Not eating pellet food.

Kantia

Aug 18, 2012
UK, Leicester.
Parrots
Tich. A Green-Cheeked Blue Conure. Hatched 6th May 2012 <3
'Ello all!

I'm a bit worried about Tich at the moment. I've had him for almost three weeks now and he's settled in really well, eating and pooping fine and we're building up a lot of trust. The nipping has decreased a lot also! ^^

During the first 2 weeks he was on a seed mixture. The breeder told me to move him onto the Harrisons pellets shortly after. I did this about 3 days ago and he was eating the pellets fine.

However, today and yesterday he just doesn't want to eat it at all. I know he's hungry as yesterday he ate fruit and a very small amount of them (after I ate some myself and tried to get him interested). Today he was on the floor playing and he actually went over to the box of seeds and started pecking/squawking at it. :[

I don't know if he's just being stubborn...

Any ideas on what I should do? I obviously don't want him to starve, but I don't want to give into the seed mix.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Just a couple of questions (didn’t want to make a new post)
- The packaging that holds cereal (not the box), is that safe if I cut it up for Tich to play with? And also crisp packets (I’m guessing not but wanted to check)? He likes crinkly things you see. :]

Last edited:

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
Soak a few of them in apple juice...see if he will eat them then, if he does soak enough for him to have a meal. He will love the juice either way. :) if he's not eating them, be sure to give him seeds, they can lose weight so fast and get I'll just as fast. Id weigh him everyday to make sure hes not losing any weight. A good weight is around 70 grams. But anywhere from 60-80 is average. Good luck!

Thekatsmeow

Aug 14, 2012
Athens,Tennessee
Parrots
Scottie Rotten the Massively Minute Macaw
If you do choose to put juice on your pellets don't leave it out for too long because it can start to mold very quickly. Harrisons has no preservatives so moisture will spoil it fast and mold as we all know is a no no. I leave mine in for 2 hours then remove and throw away any remainder(only soak a small amount to reduce waste). Remove the container of seed mix and put it away where your bird cannot see it. Also if your bird enjoys their fresh fruit and veggies you can put the soaked mix with the others to make him think its more of a treat. Persistence pays off!

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
I'm also having a hard time getting my conure to eat healthy. He loves fruit but won't eat veggies and barely touches the pellets. I have been slowly trying to convert him. I heard it is best to start off mixing a few pellets with mostly seed and then every couple of days increase the proportion of pellets to seeds until there is only pellets. It should take about two weeks. I have tried that and Nicky started eating the pellets but wouldn't eat much so I had to go back and mix it with seeds again so that he gets enough to eat!

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
I use apple juice for my parakeets pellets. Thay love it . Put 2 spoons of pellets and a cap full of apple juice then mix it . Sprinkle a LITTLE seeds on it . If you put too much hell only eat the seeds . It's funny to see them trying to eat it . Pepsi(one of my budgies ) every time he eats it gets a clump stuck on his beak and try's to get/eat it off.:Dits also easier for them to break down and eat. My budgies could eat it without the apple juice but then the pellets would be a little too hard for them to eat. The juice also gives them some vitamins.:greenyellow:

P.s , I also visited your website. Tich is so cute !

Last edited:
OP
Kantia

Kantia

Aug 18, 2012
UK, Leicester.
Parrots
Tich. A Green-Cheeked Blue Conure. Hatched 6th May 2012 <3
Thank you all for the replies. I will certainly try the apple juice trick, although he seems to be picking at the pellets more and more. Keeping my fingers crossed! I'm also monitoring his weight and he's now 68g.

P.s , I also visited your website. Tich is so cute !

Awww thanks. :D It's mainly for memories to look back on, and for the breeder. He likes updates occasionally. :]

Loyal

Jul 22, 2012
Two things that helped me convery my Senegal over to pellets:

First, when I make her mash in the morning, I add about a 1/4 of the days pellet ration... Indy doesn't like her mash very loose, she likes it fairly thick, so the pellets act as a thickening agent.

Secondly, I crush her pellets, again about a 1/4 of the days portion, and toss her veggies in it.

She also has a second dish in her cage that's just a pellet and seed mixture. When I buy my seeds/pellets/etc, I just leave some of the pellets seperated, so that I can add them to whatever else she's eating. I sprinkle them on top of birdie bread, on top of fruit that's on my plate when we share a meal, any where I can put them.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
harrisons also makes a hot pepper pellet that may be more 'interesting'....? my bird loved it, but she loved almost everything!

Most Reactions

Latest posts