not yet a bird owner...

morganjay

Mar 1, 2017
Hello, Im hoping to get some insight from veteran Conure owners on what to expect with the breed.
Ive had Cockatiels and Monk Parakeets most of my life, and my oldest boy died 3 years ago and Im just now feeling I am ready to adopt again.
I only want to adopt a rescue, and have recently been in contact with someone looking to rehome their Sun Conure. They live a good distance, and before I drive all the way out to meet her I thought Id get some advice from veteran owners. I really want it to be the right fit so both bird and human are happy :)
Ive done a lot of reading about them, but would love some personal thoughts and whats it like living with a Conure? Anybody here who wouldnt mind me picking their brain and asking a bunch of questions?

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I owned a Jenday Conure in the past and he was super sweet, and they are similar to Sun conures. If I had the opportunity to get another, I'd get a Sun. THey can be so sweet, affectionate and loving companions. What specific questions did you have about them?

Also, WELCOME and it's great you are reaching out first before diving in.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome! I'm glad you found us.
And I'm glad and grateful you're rescuing a bird in need.
Suns are famously popular among conures lovers. Many fanciers here.
While you're waiting to hear from them, I suggest using the SEARCH tab above to look for previous/ongoing threads...

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, thanks for seeking answers before taking the plunge. Much respect for your desire to adopt from a rescue!!

That said, I have precious little conure experience, but others will likely stop by to share their thoughts.

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
Hi morganjay. I have a sun conure! What questions do you have?

Most Reactions

Latest posts