New to the forum

whiteosiris

Apr 7, 2013
Sanford,Fl.
Parrots
Cockatiel,Blue Indian Ringneck
Hi. I am new and I havent even had to time to put in info but I have a quick question. I am very close to getting a male blue fronted amazon thats 4 yrs old. The person im getting him from says that he is completley perch trained and has no cage. I am new to larger parrots and I was wanting to see if anyone could tell me if that means he will stay on the perch while im away or no. I wouldnt dare leave my other parrots out of the cage without supervision. Is this going to be an issue for me trying to to get him cage trained or does fully perch trained mean he wont leave the perch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thnaks.....Mark

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Welcome to the forum! In regards to allowing a bird to be out while unsupervised, I would personally never allow it. There are just too many dangerous things they could get into (electrical cords, household cleaners, small items to swallow ect...) as well as the fact they can be destructive (chewing wood panelling, ripping up furniture ect...). Parrots need some sort of enclosure (be it a cage, indoor aviary, specially designed bird room ect...) to be safely inside when your out of the house or not able to keep an eye on them. There are companies that sell large indoor aviaries, and with one of those, he could still stay on the perch he's used to, just inside an enclosure where he can't get into any trouble. He can also be outside his cage/aviary anytime your at home and able to keep an eye on him. Our BFA is never in his cage when someone is home (except when he sleeps). He's usually on his perch with us, or in his play-tree or just hanging out on the furniture. He gets a lot of freedom, but we are able to keep him from getting into anything bad.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I used to sell amazon babies, i said mine where perched trained because it meant they spent large amounts of time on their perch,(away from their cage). That doesn't mean they'll won't jump/fly off. Just they're used to being on a perch outside of the cage. Not a "cage bound" bird who's never been out and would freak if you put it on a perch away from is cage. It means the bird is at least somewhat socialized. Someone takes it from the cage to the perch and back again. Which should mean that someone handles the bird and the bird can entertain it's self. Perch Trained , might be different in your home but if true then i'm sure you can reach a good compromise, LOL. It's terminology from the past, before people wanted harness trained flighted babies. "Perch Trained" is a blessing compared to a house full of flighted/fledging amazon babies.

Last edited:
OP
W

whiteosiris

Apr 7, 2013
Sanford,Fl.
Parrots
Cockatiel,Blue Indian Ringneck
Thank you for all the good advice. Unfortunatley it didnt work out and I didnt get him today. Maybe thats a good thing because th guy I was getting him from said he had never been in a cage at all and then all of sudden I stick him in one. I will keep looking. Thanks again

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
Welcome to the forum. Sorry it didnt work out for you to get the Amazon, maybe another better suited for you will come along.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Welcome to the forum:)

Most Reactions