New little boy!!

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
I love that video ...I posted it in the budgie section a few days ago...they are Fab arent they :)

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
How often do we hear of a velcro budgie? I think Chip definitely has the personality to become one real soon! He deoesn't want to go back in the cage after cuddling. He is hard to put back... he learned how to climb back up our hand and arm fast to get out again. Hes hard to get off your finger, you practically have to "wipe" him onto the perch lol, but he's developing a technique so that it doesn't work! And it's so adorable it kills me!

We had such a nice cuddle session today. The soft little guy enjoyed being petted and snuggled as much as I enjoyed doing it. I'm still getting used to his tiny size. Even though he's English, and quite a bit larger than a standard budgie, he still feels so tiny and delicate in my hand. I didn't have anyone available to take a pic while I was petting him unfortunately. Since I had to use my other hand to take the pics, I still got some precious ones.

Here he's lying flat because I was petting him. He's waiting for more snuggles! :)

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
He is Adorable ...he is indeed fast becoming a velcro budgie...he is so soooo cute and so trustingly vulnerable in your hands. I get a major bug of Budgieitis every time I see his pic and read about his antics and I have to hold myself back from getting a budgie to add to the flock. I almost got one just before Mr Biggles arrived but as Mr Biggles was so ill I didnt ask again about baby budgies but who knows what might happen in the future :)
Gorgeous pics of Chip the Velcro Budgie :)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Beautiful pics of Chip, Jules! What a sweet and loving character he has!

Velcro budgie! I love it! Keep those pics coming!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Chip is so adorable :D Its hard to believe you can hold one of these tiny creatures in your hand that God made for us to love and cherish and enjoy,and this tiny thing can be so trusting of us!

More Velcro Chip pics please!

Jim

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
He's a beauty! He looks very much like my first bird, Tweety, but Tweety was a darker blue but had that super fluffy head, lol. I'm glad he's coming home with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
He is Adorable ...he is indeed fast becoming a velcro budgie...he is so soooo cute and so trustingly vulnerable in your hands. I get a major bug of Budgieitis every time I see his pic and read about his antics and I have to hold myself back from getting a budgie to add to the flock. I almost got one just before Mr Biggles arrived but as Mr Biggles was so ill I didnt ask again about baby budgies but who knows what might happen in the future :)

I think you should go for it Mary ;) lol. I know I have "Budgieitis"! It's funny how it happened too... I never wanted budgies back when I was a newbie. I wasn't the least bit interested in them. I've had birds for a very long time, and I only just got my first budgie at the end of 2012!

I've kept large birds before, now medium, and then most recently, tiny! Haha I'm going backwards from most people :D. There's something about "small and cute" that just grabs my heart!

It's just too bad that English budgies are said to have maximum lifespan of 7-10 years. About like a giant breed dog. A standard (non-English) 'can' live up into the late teens. Hopefully Chip will go against all odds!

Thank you Stephen :). I did get lucky with Chip. Robin is my only other bird out of 5 birds who I can pet all over and cuddle (no hormonal probs with him either).

They say budgies, even hand fed tame ones, generally get more independent when they're mature. It will be interesting to see if Chip will still maintain the same level of cuddliness when he's mature, as long as I handle him regularly.

Chip is so adorable :D Its hard to believe you can hold one of these tiny creatures in your hand that God made for us to love and cherish and enjoy,and this tiny thing can be so trusting of us!

Jim

Thank you so much Jim :D. Chip blows you kisses lol.

He's a beauty! He looks very much like my first bird, Tweety, but Tweety was a darker blue but had that super fluffy head, lol. I'm glad he's coming home with you.

Thanks Tracey! I'm glad Chip brings back warm memories of your first bird :). He's been here for one week now. He can't wait to stop living in the quarantine cage! He's too active for the smaller cage, and he goes nuts when Mink calls to him. I can't wait either. It will be so much easier once he's in the double flight cage.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots

I think you should go for it Mary ;) lol. I know I have "Budgieitis"! It's funny how it happened too... I never wanted budgies back when I was a newbie. I wasn't the least bit interested in them. I've had birds for a very long time, and I only just got my first budgie at the end of 2012!

I've kept large birds before, now medium, and then most recently, tiny! Haha I'm going backwards from most people :D. There's something about "small and cute" that just grabs my heart!

It's just too bad that English budgies are said to have maximum lifespan of 7-10 years. About like a giant breed dog. A standard (non-English) 'can' live up into the late teens. Hopefully Chip will go against all odds!

Thank you Stephen :). I did get lucky with Chip. Robin is my only other bird out of 5 birds who I can pet all over and cuddle (no hormonal probs with him either).

