OP
eagle18

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
I have one Umbrella, a Bare Eye, and two budgies.
I also use the Active Topics button so I would have been able to see all of your posts. I have two budgies so if you asked any questions about budgie care I would be glad to help. I’m not an experienced bird owner though, so I might not have that much to say. This forum is a wonderful community.

Thank you, that is nice of you to offer.

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Just curious, what is the other site you’re part of? Always looking for new opportunities to learn more about how I can take the best possible care of my birds.

OP
eagle18

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
Just curious, what is the other site you’re part of? Always looking for new opportunities to learn more about how I can take the best possible care of my birds.

Avian avenue parrot forum. Very active.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
And also when I am having trouble navigating this site, some help from management would be appreciated. My request for help, go over like my posts seem to, ( a lead balloon).

I only found one thread where you asked for help, and 2 Moderators replied. Did I miss a thread somewhere?

OP
eagle18

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
And also when I am having trouble navigating this site, some help from management would be appreciated. My request for help, go over like my posts seem to, ( a lead balloon).

I only found one thread where you asked for help, and 2 Moderators replied. Did I miss a thread somewhere?

Yes, you did. In fact I made a whole post about it.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Care to share it?

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media

The problem with very active forums is that it’s hard to keep up with all the action sometimes. If I forget to visit the forum one day, there won’t be so much new stuff that I’m spending all my time going through it instead of posting. I do agree that sometimes my posts aren’t replied to though. I have one thread with zero replies.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Yes, this forum is a very active one. And while people build friendships and will likely respond to someone that they know before someone that they don't, there are new people who come on every day and quickly form friendships and notable online presences.

I suspect the difference is that they tended to bump their threads if they seemed to have slipped through the cracks. How does that happen? Well, on a particularly busy day (which oft happens hereabouts) threads can fall off the active topics list rather quickly. So if people haven't received a response within a few hours, putting up another "bump" to get your thread back up on the active topics is usually a good idea.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I would say that if someone takes the time to write a thoughtful post and only gets about four replies, than yes, it is disappointing. And it is post after post.

But it is even stranger than no one gets back to somebody replying to their response,(Or at least not me). I have been on many sites, most of them opinion sites, and have never experience that before.

It's like you guys all know one another from way back when and you are not taking the chance to get to know anybody new.

I take the view this forum is far more than a conversationalist's hang out. It is a resource for critical advice that may affect the life of their fids. Members often scan topics or use the search engine when confronted with illness or unexpected behaviors.

When creating a topic or responding, I do so knowing it is going to the universe for current or future readers. Whether or not it garners many responses is generally irrelevant. You'll note many threads have few responses but many "views."

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
in regards to the original post.

Would it be possible to track posts by individuals?

what I mean by this is as an example.

If someone took a specific interest in what I am posting where-ever it might show up they would be notified that I had made a new post even if it was a new thread altogether.

perhaps link it to being "friends" within the forum.

texsize

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
in regards to the original post.

Would it be possible to track posts by individuals?

what I mean by this is as an example.

If someone took a specific interest in what I am posting where-ever it might show up they would be notified that I had made a new post even if it was a new thread altogether.

perhaps link it to being "friends" within the forum.

texsize

That is an option at this time via Tapatalk. You can "follow" a member, and then you would be alerted anytime they made a post or started a thread.

On the forum itself, you could go to an individual's profile and search for any posts by that member, but there is no actual notification unless it is part of a subscribed thread.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I tried Tapatalk on my iPad but found it ... confusing.

I liked the fact that it would notified me when one of my post's was quoted. But it was notifying me of thing that were of no interest as well.

it's no big deal, it was just a thought.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Tapatalk does take some getting used to, and while I like some aspects of it I definitely prefer our main site. But once you get used to Tapatalk, it's great as an adjunct tool. Especially for the notification feature.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Eagle, we get lots of new members every day, sometimes seeking answers and help, sometime to just introduce themselve and theor parrot(s). The Help requests get answers the best the long time members here can give, and we have some really knowledgeable folks here ( not me). ANd if you just want to kibutz about your bird thats fine too, and we love pics ( usually of parrots, not cats wearing glasses, lol), We have a few game type threads, and some folks like to have one main thread on thier parrot, where they can post any new stuff or thoughts about thier bird ( I am guilty of that. Adding to Salty's thread is almost a highlight of my work week). If your looking for more interaction, well start interacting - contribute to other threads, if you have something to say or add. Doesn;t hurt to"thank" people who have helped or recognozed your post. We have some laughs here, but make no mistake, we is all about the parrots. SOmetimes the advice given is not what the poster wants to hear ("Can I get a quiet macaw for my 1 bedroom apartment?) Answer - NO!! Or "Will my conur never bite my 2 year old?" Answer Yes, he is gonna bite at somepooint. See what I mean? We will always give the truth and side with the parrot, cuz who else is gonna . Stick around and dive in.

OP
eagle18

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots

The problem with very active forums is that it’s hard to keep up with all the action sometimes. If I forget to visit the forum one day, there won’t be so much new stuff that I’m spending all my time going through it instead of posting. I do agree that sometimes my posts aren’t replied to though. I have one thread with zero replies.

It is busy but it has an alert feature which allows you to respond to those who have replied to your post. And people DO respond, which is the cool thing about that site. And little birds are just as important as their bigger cousins.

OP
eagle18

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
I would say that if someone takes the time to write a thoughtful post and only gets about four replies, than yes, it is disappointing. And it is post after post.

But it is even stranger than no one gets back to somebody replying to their response,(Or at least not me). I have been on many sites, most of them opinion sites, and have never experience that before.

It's like you guys all know one another from way back when and you are not taking the chance to get to know anybody new.

I take the view this forum is far more than a conversationalist's hang out. It is a resource for critical advice that may affect the life of their fids. Members often scan topics or use the search engine when confronted with illness or unexpected behaviors.

When creating a topic or responding, I do so knowing it is going to the universe for current or future readers. Whether or not it garners many responses is generally irrelevant. You'll note many threads have few responses but many "views."

I will push back a little, it is totally relevant. If few people reply than few tips are passed on to the author of that post.

For example there was a post about trying to tame a budgie, and I was the only person who replied to the kid. Not even one mod chimed in.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
OP
eagle18

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots

That's the one I found, and 2 Mods chimed in and offered help, to whom you never replied. That is in addition to the several members who also offered help.

They may have chimed in but they did not address the problem. In fact, one of the mods thought I was talking about PM'S and not responses.

I reply,and thank people, until my fingers go numb.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I am on the side of the Eagle here ... I like the option to get an email that says "Deep Beak responded to the thread 'Popcorn thieves got themselves some new galoshes'... you will not get other notifications until you visit the thread." That way, I just get one notification. My email doesn't fill up with notifications that way, but I know there is something to see.

I think most people here tend to log on, and spend some time in the Active Posts forum, and unless your post has recent replies it drops off the bottom of the page.

I don't know what options are available in the forum tools, sometimes a function is theoretically possible but not turned on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions