New with 3 babies :-)

Chor22

Dec 2, 2012
Hi there,

new to the forum however, I have asked for a bit of advice in the breed specific sections.

my partner and I are new to 'handraising' birds, we've usually just been owners of older birds.
currently we have:
- 1 baby alexandrine 7 weeks
- 2 baby eclectus; one male 3 weeks, one female 7 weeks

we're not sure if we'll keep all three of them for us...maybe find good homes for one or two of them after fully weaned. It's certainly been an interesting journey so far... full respect to those breeders that have many more babies to raise, it's not an easy task.

they're all great little birds, the female eclectus seems a bit hand shy and defensive...we got her a bit older from the breeder, just one week ago at 5 weeks old...maybe she'll come around, he wasn't handling her much.

i've posted some piccies of all three babies :)

Attachments

• IMG_0211[1].jpg
    IMG_0211[1].jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0177[1].jpg
    IMG_0177[1].jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0167[1].jpg
    IMG_0167[1].jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 253

Galah

Nov 28, 2012
South Africa
Parrots
Just Johnny, a Rose Breasted Cockatoo (Galah)
Welcome to the forum, hope you get to keep most of them.

Last edited:

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
Welcome to the forum. I don't have experience hand feeding ones that young. I have continued feedings of 3 to 5 month old babies. I will tell you that the bit of attitude you are getting from your Eclectus girl can be typical of the females. I have a 9 month old ekkie girl, I brought her home at 5 months& she is a true Diva. She can be the sweetest little lady one min. & a little spit fire the next minute. She has been that way since I first got her from the breeder. To me, it makes her all the more intriguing & I wouldn't take for her. And when you start hearing yours talk in that high pitched little girl voice, it will melt your heart with love & affection for her. The males are usually more laid back. The females in the wild are the dominate mate.

Good luck with your little lovelies. Sorry I couldn't help you more with the feeding questions.

Most Reactions

Latest posts