new toys

clofromco

Oct 17, 2014
colorado
Parrots
Scarlet macaw
I am always looking for new dyi toys for nemo. He loves to take things apart, but gets expensive. I was wondering if anyone has used building blocks...the ones we get our kids or, in my case, grandkids. I know the colors are non-toxic, but are they safe forparrots. Also thinking about duplo blocks. Any ideas?

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
My wife found some oversized Tinkertoys at a local thrift store. Our 'zon Sammy has, over the past few months, loved them out of existence! There are only a few short pieces left (the rest became sawdust & splinters), and he plays with them every day. He also has a spinning-pointer-with-match-the-shapes toy (also for children - lots of large, brightly-colored plastic parts) that never lacks for attention.

Local thrift stores can be a valuable resource for inexpensive cast-off toddler's toys for birds!

**BTW - I always wash stuff thoroughly with antibacterial soap & lots of hot water (several rinses) before I let the birds play with 'em. Never know what the little urchins who owned them before did with 'em! Anything dishwasher-safe goes through the machine, first. Can't be too careful!**

Last edited:

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
Remember when it came out that lead was in the paint in things made in China? Do not trust the paint on these blocks, especially if they came from a thrift store which would mean they are probably 'older' ones and highly suspicious of being unsafe.

Besides the lead it was exposed about melamine in other products and I for one don't think China has cleaned up their act and gotten this stuffs out of the products they make and it doesn't matter if things are made for babies, it didn't matter to them when they put it in the products then and I would find it hard to believe they would care about the safety of any product they produce.

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
I should have mentioned that the Tinkertoys I got for Sammy are unpainted, unfinished wood...

OP
C

clofromco

Oct 17, 2014
colorado
Parrots
Scarlet macaw
Those I remember from my childhood...so pretty anceint ;) looked at one thrift store today, no luck. Hitting the better one tomorrow. Thank you.

OP
C

clofromco

Oct 17, 2014
colorado
Parrots
Scarlet macaw
How about sanding wooden blocks first and washing with antibactrial soap?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
If you are semi handy with tools, it's quite easy to make your own Big Mac toys. :D

Here are some of the things I've made over the years:

http://www.parrotforums.com/do-yourself/38768-when-weather-outside-frightful.html

Whentheweatheroutsideisfrightfulcoloringwood005.jpg

Whentheweatheroutsideisfrightfulcoloringwood015.jpg

http://www.parrotforums.com/do-yourself/27941-post-your-homemade-toys.html

IMG_6291.jpg

IMG_6212.jpg

IMG_6102.jpg

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Jersey what did you use to color the wood ? I planned on doing something like you did this coming weekend. Would love to put color to it :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Jersey what did you use to color the wood ? I planned on doing something like you did this coming weekend. Would love to put color to it :)

Whentheweatheroutsideisfrightfulcoloringwood004.jpg

I used Vitacritter Dye. Any food dye/food coloring will do though. Just mix it with isopropyl. :) Liquids work much better than gels, I learnt that the hard way.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I am always looking for new dyi toys for nemo. He loves to take things apart, but gets expensive. I was wondering if anyone has used building blocks...the ones we get our kids or, in my case, grandkids. I know the colors are non-toxic, but are they safe forparrots. Also thinking about duplo blocks. Any ideas?

I've been buying ABC blocks for bird toys for many years....

OP
C

clofromco

Oct 17, 2014
colorado
Parrots
Scarlet macaw
Thanks birdman. Was looking in thrift stores for both, but no luck. My daughter has what appears to be rawhide chews for her cockatoo, store bought toy. Can I get unflavored dog chews and use those with blocks??

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Thanks birdman. Was looking in thrift stores for both, but no luck. My daughter has what appears to be rawhide chews for her cockatoo, store bought toy. Can I get unflavored dog chews and use those with blocks??

I would also like to know if rawhide would be safe, I think Zilla would like something like that to chew.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

I would also like to know if rawhide would be safe, I think Zilla would like something like that to chew.

Rawhide CAN cause problems if ingested. Also, ONLY offer rawhide if you know it was made in the USA. :)

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon

Rawhide CAN cause problems if ingested. Also, ONLY offer rawhide if you know it was made in the USA. :)

Thanks Wendy! I'll just steer clear of it, Lord knows Zilla doesn't need any more issues! :D

OP
C

clofromco

Oct 17, 2014
colorado
Parrots
Scarlet macaw
Thank you Wendy. Think most of them are but will check to make sure. The cocatoo just crumbles it.

OP
C

clofromco

Oct 17, 2014
colorado
Parrots
Scarlet macaw
Found a great site for unfinished birch woos shapes for toys. Craftparts.com. lots of interesting shapes..plus buttons! This is going to be fun!

Most Reactions

Latest posts