Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
We're home from the store and vet exam. He did great . He is exhausted:)! Chip is a hand fed tame budgie, so that helps, he is very calm. This is his quarantine cage. In the 'real' cage he won't have dowel perches, and will have a ton of toys. Being a cinnamon, his back is actually brown, although it looks gray in the pics. I love his color.

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Absolutely precious!
And what a lucky little guy he is!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Welcome home, Chip!!!

Yeah, those really are some beautiful colors, Jules!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
When do you get the test results? And has he shown any interest in his toys?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Julie he is cute cute cute!! Welcome to the family little guy!

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Thank you :D!

Vet test results should be next week I think. This one is extremely interested in toys! Even though he was exhausted, and he only had newspaper on the bottom of his crate to "play" with, he started using a flap of paper as a toy. He was playing at the store, and almost immediately when he was put in his temporary cage, he started playing with a toy :D. He hopped on his swing, but I'm keeping an eye on him to make sure he knows how to get down, after all he's only 8 weeks old (past weaned). I've never seen any species start playing with toys so soon in an unfamiliar environment. I'm going to have to stock his cage with more things!

Edit: He has started to eat, and I saw that he can get down from his swing too. I've never had such a well adjusted budgie before. Usually they take a while to eat and play.

Last edited:
OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
And has he shown any interest in his toys?

Yes :) already! I can't believe what a well adjusted bird Chip is! He explored his cage, ate some food, and started playing with his toys! He is tame and engaging and not afraid when you go up and talk to him. In his first couple hours home, he acted like he's already been here a while.

Chip is the first bird I've ever had (of any species) that has acted this comfortable upon first coming home. It's amazing.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Julie, I am so happy for you and Mink. Chip is stunning, and I agree the coloring is magnificent.

You did the right thing on every level, Julie. One more like-kind bird is minimal work!

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Julie, your little guy is GORGEOUS! I love the English budgies. If I had the time, space, etc etc. I'd definitely have 2 or 2 or 20 :)

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Well Done Chip for being so good at the vet...I think you are Adorable ... Hope all the tests bring good news :)

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Julie, your little guy is GORGEOUS! I love the English budgies. If I had the time, space, etc etc. I'd definitely have 2 or 2 or 20 :)

Thank you Karen :). After quarantine he's going in the same double flight cage as Mink, so no more work or time spent there. If I did have the means, I'd have an aviary full!

Actually I decided to get him since we lost Twigs, and I felt so bad for Mink being all alone when I'm gone during the day since she's away from the parrots. It's my opinion that budgies need same species friends unless closely bonded with a human. I hope to still work with Chip consistently keep him tame while he's in the cage with Mink. Mink is fairly tame still, but has lost it a little.

Well Done Chip for being so good at the vet...I think you are Adorable ... Hope all the tests bring good news :)

Thank you Mary! This bird store that I got him from is great... They give a FREE first vet visit at a certain avian vet (who happens to be my vet)! :)

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Chip is so cute and cuddly that I can barely stand it. I'm suffering here :D! He loves to have his soft little face and neck scritched. He closed his eyes and moved his head to make sure I got all the spots :). He's so tiny it's hard to get used to lol.

So apparently, this is how we eat pellets from a dish.

I got him this dish for veggies, but he hates eating out of dishes. He looks thrilled doesn't he?

This is what he prefers. So when he's done, he can kick it around and make a big mess of course.

Last edited:

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Love the pics of this little guy. I think Budgies are Fab little guys and the ones I know just like Chip all prefer to eat from a food tray on the floor I have two I babysit from time to time and their dishes are all low down on the floor of the cage and sort of shallow ...not deep like a parrots and they eat just like Chip and play with the food when they are finished. Ilove it when they look fir scritches but they are so small Im almost afraid they will break when I finger scritch them...Chip is Adorable I can see he has stolen your heart. Fab pics of the little heart thief :)

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I love this bird...ugh the cuteness is over the top. Budgies are totally underrated. Enjoy your new baby and keep the pics coming!!!!!!!!!!

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Thank you Mary :) he has definitely stolen my heart already. I hear you, he feels so delicate that I'm afraid I'll break his neck with my finger when I pet him if I'm not careful :eek:.

I'm thrilled that he's this tame though. He was handfed for the last little while before weaning, but is more tame and trusting than usual at the beginning.

Edit: Thank you LeaKP :). I'm glad you enjoy the pics of my little cutie!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Great update, Jules! I'm glad Chip is bringing you so much joy. Well deserved, my friend.

Such a beautiful budgie!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Its amazing,isn't it? On what an ounce or two of fluff can do to someone lol. I LOVE his light blue! Blue being my fav colour anyway. I just want to rub my nose in his little chest. :p

Jim

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Some of the smartest and sweetest birds I've ever met have been budgies. Sounds like Chip is going to be one of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Chip is a beauty, Julie! Proof that big personalities come in small bodies. Glad he is bringing you so much love and pleasure!

Most Reactions