They say budgies, even hand fed tame ones, generally get more independent when they're mature. It will be interesting to see if Chip will still maintain the same level of cuddliness when he's mature, as long as I handle him regularly.

Jim

Thank you so much Jim :D. Chip blows you kisses lol.

Thanks Tracey! I'm glad Chip brings back warm memories of your first bird :). He's been here for one week now. He can't wait to stop living in the quarantine cage! He's too active for the smaller cage, and he goes nuts when Mink calls to him. I can't wait either. It will be so much easier once he's in the double flight cage.
Ive had Budgieitis on and off for a while now but little Chip is the trigger of my last and most severe bout. If Mr Biggles hadnt been ill I would already have a budgie and as soon as Mr Biggles is given the all clear by my AV I will see about getting one. The ones Ive seen here are I think a cross between the English and the standard budgie and as far as I know their lifespan is around the 10 year mark too but some can live well into their teens. I have had budgies in the past. I had 3 pairs and hand raised the babies and that all started with a rescue budgie found in a garden and homeless that I took in and as it seemed to want other birdie company I got him a hen and though budgies dont usually produce babies without there being other budgies around these two set up nest (i had a nest box in their cage) so I got intrigued and got two more pairs the other two pairs produced babies also and all were hand raised...all the babies went to great homes. I also fell in love with zebra finches at that time and hand raised one he was adorable and if you think your budgie is tiny you should see the size of the baby zebra finch that I hand raised. It was like a little moth in my hand. The zebra finches layed lots of eggs but then deserted them at last they sat on one to hatch point and then deserted the new baby in the nest and that was the little one I hand raised...he stayed tame all of his life and I never parted with him though when I found myself in a wheelchair I rehomed the parent birds as I simply wasnt able to get into their flight cage to clean it etc from the chair. I think if you keep Chip handled and give him lots of cuddles he will stay a velcro budgie for all of his life. The ones I raised stayed very friendly and attached to their person as they grew older...last I heard (I hear from their moms and dads often) they are still that way and are friendly with anyone who gives them attention too but always fly back to their person...Chip will stay a velcro budgie for life if you encourage him. He is Adorable. I always wonder why bird people advise a budgie for beginners because they are so delicate and you do need a gentle touch not to injure them and handling one properly and looking after its needs requires as much time and knowledge as you need for some of the larger parrots. My other passion in parakeets is Kakariki I never bred them but had several as pets. I adore them too :)
Looking forward to seeing and hearing lots more about Chip and making my Budgieitis even worse LoL :)

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Ive had Budgieitis on and off for a while now but little Chip is the trigger of my last and most severe bout. If Mr Biggles hadnt been ill I would already have a budgie and as soon as Mr Biggles is given the all clear by my AV I will see about getting one. The ones Ive seen here are I think a cross between the English and the standard budgie and as far as I know their lifespan is around the 10 year mark too but some can live well into their teens. I have had budgies in the past. I had 3 pairs and hand raised the babies and that all started with a rescue budgie found in a garden and homeless that I took in and as it seemed to want other birdie company I got him a hen and though budgies dont usually produce babies without there being other budgies around these two set up nest (i had a nest box in their cage) so I got intrigued and got two more pairs the other two pairs produced babies also and all were hand raised...all the babies went to great homes. I also fell in love with zebra finches at that time and hand raised one he was adorable and if you think your budgie is tiny you should see the size of the baby zebra finch that I hand raised. It was like a little moth in my hand. The zebra finches layed lots of eggs but then deserted them at last they sat on one to hatch point and then deserted the new baby in the nest and that was the little one I hand raised...he stayed tame all of his life and I never parted with him though when I found myself in a wheelchair I rehomed the parent birds as I simply wasnt able to get into their flight cage to clean it etc from the chair. I think if you keep Chip handled and give him lots of cuddles he will stay a velcro budgie for all of his life. The ones I raised stayed very friendly and attached to their person as they grew older...last I heard (I hear from their moms and dads often) they are still that way and are friendly with anyone who gives them attention too but always fly back to their person...Chip will stay a velcro budgie for life if you encourage him. He is Adorable. I always wonder why bird people advise a budgie for beginners because they are so delicate and you do need a gentle touch not to injure them and handling one properly and looking after its needs requires as much time and knowledge as you need for some of the larger parrots. My other passion in parakeets is Kakariki I never bred them but had several as pets. I adore them too :)
Looking forward to seeing and hearing lots more about Chip and making my Budgieitis even worse LoL :)

How interesting Mary, about the Zebra Finches. I bet they're absolutely TINY as babies!! Even budgies, I've heard if you have to hand feed from a young age you have to be so extremely careful because they're so small and delicate that you can injure or kill it with your finger accidentally. Speaking of small babies... I once had a fruit tree in the yard which housed a hummingbird nest. I saw the tiny little nest with eggs, and followed it until the babies fledged. It was interesting to watch over the weeks. When the babies got bigger, mom had to sleep outside on a nearby branch.

