subtle ques and praise those.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
The bird does not do well being separated from her flock (you) and so she us calling out. I advice keeping her inside with you or get a companion bird for the outside.

Ashleigh86

Sep 12, 2013
California
Parrots
Female Sun Conure-Indy Female pineapple green cheek-Tiki
Does your birdie have some shade being outside? I read that being in direct sunlight for too long will make them scream...not sure how true this is, but Indy is a lot less quiet when she's in half shade and half sun

Last edited:

Most Reactions