Status
Not open for further replies.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Okay, just to make sure something hasn't been missed here, let me point something out. You were told earlier in this thread that you can be notified via email anytime there is reply on a thread to which you are subscribed. But it occurs to me that we may be assuming that you know exactly what being "subscribed" to a thread means.

There are two ways to be subscribed to a thread.
1) Post in said thread. You are automatically subscribed to any thread in which you have posted.
2) Click on the Thread Tools tab on the upper right portion of the top post on any given page, and go down the drop down menu to the Subscribe tab. But this is only necessary if you want to be subscribed to a thread without having posted in it at all.

Now, I point that out because your main question is about the availability of a notification system. The short answer to that is yes, given that you are subscribed to the thread in question. And since you have been speaking about threads where you had posted, then it is a given that you were already subscribed to those threads.

The next logical question, then, would be, "Why haven't you received notifications if you are subscribed to all of these threads?" Well, the answer is that you have to activate the feature.

Activating Notifications:

1) Click on the User CP (Control Panel) tab up near the top of the page in the middle of that blue strip.

***Point of interest*** Your most recent subscribed threads will all appear on this page (assuming there are any recent ones). And if you want to see all subscribed threads, click on the View All Subscribed Threads option to do so. Also, any unread pm's will also appear on this page as a hyperlink.

2) Look to the column on the left hand side, under Your Control Panel. Click on the Edit Options tab under Settings & Options.

3) Once you've done so, look over slightly to your right under the Messaging and Notification section, and go to the Default Thread Subscription Mode options. There you will see a drop down window with No Email Notifications likely set as your default.

4) Click on that window and choose from the Instant, Daily or Weekly options.

5) Scroll to the bottom and click on Save Changes to activate your new settings.

Once you've done this, notifications will arrive in your email whenever anyone posts to one of your subscribed threads (if you chose the Instant[ option). Otherwise, they'll arrive Weekly or Monthly depending on your chosen preference.

OP
eagle18

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
I have one Umbrella, a Bare Eye, and two budgies.
Thank you. Most of the people that responded to this post are acting like I am a pot stirring moron.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Okay, just to make sure something hasn't been missed here, let me point something out. You were told earlier in this thread that you can be notified via email anytime there is reply on a thread to which you are subscribed. But it occurs to me that we may be assuming that you know exactly what being "subscribed" to a thread means.

There are two ways to be subscribed to a thread.
1) Post in said thread. You are automatically subscribed to any thread in which you have posted.
2) Click on the Thread Tools tab on the upper right portion of the top post on any given page, and go down the drop down menu to the Subscribe tab. But this is only necessary if you want to be subscribed to a thread without having posted in it at all.

Now, I point that out because your main question is about the availability of a notification system. The short answer to that is yes, given that you are subscribed to the thread in question. And since you have been speaking about threads where you had posted, then it is a given that you were already subscribed to those threads.

The next logical question, then, would be, "Why haven't you received notifications if you are subscribed to all of these threads?" Well, the answer is that you have to activate the feature.

Activating Notifications:

1) Click on the User CP (Control Panel) tab up near the top of the page in the middle of that blue strip.

***Point of interest*** Your most recent subscribed threads will all appear on this page (assuming there are any recent ones). And if you want to see all subscribed threads, click on the View All Subscribed Threads option to do so. Also, any unread pm's will also appear on this page as a hyperlink.

2) Look to the column on the left hand side, under Your Control Panel. Click on the Edit Options tab under Settings & Options.

3) Once you've done so, look over slightly to your right under the Messaging and Notification section, and go to the Default Thread Subscription Mode options. There you will see a drop down window with No Email Notifications likely set as your default.

4) Click on that window and choose from the Instant, Daily or Weekly options.

5) Scroll to the bottom and click on Save Changes to activate your new settings.

Once you've done this, notifications will arrive in your email whenever anyone posts to one of your subscribed threads (if you chose the Instant[ option). Otherwise, they'll arrive Weekly or Monthly depending on your chosen preference.

Thank you! I had never figured that out.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots
Thank you. Most of the people that responded to this post are acting like I am a pot stirring moron.

No, I didn’t read it that way. It’s just that many who post regularly have different habits that work for them. Or like me, didn’t know any other way to activate the feature until Spider Mod Anansi posted the detailed explanation above.

