New guy here.

IMSA87

Apr 4, 2015
Kingwood Tx
Parrots
3 year old male Military Macaw(buster) , 5 year old female yellow cheek cockatiel (cleo), 16 year old male white face cockatiel (frosty)
Hello my names rick, I'm 27 and live in kingwood Tx. I've loved birds my whole life, in fact my 1st job at 14 years old was a bird tamer at my local pet store when living back in PA. I've worked with everything as small as a parakeet all the way up to the big boys in the macaw family as well s a number of wild birds (I've tamed a crow and a robin a number of years ago.) I've been out of it for a while now but I'm getting back into it with my own macaw

This s frosty. he is a 16 pushing 17 year old whiteface cockatiel. I picked this little guy up from my 1st job, I handled him from just a chick, It got to the point where I would walk into the aviary at work and he would not leave me alone so the owner of the store gave him to me, He's a tough old brute and will stand off with just about anything but outside of that he has been one of the best pets and friend I've ever had. He is also very special to me being that he still whistles a small short tune my grandmother used to whistle to him.

This is Cleo, she is a 5 year old yellow cheek cockatiel. Its a rather sad story behind this bird. My brother had bought her to mate with frosty my whiteface since he had outlived his other mate a pearl cockatiel. we have had cleo for about 5 years and she is one of those birds my brother brought home out of nowhere. the sad part about this bird (as well as frosty) about 5 months ago my younger brother had taken his own life, and these 2 birds were the last ones to see him alive just before he passed and myself I was the last person he talked to before he passed. they are ok and everything but I could tell from the both of them for a good couple months they were sad over it frosty is a very avid clear and beautiful singer but for a good 3-4 months he would not make a peep until just recently. Cleo is just a loud screamer, she was not ever tamed and I have tried to tame her but shes more of a happily caged bird and goes nuts when I take frosty out to hang out with me here is a pic of the 2 of them on our drive to tx cleo is in the front (the seed at the bottom of the cage was done to weigh the cage down for transport I don't keep them like that)

And last but not least is the big boy, Buster. I recently found him at a farmers market, I have not had him checked up but he seems to be a very healthy 3 year old male military macaw, We are still in that learning to trust each other phase of ownership but I already have him saying hello (simple flock word) and taking carabineer toys from me and throwing them into an empty food bowl, I'm slowly getting there with him but he is a smart and very calculative animal just in looking at him in any given situation you can almost see the gears turning in his head and I've honestly never encountered a bird with his level of inelegance and will most likely be asking for info/help with him

Also I cannot leave this little mongrel out, this is my dog milliy, shes a part lab part pitbull, We adopted her from the SPCA and she is one of the most loving dogs you will ever meet, shes also Very funny not the brightest but love her none the less. Just have to brake her of doing her business in the house and making my back yard look like a moon landing

well looking forward to meeting some new friends on here, god knows im going to need some advice with buster lol

:green1::grey::grey: Also excuse the typos, my laptop is currently on its last legs

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hello Rick, and a warm welcome! :)

Loved reading your introduction! My deepest condolences about your brother. :( That had to have been incredibly difficult.

You have a beautiful family there, including Milly! :D

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hi Rick, Welcome to the forum! Nice to see a fellow Texan and birdlover.

You have my heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your brother.

You have a wonderful group of pets, thank you for introducing them. Enjoy your stay.

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Wow this place in loaded with Texans! I'm up in DFW. Great to meet you--you have beautiful birds! :)

OP
I

IMSA87

Apr 4, 2015
Kingwood Tx
Parrots
3 year old male Military Macaw(buster) , 5 year old female yellow cheek cockatiel (cleo), 16 year old male white face cockatiel (frosty)
Nice to meet you all and thank you for the welcome.... I'm listening to busters daily morning scream off with my other 2 birds as I type this but I think its starting to come to an end, opened the cage up for him a little while and I think he's starting to come around. he came out for a little bit and did a little exploring around his cage

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Welcome to the forum with your beautiful babies!

Very sorry to hear about your younger brother.....

OP
I

IMSA87

Apr 4, 2015
Kingwood Tx
Parrots
Again thank you for the warm welcome and I appreciate the thoughts for my brother. I'm making some progress on buster. I forgot to mention this but as if this post I have only owned him for about 4 days he took a good chunk out of me yesterday but today I braved up and was able to bring him out of the cage on my arm and had him hangout with me for a little bit. once you get past his rebel I have come to see he is a really sweet bird and also very vocal.

Luna

Banned
Banned
Mar 10, 2012
Canada
Parrots
I have Psittacidae
Hello, I think you should think of Cleo as a White face. Her mutation looks like that because the ( Lutinin ) yellow colour is absent. If she were mated to a yellow ( Lutino ) male they could have a few white ( albino ) grand children. Good luck D.D.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome! Your fids are gorgeous, that's crazy that you found Buster at a Farmer's Market! My daughter got my OWA at a yard sale.
I am so sorry about your brother.
I'm glad you joined us and I look forward to hearing more about all your babies.

Luna

Banned
Banned
Mar 10, 2012
Canada
Parrots
I have Psittacidae
Sorry for that post I missed the paragraph and was misled by what I thought was the caption for the white face's photo. As you see I can be dumber than I think I am. Here I should insert an apologetic smiley face ( I can't even pronounce their correct name )

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Lots of Texans... and lots of experienced mac owners on this board.

Militaries are one of the beakier macaws. And if they haven't been handled in awhile, and have been locked up too much, that's the usual reaction.

Getting out, getting handled, and interacted with will go a long way toward turning that one around. But once you start getting that bond thing going, you should be golden.

Militaries are easier to read than most. When they're really, really mad, they get the feathers up, and their faces turn bright red... so... you can't say they didn't warn you!

Most Reactions