New here, glad i stumbled here.

oreosnow

Dec 28, 2017
Hello! I love parrots, grew up with one. My mom got her parrot for her 13bday. His name is chuckles and he is a amazon red lored. He was a baby when he was brought here. He loves my mom but im his favorite <3 chuckles is my best friend. Hes the one living thing that brings me utter joy and happiness.

Now that im a adult now and learning my path in life, i want parrots to be a big part of my life. Ive been thinking about volunteering at a sancuary , just to help these lovely souls and fill the world with joy.

Im also trying to train my bird (hes a little shy to new things so its difficult) plus i dont even know where to begin. Just been buying toys to make him think.

My big dream is to find a parrot that i can adopt. I have a huge cage with plenty of toys and love to give. I also want chuckles to have a friend. Thinks itll be good for him .

Anyways yeah long post but oh well. Hope this site isnt dead, excited to be around like minded people.

Sent from my A570BL using Tapatalk

OP
oreosnow

oreosnow

Dec 28, 2017
Welcome. I assure you these forums are not "dead".
Yay! So excited now. Also sorry if my post seems all over, sleep deprived right now. Thank you for the welcome!

OP
oreosnow

oreosnow

Dec 28, 2017
Welcome volunteering can be very rewarding, I do it and feel I make a difference
How long have u been volunteering? I would be doing it now, just the distance is a issue for me, sadly

OP
oreosnow

oreosnow

Dec 28, 2017
Ive been thinking on it. I have a adult male amazon red lored. I know i want another parrot in my life, still not sure on the species. I was going to adopt one that was a adult but after thinking on it long and hard, i want a baby bird!

It feels like the right decision for me. Guess my next step is going to be researching breeds and find a seller/breeder.

Im excited for what my future may hold. I just hope whatever bird i end up with gets along with my chuckles.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Just remember, if yu get Chuckles a friend, there is NO gaurantee they will get along. Or they may bond to each ther and leave you in the cold. 2X the parrots means only 1/2 the time with CHuckles, 2x the expense 2x the mess.

OP
oreosnow

oreosnow

Dec 28, 2017
Welcome and be welcomed. Just remember, if yu get Chuckles a friend, there is NO gaurantee they will get along. Or they may bond to each ther and leave you in the cold. 2X the parrots means only 1/2 the time with CHuckles, 2x the expense 2x the mess.
Thats a good point. The mess part is no issue for me ( clean freak lol).

But that could happen your right. Might just be a chance i have to take with caution. I have to think harder, im willing for the new challenges ahead but i have to keep chuckles interests first. Hes been around other birds before and got along decently (at a distance). He never saw another parrot though, so that leaves a HUGE what if for me.

My mom ( his real owner) said that parrots get along better with other parrots. Shes been taking care of birds and parrots her whole life, all i know about parrot care is from her. My heart keeps telling me that its the right decision

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Welcome! Whether you decide to adopt or get a baby bird - good luck :). I can say that I volunteer at a sanctuary/rescue and have formed bonds with some of the adult birds there - so it isn’t necessary to get a baby to have a great bond. I have 2 conures at home, and there is a 5 year old sun conure at the rescue that is very attached to me and will likely end up in my flock eventually lol.

If you are undecided what kind of bird you want, volunteering is an excellent way to get exposure to different species and help out at the same time!

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Welcome! I agree with the previous poster that an adult parrot can form just as strong a bond as a baby. Babies grow up and go through hormonal phases that can be very trying. An older bird is likely through the worst of that, plus their personality is more obvious, plus they really need a loving home.

If you have room for two big cages...and if the neighbors don’t mind the extra loud volume of two parrots in a screaming competition...and money for two vet exams...then you have the basics. It’s a gamble whether the two will get along...they might compete for attention, develop mental problems if they feel left out, might like each other and not you, or all might be great. It’s good you’re taking your time with this.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
I have two Red Lored Amazons

Primor is ten and Abba is Thirty six.
How old is your Mom's RLA?

I have only had Abba for about three years but you have know idea how bonded she is to me (and me to her.)

they do not get along at all.

You can learn a ton on this site.
its priceless for a parrot lover.

OP
oreosnow

oreosnow

Dec 28, 2017
I have two Red Lored Amazons

Primor is ten and Abba is Thirty six.
How old is your Mom's RLA?

I have only had Abba for about three years but you have know idea how bonded she is to me (and me to her.)

they do not get along at all.

You can learn a ton on this site.
its priceless for a parrot lover.
Thank u so much! That's what I've been searching for online for like ever! And ours is 27

OP
oreosnow

oreosnow

Dec 28, 2017
Welcome! I agree with the previous poster that an adult parrot can form just as strong a bond as a baby. Babies grow up and go through hormonal phases that can be very trying. An older bird is likely through the worst of that, plus their personality is more obvious, plus they really need a loving home.

If you have room for two big cages...and if the neighbors don’t mind the extra loud volume of two parrots in a screaming competition...and money for two vet exams...then you have the basics. It’s a gamble whether the two will get along...they might compete for attention, develop mental problems if they feel left out, might like each other and not you, or all might be great. It’s good you’re taking your time with this.
I got room, and i live in the backwoods of the country. Dont have to worry about neighbors.

Its a hard decision. Babys are just so cute, and im not interested in having children of my own. And baby birdies just melt my heart. And the idea of him growing up with me warms my heart

But then on the other hand i wanna adopt a older bird, closer to chuckles age who already has a good sence of who he is.

Im pretty certain that i want my own bird within the year (well next year

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome! I also have a RLA, he is younger than yours (he is almost 11).
We also have a Yellow Crowned and Orange Winged Amazon, and none of the 3 like each other at all. Our OWA is in love with our Pionus.
All of our birds came to us older with the exception of a conure who was 6 months old.
Babies are wonderful as well, looking forward to hearing what you decide on.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If you are looking for a certain breed of parrot, then I'm afraid you'll be stuck with english budgies! ;)

If you are looking for a particular species though? Well, the options are plentiful! :D

It's great that your mother is such a bird lover and it has rubbed off onto you! Not too many people inherit birds from their parents, or if they do, keep them. It's great to see otherwise!

Most Reactions

Latest posts