As far as budgies being recommended to beginners... I guess because they're easy as far as temperament goes. But one thing I've noticed is that they are actually more delicate health wise as opposed to most larger parrot species. In that regard it does take more bird knowledge IMO to keep them healthy and as long lived as possible. And you're right, you can't be too klutzy with your hands or you can accidentally injure the petite little guys!

Ps... Chip looks forward to making your "Budgieitis" even worse :18:.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots

How interesting Mary, about the Zebra Finches. I bet they're absolutely TINY as babies!! Even budgies, I've heard if you have to hand feed from a young age you have to be so extremely careful because they're so small and delicate that you can injure or kill it with your finger accidentally. Speaking of small babies... I once had a fruit tree in the yard which housed a hummingbird nest. I saw the tiny little nest with eggs, and followed it until the babies fledged. It was interesting to watch over the weeks. When the babies got bigger, mom had to sleep outside on a nearby branch.

As far as budgies being recommended to beginners... I guess because they're easy as far as temperament goes. But one thing I've noticed is that they are actually more delicate health wise as opposed to most larger parrot species. In that regard it does take more bird knowledge IMO to keep them healthy and as long lived as possible. And you're right, you can't be too klutzy with your hands or you can accidentally injure the petite little guys!

Ps... Chip looks forward to making your "Budgieitis" even worse :18:.

Ha ha Chip I have only to think about you and my Budgieitis is worse already :) :)
It must have been awesome watching the little hummingbird babies grow and fledge...what a treat...they are so tiny even slightly smaller I think than the Timor Zebra finch. We dont have humming birds here. I was in the petstore today getting a couple of new chewey toys for Mr Biggles and I had to drag myself away from the Budgie section...no handsome English Budgies though like little Chip with the fluffy faces...they also had Kakariki there so I really was so good to have only returned home with the chewey toys and some treats :)

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Chip and his favorite toy :). I have some more of those little dangles I have to put on it.

He loves his bell so much, he even naps by it

He also guards it... watch out! Look how intimidating he looks!

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Awwweeeeeee the Handsome Chip :) Adorable little man playing with his bell and his ball...Gorgeous pics Julie :)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
What beautiful pics of little Chip! Great that he's so into toys, too! Does he do the eager dance whenever you approach?

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
What beautiful pics of little Chip! Great that he's so into toys, too! Does he do the eager dance whenever you approach?

Thank you Mary and Stephen :).

As of this weeks update, he is a little more skittish around me in the past couple days, which surprised me seeing how 'tame' he was before even asking for cuddles. I think possibly at the beginning, the handling and cuddles actually comforted him, instead of how a parent raised budgie would freak out. But now he is assessing things a little differently since he is more used to his surroundings and is more confident. Just a guess. I intend to handle him enough to keep him tame. Even then, being hand fed for the last few weeks before weaning, he should never 'completely' lose all tameness.

His weight is good. It dropped there for a while (as is common with young birds) despite his good appetite, but he is back up to where he was when I brought him home. His tests came back all good :).

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
More adorable pics of Chip :)! The baby boy fell asleep while eating lol. Here's the cutie by his food dish.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Lullaby and good night little Chip'gone to bye byes...how Adorable the little darlin ...hee hee it must have been a yummy dinner. He's absolutely Gorgeous :) Great pics :)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
What a handsome little guy!

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Thank you Mary and Stephen. It looked like later on he did it again, only with his head IN the dish. I couldn't catch a pic though. So funny, babies just sleep whenever, wherever! Baby birds are no exception :).

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
He is Adorable Julie. Ive only known two handtame budgies in adulthood my friends pair Custi and Gelato that I used to babysit before they moved to the UK and they were really big into cuddles but I didnt know them at Chips age so perhaps they go through stages of independence before they become cuddle bugs again I dont know but a hand tame should remain pretty tame as he grows up...I dont know how Elsa was raised but she is also big into her cuddles...it tiok her a couple of days though (best part of a week ) to start to snuggle though ...I bet Chip will also look for cuddles as he grows up... he is Adorable...so glad all the vet tests came back okay.

Most Reactions