You have to admit that being owned by a parrot DOES seem to check the “moron” box for people who haven’t experienced the joy that comes with having your home and your person pooped/chewed on. We loves our bad birdies, we does.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)

Remember that the tenor of a post can often be misconstrued without the clarifying context of facial cues and tone of voice. Everyone has just been trying to help.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Ten responses, but 246 views as of this post. While it might have been heartening to have 246 replies, not every discussion point has a solution. If it were possible to overhaul this forum, we'd incorporate various tools to make the experience more interactive.

That PF has tenure and retains a significant traffic count speaks volumes about our community. Everyone is welcome to join, but the process is a two-way street! Unlike other forums, we have a basic member "badging" system that simply rewards for longevity. No treadmill of posting recency to confront. No loss of "status" for those on hiatus.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots

Ten responses, but 246 views as of this post. While it might have been heartening to have 246 replies, not every discussion point has a solution. If it were possible to overhaul this forum, we'd incorporate various tools to make the experience more interactive.

That PF has tenure and retains a significant traffic count speaks volumes about our community. Everyone is welcome to join, but the process is a two-way street! Unlike other forums, we have a basic member "badging" system that simply rewards for longevity. No treadmill of posting recency to confront. No loss of "status" for those on hiatus.

And no punishment for writing inexcusably long posts, either. Not that it applies to ME.:18:

OP
eagle18

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots

I think you misunderstood this post. It was never about a popularity contest with me, but trying to get an answer for something I have posted about much earlier and sent to management in a PM.

The first person who answered this post explained it to me and that shouldn't be his job.

Thanks to that member and a moderator I now know what to expect. Why it is so convoluted to read a response is beyond me. That is up to the engineer to explain.

And frankly, I don't like the fact that the majority of members on this site only respond to certain birds. I honestly wish now that I had not listed my birds on my profile page.

OP
eagle18

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots

No, I didn’t read it that way. It’s just that many who post regularly have different habits that work for them. Or like me, didn’t know any other way to activate the feature until Spider Mod Anansi posted the detailed explanation above.

You have to admit that being owned by a parrot DOES seem to check the “moron” box for people who haven’t experienced the joy that comes with having your home and your person pooped/chewed on. We loves our bad birdies, we does.

Obviously you didn't read all the responses. I have one angry green electus tearing me a new one.

Last edited:
OP
eagle18

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots

Remember that the tenor of a post can often be misconstrued without the clarifying context of facial cues and tone of voice. Everyone has just been trying to help.

Yes I think we all have experienced a friend loss thanks to social media.

No, I had a angry green electus get smart with me earlier on this thread.

And the fact that I have been asking for quite awhile now left me a little on the testy side.

But thank you, Anansi, for explaining to me and others how it works.

Last edited:
OP
eagle18

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots

And no punishment for writing inexcusably long posts, either. Not that it applies to ME.:18:

No, but you better make sure you have the right bird,...

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I think you misunderstood this post. It was never about a popularity contest with me, but trying to get an answer for something I have posted about much earlier and sent to management in a PM.

The first person who answered this post explained it to me and that shouldn't be his job.

And frankly, I don't like the fact that the majority of members on this site only respond to certain birds. I honestly wish now that I had not listed my birds on my profile page.

Sometimes it takes a while to get a comprehensive answer. Five volunteer moderators on staff provides no guarantee one is available at all times. The first person responded in exactly 30 minutes, per the forum clock. It is not incumbent on moderators to provide all answers despite our fervent efforts. Sometimes members are more timely or have better expertise with a given subject. We are grateful to the members at large who continuously embrace the community.

You have the opportunity to de-list your species! Not all members have a vital interest in every bird or participate in a broad spectrum of sub-forums.

OP
eagle18

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots

Sometimes it takes a while to get a comprehensive answer. Five volunteer moderators on staff provides no guarantee one is available at all times. The first person responded in exactly 30 minutes, per the forum clock. It is not incumbent on moderators to provide all answers despite our fervent efforts. Sometimes members are more timely or have better expertise with a given subject. We are grateful to the members at large who continuously embrace the community.

You have the opportunity to de-list your species! Not all members have a vital interest in every bird or participate in a broad spectrum of sub-forums.

