Not sure I can do it!

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
Phoebe is very quiet. She occasionally gets worked up and goes through a couple minutes of squawking, but nothing serious. She doesn't seek out things to destroy, but I also don't give her the opportunity to do so. Yes..they require time and attention, but I don't think there's anything about a Macaw to be intimidated by. You have been presented with a wonderful opportunity, but only you can decide what's best. Whichever choice you make I'm sure will be the best.

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I am going to the bird store I got my conure at to handle his b & g.
Maybe get some insight into whether I think I can do it.

I wish it was not such a rehab project. I would be confident otherwise.

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I decided for many reasons to let him know to take Rudy to the store to place.

I don't think I'll ever be a macaw person. I love my conure because he's easy to take places and my amazon because she amuses herself (and me) :)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
The only "right" decision here was doing what felt right in your heart. And I think that's just what you did.

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
That is very correct.
I hate change and having to change my whole living arrangement to make room for a toddler just wasn't appealing to me.

AJBirds

Apr 9, 2015
Parrots
Pixie - Hahn's Macaw
You seem to have taken the right decision for everyone involved! :)

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I hope she ends up being purchased by a responsible macaw owner from the store! But I'm going to go with out of sight out of mind.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I admire how responsible you were with this... really taking the time to think it through and being honest with yourself whether or not it would be a good fit in your life.

I think that many people would have been much more impulsive, and let their excitement and the fact that it would have been free, rule their decision.

You could at least feel that you did the right thing for "you" and your current happy flock. I couldn't have done it either, and I think that's okay.

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Thank you. I do know my limits sometimes.
I have my kiddos up late with me now since I was gone at work since 430. Usually if I get home at 10 I let them stay asleep. But I got home at 915. They can play for a bit :)

Quality time with the brats.

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
I admire how responsible you were with this... really taking the time to think it through and being honest with yourself whether or not it would be a good fit in your life.

I think that many people would have been much more impulsive, and let their excitement and the fact that it would have been free, rule their decision.

You could at least feel that you did the right thing for "you" and your current happy flock. I couldn't have done it either, and I think that's okay.

I completely agree!

All along you said you felt you were overthinking this decision, but I feel you gave it the serious consideration it deserved. Good for you! I hope you will never feel bad about making a decision that is the best for you and your flock.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
Oops, I don't think I did the whole quote thing correctly. Sorry about that.

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Peanut, Yellow Collar Mini Macaw -
Aaliyah, Green Wing Macaw
Good job in going through the entire decision making process rather than jumping into it. Go you!

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Now she's on craigslist. Oi.

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
He didn't list a fee on the ad. I suppose I could contact him...
But you should ;)

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
for sale

00303_gpJKz8uf3ql_600x450.jpg

Same one?

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Geeezz.. I love macaws! An old girlfriend had a magnificent B&G <Kasey> that went everywhere with Julie..and Kasey would climb up my arm and look me straight in the eyes..but he was <to me at least> VERY INTIMIDATING lol with that HUGE beak!!
But he would let me scratch his head and flip him upside down and rock him back and forth..still..he was intimidating.

Unfortunately,or not,I don't have room for another bird,and my household is content with Amy and Jonesy..

Jim

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots

RIP "pineapple" lovebird

Most Reactions

Latest posts