not good

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I would try an extra hour of sleep time like Bill suggested. Couldn't hurt, and may help.
Maybe also try bathing him really often, that seems to distract Ekko when he is at his worst with his feathers. There are some stretches when Ekko gets misted every day, and that seems to help some.

I'm going to try giving him 2 full showers a week at the very least. I also live in Colorado so the air is rather dry to begin with so Lincoln's vet suggested bathing him with some vitamin e oil diluted in water so I've been doing that too.

I'm not sure how much is too much, but I also would caution against excess bathing, as that can actually make the problem worse...
Have you tried misting w/o the vitamin E oil....? Many birds can feel when foreign substances are on their feather and they preen more to remove it...I wouldn't use any oil...just water...

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Have you checked your humidity levels?

Mine messes with hers more in the winter (U2) and I think it is related to lighting, dryer air and grumpier people lol.

If you don't know the levels, you can get cheap wall monitors---there is a higher than normal humidity level preferred by many parrots, but you don't want it so high that you encourage mold etc.

Have you recently gone on any trips, or changed anything (new partner/break-up/furniture/job/sleep schedule)?

No partners, dating is not going to happen for a long time. No new furniture. I started a job September 10th but this started literally in the past like 2 days. No different sleep schedule. No trips. I don't know my humidity but I'm gonna run a humidifier in that room anyways just to be safe.

Well, I wouldn't do that without checking--too much humidity can be as bad for them (mold is not good around parrots). If you do get one, research to ensure that it doesn't contain Teflon/PTF/PFOA in in the heating component. Also, use only distilled water and clean it nightly (if possible...)--The last thing you want it to spread harmful mold and bacteria all though the air. I use F10 Sc to clean mine (the yellow kind) and I also have used blue, non-concentrated Dawn, but I rinse it to death when soap is involved.

I also agree with increasing sleep by a bit (just to see) and misting (again, with very clean water and very clean bottle).

why distilled water vs tap?

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
I have no education on the subject but what noodles said about the oil makes a lot of sense.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I would try an extra hour of sleep time like Bill suggested. Couldn't hurt, and may help.
Maybe also try bathing him really often, that seems to distract Ekko when he is at his worst with his feathers. There are some stretches when Ekko gets misted every day, and that seems to help some.

I'm going to try giving him 2 full showers a week at the very least. I also live in Colorado so the air is rather dry to begin with so Lincoln's vet suggested bathing him with some vitamin e oil diluted in water so I've been doing that too.

I'm not sure how much is too much, but I also would caution against excess bathing, as that can actually make the problem worse...
Have you tried misting w/o the vitamin E oil....? Many birds can feel when foreign substances are on their feather and they preen more to remove it...I wouldn't use any oil...just water...

he usually is showered with plain water. I've only used the oil once in the past and once on Tuesday after I noticed the feather mutilation for the first time as I thought his skin might be irritated from the dry weather we have been having
I started using it after the vet recommended it to combat his dry skin / dryness of Colorado and he started improving around the time of the vet visits

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Distilled is better for the machine and it is better to breathe in--no chlorine or added minerals.

Distilled is not good for drinking (due to lack of minerals) but it is safer when using any sort of humidifier or nebulizer etc.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

he usually is showered with plain water. I've only used the oil once in the past and once on Tuesday after I noticed the feather mutilation for the first time as I thought his skin might be irritated from the dry weather we have been having
I started using it after the vet recommended it to combat his dry skin / dryness of Colorado and he started improving around the time of the vet visits

My vet recommended the extra showers for my Ekkie. I think we should follow what our vet recommends.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

My vet recommended the extra showers for my Ekkie. I think we should follow what our vet recommends.

As do I, that is why I said: "I'm not sure how much is too much, but I also would caution against excess bathing"---If the vet said to bathe x number of times a week and they are a CAV, then by all means, do so. I didn't say to ignore the vet. I just meant that there can be too much of a good thing...in case OP was thinking more baths=better (it isn't always--just depends). Also, a misting is not the same as a full shower in my mind.

Last edited:
OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I'll start at 1 thorough shower a week and if things seem to be improving I might try 2 a week and see how things go and adjust from there.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
read through it, not a whole lot of it is new to me but still helpful to refresh on it.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I HAVE been following Lincolns story, and I really feel for you, he had been doing so well . Humidity changes wouldbe my guess,that and more stimulating toys needed. Screaming parrot is one who is trying to tell you something but you're not getting it. Cry, and know your parrot forum family cries with you.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
oh dear, what's wrong Lincoln? Tell us please? We know you can imitate our language just line the right words together to tell us!

I think it could be potentially a culmination of a few things or maybe just one thing that's really bothered him. I'll just throw out my thoughts on what it could be.

1. Weather, I say because globally it seems suddenly winter decided to appear with a vengeance all over, heck even over here there's reports of snow for the weekend (unheard of in October)

2. Humidity, perhaps the change in weather has had a drastic change in humidity which is bothering him.

3. Hormones, I don't often like going to hormones as a reason for behaviors but here I think it could be that. Hormones do cause stress and with Lincoln growing his feathers back in April is often when breeding season comes to a close for a lot of parrots

I honestly think it's any of those or even a combination of them, you've got loads of advice already so hopefully you can curb this before he goes further

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I HAVE been following Lincolns story, and I really feel for you, he had been doing so well . Humidity changes wouldbe my guess,that and more stimulating toys needed. Screaming parrot is one who is trying to tell you something but you're not getting it. Cry, and know your parrot forum family cries with you.

he's been getting a new toy pretty much daily and I'm trying to introduce balsa wood to him since it's soft but he's never cared for wood. I ordered a bunch of new toy parts yesterday also including some more wood from mysafebirdstore. I'm really hoping I can get him to try wood since it takes more effort. I need to look into more acrylic foraging toys too

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Ordered 3 more acrylic foraging toys of varying difficulties. I've spent 400$ on Lincoln this week alone xD anything for my boy

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
20181026_103250.jpg

He's chewing the balsa wood! I'm so happy!

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
20181026_125854.jpg

And to think I just opted out of getting a foraging toy that requires him to use his feet because "oh he'd never get it he never uses his feet for anything other than moving around"

toy featured: just a quick something I threw together. bunch of cupcake wrappers stacked together and they encapsulate a small box with crinkle paper and a couple almonds. Just something for him to tear up while on the tstand.

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Go Lincoln. Live and learn. Timneh likes foot toys but its hard to find ones she likes. She used to love the cardboard bagels. I'm sure you'll get everything figured out soon. Maybe hes just pissed you got a job around so many other birds. LOL

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Is it maybe he's sad you're working now? He could be adjusting to the change.

Most Reactions

Latest posts