New Parrot Owner

DestinyLynette

Jul 17, 2014
Parrots
Ranger, Green Cheek Conure
Hey there! My name is Destiny; my boyfriend and I recently adopted a green cheek conure from where I work at a pet store. He's been with us for a day now; he is a little under five months old. He seems to be taking to Roudybush pellets without too much of a hitch. Here are some of my biggest questions:

1) How do we potty train him?
2) How long until his wings grow back? (they came clipped)
3) How do I encourage him to try new foods?
4) Can you point me to a good source blog for teaching him tricks?
5) Anything we should know that new owners often don't?
6) We found this thing where if you send a feather they'll test to see if your parrot is a male or female. Has anyone used this? How accurate?

He's a huge cuddler, and likes laying with us / sticking his face in soft things. He's extremely affectionate. We have him in a 24"w x 22"d x 68"h playtop cage + multiple branches and toys throughout. I think the cage dimensions, not counting the playtop or casters, is 24 x 22 x 37.5; I'm hoping this is good for him for life?

We found the parrot wizard / trainedparrot.com blog but there's no search bar (that I've been able to find) so it makes finding what we're looking for fairly difficult.

Pictures coming soon, they're all on my phone and not the computer as of now :p

Ducatimom

Jun 10, 2014
Media
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
6 yr old Sun Conure (Ducati)
Hi Destiny! Welcome!

There is a search function on here with loads of very informative posts that I think could give you some good answers to your questions.

As far as getting him to try new foods, I would say give him some in a bowl and some for yourself. Take a bite and make a huge deal over it, then give him some to try. Think of it as trying to get a kid to try new foods.

Most Reactions

Latest posts