Object distinguishment, tests

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Great videos, your macaws are beautiful. They are truly intelligent animals. The chicken video scared me to death, I kept looking for my neighbors bordor collie to snatch them up. lol

OP
C

CunningMoss

May 18, 2011
Interested in your training, however I have to say I'm a bit concerned about the risks you are allowing. "Walking" two birds next to a road, when it's clear that one or both can easily fly 10-15 feet in a second or two, is very dangerous. What happens if one is spooked and flies/runs towards the road when a car is coming?

Also, if the birds can't fly, they can't escape from a rogue dog or cat in the neighborhood. Believe me, you can't react fast enough to protect them if they are attacked.

Have you worked at all on recall training? If you want the birds to be free-flighted, and to be able to go out and explore... I FULLY support that... but only with proper training and precautions.

Their wings are clipped. They can't fly more than 5 yards.

Fortunately, our neighborhood isn't a busy road. We also walk in a pattern when a car approaches to which we can intercept them if they got spooked.

We don't have a lot of rogue dogs/cats around here. Every cat around here is afraid of our birds. We can protect them from a dog if necessary, we are aware of their surroundings.

There's always a risk. When you take any animal for exercise in any thing other than a completely padded room in a fort-locked warehouse, there's a risk that it could fall, or some thing could snatch it, or some thing could hit it. All we can do is our best to minimize the risks.

Most Reactions

Latest posts