I understand that for I have also been a moderator. But this had been going on for awhile now. And yes, I would suspect a moderator to be of more help with site navigation than a member.

But it doesn't matter because it's all good now.

No, I don't understand the selective reasoning behind answering a post due to a certain species of bird. That would be like putting up a post about my collie and expecting somebody with a pug not to understand.

OP
eagle18

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
Which birds do you feel are not posted about here?

I had no idea until I posted this thread. Look back at the previous replies. Holy cats, they took that exchange down. I said I thought Greys were the top bird and then somebody replied with "no, these are the ones talked about." And by the way, you posted that you did not think the little ones were given the same amount of attention.

Last edited:

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
No, I don't understand the selective reasoning behind answering a post due to a certain species of bird. That would be like putting up a post about my collie and expecting somebody with a pug not to understand.

I adore greys. Alas I have children, an intense homelife, and a husband who's not confident with larger parrots. I also adore IRN's. My 'tiel is my lifelong friend from before marriage, and our little lovebird belongs to my nine year old. Handling the little lovies issues, behaviour and training compared to my IRN's feels vastly different. I have one IRN who was handreared and in a good home before coming to me, and one who was handreared but untouchable before coming to me. My mother in laws SC2 is a darling, but how I approach working with him is vastly different to how I approach my IRN's and my lovebird. My IRN's are rough and tumble kinda do anything with hardly fellas, My lovebird is young and therefore we really are trying to play by the generic rulebook, and that beak on my Mother in Laws SC2 means that I am far more concious about the way I work with him.

Should it be that way? Probably not. I'm probably breaking some 'good practice' rule for some of them. My IRN's are allowed shoulder rights, the SC2 isn't, for example. But I do think bird sense is not only academic but situational. It's not a species thing, it's a familiar with situations thing, maybe.

This forum can be a little slower at times, but for me, I find it easier to keep up and easier to bond with others through it. If I have nothing to say, I try and recognise the post with a thanks.

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media

I had no idea until I posted this thread. Look back at the previous replies. Holy cats, they took that exchange down. I said I thought Greys were the top bird and then somebody replied with "no, these are the ones talked about." And by the way, you posted that you did not think the little ones were given the same amount of attention.

So any bird other than Greys will be ignored? This is entirely untrue. I do feel that small birds are greatly under appreciated, but they are still talked about a little on this forum. But you have cockatoos, so it isn’t just about size.

OP
eagle18

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots

So any bird other than Greys will be ignored? This is entirely untrue. I do feel that small birds are greatly under appreciated, but they are still talked about a little on this forum. But you have cockatoos, so it isn’t just about size.

Oh I love this, you are the one who complained about the little ones not getting the same amount of attention, and when I agreed with you, you threw me under the bus.

Annoyed-cat-via-Shutterstock-615x345.png

As I said before somebody, (other than myself) actually comprised a list of four of the most talked about birds on this site. And guess what? Neither yours or mine made the cut.

OP
eagle18

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots

I adore greys. Alas I have children, an intense homelife, and a husband who's not confident with larger parrots. I also adore IRN's. My 'tiel is my lifelong friend from before marriage, and our little lovebird belongs to my nine year old. Handling the little lovies issues, behaviour and training compared to my IRN's feels vastly different. I have one IRN who was handreared and in a good home before coming to me, and one who was handreared but untouchable before coming to me. My mother in laws SC2 is a darling, but how I approach working with him is vastly different to how I approach my IRN's and my lovebird. My IRN's are rough and tumble kinda do anything with hardly fellas, My lovebird is young and therefore we really are trying to play by the generic rulebook, and that beak on my Mother in Laws SC2 means that I am far more concious about the way I work with him.

Should it be that way? Probably not. I'm probably breaking some 'good practice' rule for some of them. My IRN's are allowed shoulder rights, the SC2 isn't, for example. But I do think bird sense is not only academic but situational. It's not a species thing, it's a familiar with situations thing, maybe.

This forum can be a little slower at times, but for me, I find it easier to keep up and easier to bond with others through it. If I have nothing to say, I try and recognise the post with a thanks.

I understand what you are saying, but as I have said before, my posts were neutral. For example, sometimes I can't stand my umbrella cockatoo, Fred. Sometimes I really want to re-home him. Now can somebody with a macaw be able to relate to those feelings? I would say yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts