Not sure I can do it!

akrrm

Apr 29, 2014
New Jersey
Parrots
Swoop~Blue and Gold Macaw (30 years young)
Very beautiful! Could you visit her a few more times before you make your decision? I would have a hard time passing her up.

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Yes I was planning to go back tomorrow or wed. He isnt taking her to the store until next week to give me time.

This is a huge decision for me because I just don't know if I have the experience to do her justice. A grey or amazon I would have no doubts about. And I would figure out a way to make it work. But I'm worried about messing up. :(

Last edited:

akrrm

Apr 29, 2014
New Jersey
Parrots
Swoop~Blue and Gold Macaw (30 years young)
Yes, it is a big decision, but I don't think you'll mess anything up. I'm sure you'll take good care of her and learn as you go. My husband and I got Swoop when he was 5 months old, he is 27 years old now. There were only books, Bird Talk magazine and whatever the bird shop owner told you to do as far as feeding and care giving. A lot has changed since then, I don't even remember if there were pellets in 1988. There is so much info now and a lot of help on this forum. Maybe after another visit you'll be able to decide.

It seems risky to take her to the bird store, she could be exposed to anything there.

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I just would want her to be nothing less than a well socialized Mac. And I have no idea if she will intimidate me and I won't be able to socialize her properly.
The fact that she wouldn't step up with me standing there makes me think her neglect was pretty darn deep.

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
I met my friend's green wing for the first time today. I heard macaw screams, and experienced bluffing. I don't think they're for me ;)

Good luck with your decision making!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
He has definitely taken care of her.
But it seems like he's tired of her noise. And after talking to him more he seems to do this a lot. Rescue and rehome.
For some reason he thinks I am a better home.
He is now offering to take her to the vet just before I would pick her up to ensure she is healthy and have her nails done etc.

I'm not sure why he thinks I can do so much better by her.

From one bird lover to another, we can tell who they will do best with! ;)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)

Perhaps the fact that you'd honestly ask yourself that question goes a long way toward providing the answer.

junglenutcracker

Apr 25, 2015
Parrots
GW Macaw, CAG, eclectus (Kiwi- RIP)
I just would want her to be nothing less than a well socialized Mac. And I have no idea if she will intimidate me and I won't be able to socialize her properly.
The fact that she wouldn't step up with me standing there makes me think her neglect was pretty darn deep.

She is absolutely gorgeous!

But if you are hesitating, then I think you are doing the right thing in taking some time to make a decision. Yes, macaws ARE rather intimidating and you will need to build up your confidence to be up to the task. I know, easier said than done.
But, if you are patient, if you are deadset on making it work and if you persevere day after day (even through some setbacks) then YOU WILL succeed.

Now, I don’t in the very least claim to be a macaw expert (I’m still at Macaw University with my GW!) — there are other members on this forum with far more experience than I have but I’ve experienced such wonderful progress in just a few months with my own rehome mac that I’ve now come to a point where I just could not imagine not having her in our lives. Yep, the bond is that strong!

But if you are still hesitating, then perhaps the best decision is not to go forward. Saying no is also a good answer.

Good luck with your decision. It is big one.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
He has definitely taken care of her.
But it seems like he's tired of her noise. And after talking to him more he seems to do this a lot. Rescue and rehome.
For some reason he thinks I am a better home.
He is now offering to take her to the vet just before I would pick her up to ensure she is healthy and have her nails done etc.

From one bird lover to another, we can tell who they will do best with! ;)

EITHER THAT, OR HE'S DESPERATE TO BE GETTING RID OF HER...

Just saying.

Macaws that don't get handled enough, and don't get enough attention, act up. PERIOD! That could be all this is...

Of course , you don't really know until you get her home and start working with her.

In which case, screaming protocols are also posted...

Again, just saying.

Cuz I've never run into this problem before... EVER!

People trying to get you to take birds are basically so honest and forthcoming... really... they just want what's best for the bird!

I'll shut up now.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I met my friend's green wing for the first time today. I heard macaw screams, and experienced bluffing. I don't think they're for me ;)

That part made me laugh :D. They're not for me either.. I'm too independent of a person even IF I had enough time in the day for one in the first place.

..and the screams lol.

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Peanut, Yellow Collar Mini Macaw -
Aaliyah, Green Wing Macaw

That part made me laugh :D. They're not for me either.. I'm too independent of a person even IF I had enough time in the day for one in the first place.

..and the screams lol.

Am I the only person that thinks a macaw scream sounds like a sweet night time lullaby? lol

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm rather glad to see you are still undecided. Big macs are not nearly as independent as Amazons. They DO require/need a lot of attention, they crave it, and it should be given to them as much as possible to prevent further (future) issues. They are not the type of birds you can put on a playstand and 'forgeddabout'. Well, mine aren't. Mine would devour my kitchen in no time flat because they 'explore'.

Am I the only person that thinks a macaw scream sounds like a sweet night time lullaby? lol

Ask that question again after Kyleigh has found her voice, and has lived with you a few years. :D

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Peanut, Yellow Collar Mini Macaw -
Aaliyah, Green Wing Macaw
I'm rather glad to see you are still undecided. Big macs are not nearly as independent as Amazons. They DO require/need a lot of attention, they crave it, and it should be given to them as much as possible to prevent further (future) issues. They are not the type of birds you can put on a playstand and 'forgeddabout'. Well, mine aren't. Mine would devour my kitchen in no time flat because they 'explore'.

Ask that question again after Kyleigh has found her voice, and has lived with you a few years. :D

Haha yes! I heard some screams from a 24 year old GW the other day...OMG! Lol. Ears blown off! haha

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie

..and the screams lol.

Kyo takes up ALL of my attention already… I can't imagine having a giant sized version that makes that kind of noise all day and destroys everything in sight. I'm just not cut out to be a Mac parront, and that's okay :) I think it takes a really special person to be one and I have so much respect for the members here that are.

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I'm taking my time to make this decision not because I feel my indecision is an indicator... Rather I feel that taking on such a large responsibility for rehabilitating macaw should not be taken lightly.
I truly don't know if I'm cut out to be macaw parront but I don't know if I'm CAPABLE of getting Rudy to the point she should be as a macaw.
I wouldn't hesitate if she was already well socialized and easy to handle.
But since she has problems already and has a neglect history I want to be 100 PERCENT CERTAIN that I can take her to the place she needs to be.

I can't say I thought about it much last night... I was exhausted and fell asleep at about 930 :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Also, with as demanding as a well adjusted one is with the cuddling and attention and all - like having a little kid (which is seen as a good thing to Mac parronts), add some intense training to that on top of it.. your others are independent enough to adjust when you have your horse business that at certain times can take up all your time, and I'm sure you already thought about that ;). I know you chose not to have children, can you consider a toddler at this point?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

..and the screams lol.

WRONG TIME OF DAY...

TRY "MACAW ALARM CLOCK" - FIRST THING IN THE MORNING - GREETING THE SUNRISE... :eek:

Night time is quiet time.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Haha yes! I heard some screams from a 24 year old GW the other day...OMG! Lol. Ears blown off! haha

My neighbor was having some work done on his roof yesterday. They put the ladder directly across from the window by Maggie's cage... She DID NOT give them permission to do that! And trust me, the entire neighborhood heard about it... :p

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I'm taking my time to make this decision not because I feel my indecision is an indicator... Rather I feel that taking on such a large responsibility for rehabilitating macaw should not be taken lightly.
I truly don't know if I'm cut out to be macaw parront but I don't know if I'm CAPABLE of getting Rudy to the point she should be as a macaw.
I wouldn't hesitate if she was already well socialized and easy to handle.
But since she has problems already and has a neglect history I want to be 100 PERCENT CERTAIN that I can take her to the place she needs to be.

I can't say I thought about it much last night... I was exhausted and fell asleep at about 930 :)

Well, that's the entirely correct approach if you ask me... it's generally not something you do on impulse.

I worked with macaws for about FOUR years, before I brought the first permanent addition into my home.

Most Reactions