New Owner - 20 Year Old Amazon

ScottG

Jul 30, 2014
Hi, I need some advice/help:

My uncle, Kevin, has had a yellow-naped Amazon, Andrew, for 21 years. He has spoiled this guy rotten--he went to Starbucks every morning for a banana nut muffin, would go to brunch all the time, and even on bike rides and trips in the convertible.

He's always been given a healthy diet. Pellets, in addition to breakfast of a 1/4 of a granola bar, and dinner consisting of sugar snapped peas, carrots and some type of fruit (apples, blueberries), along with the occasional treat of french fries and ice cream.

I lived with my uncle, his spouse, and Andrew for 4 years. He never warmed up to me and always saw me as competition for Kevin's time. He would often try to bite me whenever I was near. He has, however, always loved young women. He goes crazy for them, talking and whistling and walking up their arms, happy as can be.

Recently, my uncle has been diagnosed with a rare lung condition that is caused from the proteins in Andrew's feathers and feces. It's causing his lungs to fail and he has to give up Andrew for adoption.

I've offered to take Andrew, but am scared that after 21 years with Kevin, he won't warm up to me as a new owner.

A little bit about me: I'm a 28-year old male living in New York City (Brooklyn) with 2 other roommates. I work about 50 hours a week and am fairly active.

I know that my uncle would rather a family member take him, but given his previous love of the ladies, and how hard of an adjustment this will be for him, would he be better off with a female owner?

Any advice or helpful tips on adopting a fully mature parrot is welcome!

Thanks,
Scott

Most Reactions