New Member's New Lovebirds

greadlee

Apr 15, 2016
Hi there, i have a male lovebird i ve recently got it from pets shop for single female which i have already caught from my balcony, the are not loving each other the female hitting the new male because he has refused to play with her, she likes him but he is not interested in her 2 days now he is very sleepy and tired and not playing and singing like before and taking a side of the cage and sitting there spreading his feathers can you help with any wise, appreciate it thanks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
G

greadlee

Apr 15, 2016
Re: Meet Nash!

da93f72b51506c6711e1e4291cd5c9dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hello Greadlee, and welcome to Parrot Forums! Your lovebirds are beautiful!

If I'm reading your post correctly, you recently bought a male lovebird as a companion for a female that you found on your balcony, and you are now faced with two issues: A) The male seems to have no interest in the female, which has triggered a hostile response as she apparently does not take rejection very well. B) The male has now become lethargic and puffs out his feathers all day.

Okay, a few things. First, having caught that bird on your balcony, have you taken all appropriate steps to reunite her with her former owners? (Assuming you don't live in an area where wild parrots are seen regularly... which would of course raise a whole other set of questions about the ethics of capturing a wild bird, but I digress.)

Second, you haven't had either bird for very long. They should have been quarantined from each other.

All that said, I think that you should get the male lovebird to a veterinarian right away. (Both of them, actually, for wellness exams at the very least.) What you are describing sounds like a bird that is ill. Birds always attempt to hide their illnesses, so by the time you are noticing any symptoms, things might already have become quite serious.

And as for her attacks on him, if they are serious enough you should separate them. When birds have animosity between them, sharing a cage can lead to rather serious injuries.

Please keep us updated on their situation.

Most Reactions

Latest posts